Still trying to find Grandmother in 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still trying to find Grandmother in 1911

My Grandmother Susan Janover born 14 May 1901 5 Avenue Road Lower Clapton Hackney .

Lydia Rose her unmarried Mother is here in 1911 but no Susan

Anybody have any ideas where she might be thanks

Silly question perhaps but would she have been listed in maybe a Jewish School records?

posted a mistake
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-16, 20:47.

Comment

I can't see her Val and I looked under Susan Rose as well, just in case she was with a relative of mums.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Lydia Rose her unmarried Mother is here in 1911 but no Susan
        no mention of Lydia Rose having any children on 1911 census form ... maybe Susan was adopted / fostered ??

it looks like 206 Devonshire St was a house of multiple occupation, Lydia occupied one room.
        Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 08-02-16, 09:45.
        Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
          no mention of Lydia Rose having any children on 1911 census form ... maybe Susan was adopted / fostered ??

it looks like 206 Devonshire St was a house of multiple occupation, Lydia occupied one room.
          The section about children on the 1911 form was for MARRIED women to complete, and was supposed to be for children of the CURRENT marriage only. So the form was completed correctly, it would seem.
          Perhaps Susan was down as "nurse child" or something similar in the household of the person minding her. If her name has been mistranscribed, or recorded wrongly, it could be very difficult locating her.:(

When and where was the next event you have for her, Val? I take it you're trying to fill in a time gap in her life story?

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-02-16, 09:58.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I doubt they would call her a nurse child at 10 would they?

Comment

The section about children on the 1911 form was for MARRIED women to complete, and was supposed to be for children of the CURRENT marriage only.
              thanks for this very useful info Jay
              Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                I doubt they would call her a nurse child at 10 would they?
                I've had a couple of school aged children recorded as "nurse child," Chrissie - but earlier than 1911 census, admittedly. I think sometimes the term was used rather loosely for the equivalent of "child minder" and often easier to describe that the blood relationship. Widowed and childless great-great aunt Esther in my tree seemed to spend a couple of decades bringing up different little girls, some of them members of her extended family. One "nurse child" with her was certainly of primary school age - her mother had been widowed when the child was only weeks old & Esther took her in so the mother could work. They must have bonded, because after the mother remarried, the child spent all her school holidays with Esther and later had an illegitimate daughter, who in turn lived with Esther until the mother married.

Jay

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you Janet Yes, I should have realised, after all you get daughter in law for step daughter etc :D

Comment

Thanks everyone so frustrating
                    Yes Janet I am trying to find all records about her I have all but this one, and interesting about only putting children of the current marriage on the census as of course Lydia wasn't married, in fact the father of Susan jilted her literally at the alter, I cannot find much about him either, or the man Lydia eventually married.
                    I did look under Rose too and just Susan also, should have said later in life she called herself Sadie, I only knew her under that name.
                    The first time I can find her is in 1922 at her marriage where Lydia and her Stepfather are witnesses.

Comment

Working...
                    X