Ancestry: New South Wales, Australia, Police Gazettes, 1854-1930

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry: New South Wales, Australia, Police Gazettes, 1854-1930

This list shows a record for Effie Macleod, dated 22 Jan 1930, in Sydney NSW - desertion.

Does anyone know how much detail this record might show?? I haven't got a Ancestry sub at present - just FMP - and don't want to fork out somewhere between £10 and £20 for something that might just repeat what the index says. Can anyone who has a sub let me know what I might expect??

Many thanks,
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

The article says

Sydney.- A warrant has been issued by the Children's Court Bench for the arrest of REGINALD GEORGE PAYNE, charged with desertion. He is 48yrs of age, 5 feet 5 inches high, stout build, medium complexion, bald headed, brown eyes; a chef; has been employed in boarding-houses in the Manly district for about ten years; frequents the Brighton Hotel manly. Complainant, Effie Payne (known as McLeod), 40 Caldwell-street, Darlinghurst
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you very much, Elaine. Poor Effie had a hard life - her first husband (who she divorced) was a thief and a wife-beater. Her second husband (who was her first cousin) died in in the flu outbreak of 1919 and now you tell me that her third husband deserted her. What a nightmare :(

Thanks again!
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

Check out "trove", it's our national library's site and they have digitised a tonne of newspapers.

Comment

Thanks for that kylejustin - I have used the site in the past and found a lot of detailed information.
          Kind regards,
          William

Comment

Working...
          X