Clear All

• 1939 Register what does this mean

the words in the first column thanksGeorge Arthur Miller 1939.jpg

miller.jpg

Hi Val, date of a name change by the look of it. See Rootschat:

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

It looks like the date (of a possible remarriage?) on the upper bit to go with the surname change. 23 03 48. Maybe the other bit is a new card number? AR23?0 ANA
      I think that edits are usually green but maybe not always.
      Even CTRL+ won't let me read the other bits next to them.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

ANA is the abbreviation for the register enumeration district
        ANA = London, Lambeth

Elaine

Comment

If there is a date shown, it doesn't necessarily mean that was the date of the marriage or the name change - more often it is the date that the amendment was made in the Register, which may be some time after the event took place.
          Elaine

Comment

Looks like Winifred changed her name from Miller to Reed then back to Miller at the given dates??? or rather the date the register was changed.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-02-16, 08:33.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

thanks everybody I have found a marriage between my Uncle George and Winifred K Reed in 1950, so they weren't married in 1939 ?I did wonder if maybe that was her previous married name ? as she was 48 on this marriage ,on her death in 1951 says born 1902 , but had trouble last night finding a Winifred K Reed or just a Winifred K born 13 Mar 1902 which is what her birth date is according to 1939.

Comment

What did it give for her fathers name etc on the marriage cert Val?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I dont have that Chrissie only found out about her existence last night, none of us knew he had married three times twice bigamously, but am sending for the marriage cert ,I shall be broke what with all the certs I am ordering.
                  Last edited by Guest; 17-02-16, 19:59.

Comment

Whilst looking for 2 sisters in the 1939 - I noticed that one was indexed under her married name - she didn't marry until 1946.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Bee, the register has been updated to include the married name, my grandmother is with my grandfather as a Pegg but also Gilman which was her 2nd husband, they married in 1965.

Comment

I've noticed that the Index shows the woman with her latest married name, with the name she is under in 1939 in brackets.

However, she is shown in the right household on the image.

The date that is written in is the date of the amendment .............. I have a great aunt and aunt who both re-married later in life, and both amendments on the register are 3-6 months after the re-marriage date.
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                        X