1934 deaths in coventry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1934 deaths in coventry.

Hello, Thomas Head age 71 and Harriet Head,63 both died in the December Qtr of 1934. Can someone please give a more specific date, the month that each died in would be fine.
    Many thanks.
    Toby
    :o

Hi Toby

Unfortunately neither of them are listed in the probate calendar, which would have given you the exact dates of death. I can't find a burial or cremation record online either. Therefore probably the only way (or at least the easiest way) to find the dates would be to purchase the certificates.

Deaths Dec 1934
    Head Harriet 63 Coventry 6d 717
    Head Thomas 71 Coventry 6d 730

You can at least see from the page numbers that Harriet's death was registered a bit before Thomas - she is on page 717 and Thomas is 13 pages later, on page 730 which suggest Harriet died first then Thomas a few days or weeks later. FreeBMD lists 479 deaths for the Coventry RD in Dec-1934, with page numbers ranging from 651 to 748. This would suggest that pages 717 and 730 were towards the end of the quarter; however this isn't too reliable as often a district was divided into sub-districts, so page numbers within a quarter are not necessarily in chronological order.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard in Perth; 08-02-16, 03:55.

Comment

Hello Richard, thanks very much, your info does indicate that they died within a short time of each other, a bit unusual so the certs will reveal all!
      Thanks again.
      Toby.

Comment

If you're buying certificates, always purchase direct from either GRO (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/) for £9.25, or from the local office, which may cost more (ca £10), but often brings more personal service. If you're buying from a local office, the GRO references are not relevant, but the year and quarter, will be.

Coventry BMD certs can be order via: http://www.bmd-certificates.co.uk/re.../coventry.html They don't appear to have any inde system, at first sight, unlike a number of others (see http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd)

The reason we recommend going direct is that agents tend charge a very substantial premium to do something that you can do very easily for yourself.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-02-16, 17:11.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for the advice Christine, I have ordered from the GRO before, however in this case I will try the Coventry office as a change, may get something in a different format like the original handwriting!
          Toby.

Comment

Originally posted by toby blight View Post
            Thanks for the advice Christine, I have ordered from the GRO before, however in this case I will try the Coventry office as a change, may get something in a different format like the original handwriting!
            Toby.
            A death certificate will not have any personal writing on as it is made out by the Registrar.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, duh! what was I thinking of!
              Toby

Comment

Some registration offices will produce certificates by photocopying the original register entry - but you need to ask. By doing that you will get to see the original signature of the informant, although as Margaret says, the rest will be in the handwriting of the registrar.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                X