Marriage bonds and allegations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage bonds and allegations

John Jackson (3xGG) born in Chorley 1794 parents Ralph & Mary Fisher. I have found a marriage in Chorley for a marriage 19/12/1784 which fits, Ralph is an Innkeeper and a widow so I have been trying to find a previous marriage for him in Chorley but drawn a blank.

Then I found this Marriage Bond
    ENGLAND, CHESHIRE, MARRIAGE BONDS AND ALLEGATIONS, 1606-1900
    Name Ralph Jackson Event Type Intended marriage
    Event Date 18 Dec 1784 - Event Place Cheshire, England
    Gender Male - Age 21 - Spouse's Name Mary Fisher - Spouse's Age 21

Is this him and does that mean that Ralph didn't live in Chorley or was it Mary? The bond was taken out in Cheshire but they married in Chorley 1 day later, if it is the same persons. I don't know much about bonds except they were probably in a rush to marry. I cannot find a previous marriage in Cheshire for him so I have hit a brick wall.

I have also found a website that refers to a Ralph Jackson being an Innkeeper, would there be any recorded information anywhere that I could look at?
    "The Jackson's Arms was first recorded on the 1881 census but it is likely that there was an Inn on this site as far back as 1793 when a Ralph Jackson was recorded as an Innkeeper in Chorley"

I think possibly Chorley may have been in the Diocese of Chester, which could account for the listing in "Cheshire"
    On a point about their ages, I have found that sometimes their proper ages are given but other times they are both transcribed as '21' meaning they are of full age.
    Most marriage licences/bonds that I have seen are the day before (or very close to) the actual marriage.
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 15-02-16, 09:08.

Comment

You might be able to find records for ale/beer licences at the relevant county record office. I found some for people in my village going back to the mid-1700's. I haven't looked at the actual records, just extracted the names from the results of a blanket search of the online catalogue for the CRO. So, have no idea of how detailed the records are.

I find these online catalogues a wonderful source of potential information as they point to all kinds of records I wouldn't normally think of.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

You should check the actual document - it may not have much more information than that index entry, but it should at least say which parishes the two parties came from.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you everyone for the information

Janet - I'm so glad there is somewhere that I can research and might hold a record of him as an Innkeeper, I will do this whilst waiting for the marriage certificate to arrive.

Ann - that's good to know that 21 means full age (still learning) I was wondering how he managed to be an Innkeeper at 21, a bit young I thought! I know that Croston was part of the Chorley diocese but not Chester, will check on that.

Antony - I have the marriage certificate on order.

Comment

Here's a bit from Wikipedia about Chester Diocese before 1836. Definitely covers Chorley and Croston. (Chorley was never a Diocese, just a parish)
            Anne

1541 to 1836[edit]
            The diocese was created, during the Reformation, on 14 August 1541[3] from the Chester archdeaconry of the Diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, covering Cheshire and Lancashire, and the Richmond Archdeaconry of the Diocese of York.[4] The diocese was originally formed as part of the Province of Canterbury, but was quickly transferred to the Province of York later in the same year.[4] The twenty deaneries of the new diocese were: Amounderness, Bangor, Blackburn, Boroughbridge, Catterick, Chester, Copeland, Frodsham, Furness, Kendal, Leyland, Lonsdale, Macclesfield, Malpas, Manchester, Middlewich, Nantwich, Richmond, Warrington, and Wirral. The deaneries as shown in the accompanying map, were established by 1224 and remained largely unchanged until the nineteenth century.[5]

Comment

Here's a link to the page so you can see the map. Basically the Diocese of Chester covered Cheshire and Lancashire as well as parts of Yorkshire, Cumberland and Westmorland.

Anne

Comment

Um, there won't be a marriage cert from 1784.

OC

Comment

Your right, I was struggling to order the marriage certificate, so its back to square one, more re-search!

Comment

There MAY be some info in the marriage register although it probably would have been transcribed if there was. You don't say which church they actually married in, but from my recollection, the church registers for Leyland and Chorley are very good and you can get several different versions, lol, as there were many sister chapels and chapels of ease, etc. I have ancestors from chorley and they randomly married either in Chorley or Leyland, however the fancy seemed to take them and the same marriage is recorded in several different registers.

OC

Comment

There MAY be more information in the licence/bond. You could get a photocopy from the from the relevant county archive. Did you find the transcription online? It should say where the originals are held. I do think it likely that at least the parish(s) would be mentioned.

I don't think you are back to square one! I think it is very likely this is the marriage you are looking for .... right place, right time, right names ......
                      Anne
                      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 15-02-16, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
                        Your right, I was struggling to order the marriage certificate, so its back to square one, more re-search!
                        But you may find a Marriage Licence, although that will mainly be found in the CRO for Chorley, but I am unsure where that CRO may be? A look at the actual Marriage Regster or transcript will sometimes have ML in the margin denoting a Marriage Licence. I have found many of these original documents for my own families in Northamptonshre for the 1600's and 1700's. They can be reasonably informative if the original document is found, though not all survive. They usually tell you which parish the oarties are from and often have signatures of both parties. If you are very lucky as I was with one of mine in 1699, you may also get Bride's father on the Licence. Have you tried writing to the CRO and asking them to do a search. They will charge but maybe cheaper than you going yourself, depending on where you live? Sorry have overlapped with Anne!

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 15-02-16, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Um, there won't be a marriage cert from 1784.

OC
                          Why not OC?

Certificates are simply certified copies of what is written in a register and were produced at that time.
                          Take a look at

The first three images are a marriage certificates for a 1793 marriage produced in 1798; followed by 1829 certificate for a 1759 marriage and a 1803 certificate for a 1803 marriage.

Never fall into the trap of believing certificates started in 1837, certificates have been around as long as written records.

Other examples of certificates may be seen at

Cheers
                          Guy
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

They married at St Laurence Church, most of the family so far have been baptized, married or buried there. Nothing on the marriage register but there is a FHL Film number on one of the entries, where would this be kept and could I see it?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
                              They married at St Laurence Church, most of the family so far have been baptized, married or buried there. Nothing on the marriage register but there is a FHL Film number on one of the entries, where would this be kept and could I see it?
                              I think you will find that Family Search will have the copies with your Family History Library film number, but you will not get any more information from that than you already have, as that is only the film number for the entry in the register. You will still need to find the possible Marriage Licence/Marriage Bond/Allegation, if they exist, to obtain further information, and that is mainly found through the CRO which will have the Chorley Registers. Sometimes you can find these documents online, so worth a google, but in the main most of these documents are still in the CRO's. I have found many Marriage Licences but no Bonds/Allegations, so it is down to luck in finding these documents.

There are many reasons why a couple would marry by licence, having money, person leaving for a war etc or pregnancy and other reasons I have now forgotten!

Janet
                              Last edited by Janet; 15-02-16, 16:57.

Comment

The marriage allegation is on FMP.

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Ralph is a widower. Of the parochial chapelry of Chorley. Both parties were aged 21 and upwards. Ralph Jackson signed his name.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:
                                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Guy

You are splitting hairs. Yes, you could get a photocopy of the entry in the church register....but not from the GRO before 1837. Most of us, when we talk about getting certificates, mean the official certificate as held by either the GRO or the local Register Office.

Silver Surfer - I have had the FHL film out for St Laurence many years ago in pursuit of my own family, lol. As I said upthread, there are several versions of the register. The one I saw consisted of St Laurence AND the chapels of ease and sister chapels. I don't think you will get more info than you already have on this marriage BUT it is well worth having a look at the register because you may be able to work out your man's previous marriage and the death of his wife, something I did for my own family.

OC

Comment

OC - I don't live far from Chorley so I will go and ask to see the FHL film for St Laurence Church and I want to look at the gravestones whilst there.

Elizabeth - The marriage allegation you have found is brilliant.

I have learnt so much from this post from all your replies, Thank you to everyone.
                                    Sue

Comment

Sue

The FHL film won't be at Chorley, you will have to go to an LDS family history centre to see it. Details of your nearest centre will be on their website.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Sue

The FHL film won't be at Chorley, you will have to go to an LDS family history centre to see it. Details of your nearest centre will be on their website.

OC
                                        And you will have to order it, so that they can get it in for you. At my nearest centre, this meant 2 visits - one to order the film in person and then pay for it, then a second visit to view the film. I understand that the film will be held at the centre for two or three weeks and so you can go as many times as you wish to browse through it; you only pay once for the ordering of the film - all visits to the centre and the use of their facilities and expertise is free.
                                        I never actually used the facility because it was 20+ miles each way and only open at rather obscure hours, which were not convenient for me. Luckily for me, the familysearch.org site has a fantastic array of Nofolk PR and other materials online, which I can browse at home. Similarly I can also browse a lot of N & E Riding records with my FMP sub.

Jay
                                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 15-02-16, 20:35.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                        X