Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Website: Black Sheep

Hope this is in the correct place.

I remember this website from way back and also remember seeing my grandfather's name on it - didn't want to take out a membership so don't know what it was all about - this was a good few years ago.

Does anyone know if the website still exists albeit under a different guise or did it bite the dust? Sue

Is this the one Sue? -
    Search for your Blacksheep Ancestors in Free Genealogical Prison and Convict Records, Historical Court Records, Executions, Insane Asylum Records and Biographies of Famous Outlaws, Criminals & …
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Unfortunately I believe the owner died. I bought some useful things from him a few years ago.
      Anne

Comment

its free isn't it ??

Comment

I think the original website was - www.blacksheepindex.co.uk
          - and as Anne said, I believe the owner has died.
          Elaine

Comment

Val, yes it was free to search but the owner had collected many documents which he sold as paper items for very reasonable prices. Sad its gone but inevitable if a site is owned and run by one person. I guess we may lose other useful, small sites in a similar way.
            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              I think the original website was - www.blacksheepindex.co.uk
              - and as Anne said, I believe the owner has died.
              If anyone wants to view the original website use
              http://archive.org/web/web.php and copy and paste the url Elanie gave above into the box.
              I believe the last crawl of the site was in 2012

Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Guy, the link you gave may not be functioning too well - I got an advert for a Roof Contractor BUT yesterday, after trying to use the link Chrissie gave my computer seemed to have lost its settings. I couldn't get into FTM and the computer was telling me it was the website that was down and my comp was OK - not entirely convinced by that!
                The website is not as it was even on Chrissie's link - it is full of ancestry adverts amongst others. I think I would be a little wary of going in there again since that appeared to be the catalyst for my computer woes and even McAfee woke up.
                Sue

Comment

Hi Chrissie, Many thanks for putting that on BUT I am now very wary of the site since my computer suddenly went quite peculiar - I couldn't get into FTF after either - my computer was telling me it was OK but FTF was down - I am not sure I believed my computer!

Comment

Have just tried it and got error 503 no server is available to process your request.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                      Guy, the link you gave may not be functioning too well - I got an advert for a Roof Contractor BUT yesterday, after trying to use the link Chrissie gave my computer seemed to have lost its settings. I couldn't get into FTM and the computer was telling me it was the website that was down and my comp was OK - not entirely convinced by that!
                      The website is not as it was even on Chrissie's link - it is full of ancestry adverts amongst others. I think I would be a little wary of going in there again since that appeared to be the catalyst for my computer woes and even McAfee woke up.
                      Sue
                      Just to clarify - the link that Guy gave was to Internet Archive - http://archive.org/web/web.php - and seems to be working OK.
                      The link that I gave - http://www.blacksheepindex.co.uk - was to the original BlackSheep Ancestor website, which has now been disabled, hence possiby seeing an advert for a roof contractor.

Having checked Internet Archive wayback is seems the link to the February 2016 capture is no longer available!

As to not being able to get into FamilyTreeForum yesterday, our server was down from 14:06 yesterday with service being restored at 05:15 this morning (GMT). It seems we were one of the lucky ones because Tim has said that other sites have experienced corruption to their the filesystem and/or database. So far we don't think it has affected ours but Tim is keeping a careful eye on things!
                      Elaine

Comment

I am sorry to hear FTF had problems (it was about 3am when I was told it was down). It is fine this morning.
                        Hope my messing around with black sheep website had nothing to do with it!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                          Hope my messing around with black sheep website had nothing to do with it!
                          Not unless you were the one that was responsible for a power outage which bought down hundreds, or possibly thousands of websites yesterday!
                          Elaine

Comment

Wasn't me either. I am at day 24 of a chest cold/cough and haven't the energy to summon up an outage. In fact I couldn't fight my way out of a paper poke LOL

Comment

I don't think, Elaine, with my ignorance of anything technical, that I can claim to have enough skill to bring down all those websites!
                              I am sure I have an alibi - just cannot remember what it is! Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                Just to clarify - the link that Guy gave was to Internet Archive - http://archive.org/web/web.php - and seems to be working OK.
                                The link that I gave - http://www.blacksheepindex.co.uk - was to the original BlackSheep Ancestor website, which has now been disabled, hence possiby seeing an advert for a roof contractor.

Having checked Internet Archive wayback is seems the link to the February 2016 capture is no longer available!

As to not being able to get into FamilyTreeForum yesterday, our server was down from 14:06 yesterday with service being restored at 05:15 this morning (GMT). It seems we were one of the lucky ones because Tim has said that other sites have experienced corruption to their the filesystem and/or database. So far we don't think it has affected ours but Tim is keeping a careful eye on things!
                                No as I mentioned the last crawl of the Blacksheep site was in 2012

There are later crawls but they were no sucessful.

Cheers
                                Guy
                                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Sorry Guy. I missed the 2012 date!
                                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Guy have saved the link to the archived 2012 page

Comment

Working...
                                    X