Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date of 1939 Register

When was the actual register compiled?

Was it before or after WW2 was declared?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Hi there,

The date was 29 September 1939 for the register.

Bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Hi,

The war was declared on 3 September 1939.

Bcbrit
      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thanks - so were they collecting data from the beginning of Sept or end?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee,

I don't know if this will help you in your search.

Last year I looked at the local archives council meeting records and newspapers to see if I could find out where my father had been evacuated to.

During the summer holidays they had been a lot written in the local paper about evacuation routes etc, and the fact that all heads of schools knew where the school was to go.

Less than a week after war had been declared, all mothers with babies and small children, and schools had been evacuated. My father , older brother and grandmother were now in Brentwood, Essex. They had been living in Leyton, London, once Essex.

By Christmas, pretty much much everyone was back home. Then in the summer of 1940 there was the second evacuation. My dad ended up in Wales.

The local papers and council minutes were a huge help in tracing the schools etc.

Bcbrit

Comment

I maybe wrong, but I thought it was all done on the one day.

They had much of it set up for the 1941 census, and used that framework.

Bcbrit

Comment

Thanks - that's helpful.

Comment

bcbrit

I always understood there was no census taken in 1941, lest the information should fall into enemy hands. That, and the sense that there was no purpose in taking one as the country was in a state of war and therefore many millions of men would not be at home.

Am I wrong?

OC

Comment

Hi OC,

My understanding was that if the war hadn't occurred there would have been a 1941 census.

But there would have been planning for that census - getting forms updated, district changes etc - and I imagine that would have been started a few years before the actual census date.

I think they used the framework for the register itself. The fact that the register was done so quickly after war was declared means that a lot of preparation was done.

Bcbrit

Comment

Just a thought and not sure how useful. I recently found where my mother was living in 1939 - it was the electoral roll and on ancestry - as a member you can (or could - I am no longer a member) access them. It gave her address and who was living in the house. Children are NOT on it as they are not eligible to vote so that rules out anyone under 21 I imagine. Sue
                    Last edited by Sue1; 22-02-16, 10:56.

Comment

Unfortunately JB was under 21 and was resident in Sep 1939 (for how long days, weeks months isn't known). If the Register was taken at the end of Sep then she should have been there (only know place not household) if at the beginning of Sep perhaps not.
                      Last edited by JBee; 22-02-16, 11:17.

Comment

JBee

The register was taken as at 29th September, in other words, whoever was there on the 29th September.

OC

Comment

Working...
                        X