TYNE and LANE Family of Limerick Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TYNE and LANE Family of Limerick Ireland

Looking for any information about the ThomasTyne and Catharine Lane family of Limerick Ireland... they had at least one son Patrick Joseph Tyne (1853 approx) ... Patrick ultimately moved To Hamilton Ontario Canada and married Catherine Sullivan ...

Originally posted by Paddy_Tyne View Post
    Looking for any information about the ThomasTyne and Catharine Lane family of Limerick Ireland... they had at least one son Patrick Joseph Tyne (1853 approx) ... Patrick ultimately moved To Hamilton Ontario Canada and married Catherine Sullivan ...
    Welcome to the forum.

You could have a look on our reference page for sites to search for information http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/336-Ireland. Familysearch.org has the Ireland marriage index from 1845 to search for the marriage and then if yo purchased the certificate you would find their father's names.

Very little by way of censuses for Ireland except 1901 and 1911 which may be too late for your needs.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      Welcome to the forum.

You could have a look on our reference page for sites to search for information http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/336-Ireland. Familysearch.org has the Ireland marriage index from 1845 to search for the marriage and then if yo purchased the certificate you would find their father's names.
      Very little by way of censuses for Ireland except 1901 and 1911 which may be too late for your needs.

Margaret
      I think that date applies to Church of Ireland (Protestant) marriages. RC marriages were not returned and indexed until later - can't remember the exact date, but I think it's around 1860/62. I believe my ancestors married in Ireland 1859/1860 before coming over (first child registered & bp in Northumberland in 1860) and this was before RC marriages were registered, so my only chance of finding it at present is to go through all RC parish records. They claimed to come from Galway - as that could be County rather than city, it's a bit of a daunting task! (And due to Irish blarney, could even have been in a different county. :( )

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 07-02-16, 13:47.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you for the help.... My ancestors were RC and married prior to 1853 and I've had no luck finding a marriage record... I Know they were from Limerick... The above mentioned Patrick (1853 approx) was my Great Grandfather, he arrived in Canada in the 1880's, although I Never met him his death notice states his P.O.B as Limerick, But another County may be a possibility... Thanks again ...

Comment

RC BMD pre 1864 are Paris h Registers and are to be found at the National Library Dublin. They are free to look at online from the NL website but they are not indexed, so it is a hard grind looking for people.

However, FMP have just announced that they are putting online the indexed version of around 12 million BMD records ,culled from the parish registers from both North and Southern Ireland as from sometime in March. I know these will be accessible to FMP subscribers who have the World sub but I am not sure at present, if these will be accessible through credits. I do not know which counties will be representative but clearly not all the records will be available at least initially. I am waiting and hoping to solve some of my own mysteries as I have not found the online non indexed version of much use to me.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 11-02-16, 21:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
            RC BMD pre 1864 are Paris h Registers and are to be found at the National Library Dublin. They are free to look at online from the NL website but they are not indexed, so it is a hard grind looking for people.

However, FMP have just announced that they are putting online the indexed version of around 12 million BMD records ,culled from the parish registers from both North and Southern Ireland as from sometime in March. I know these will be accessible to FMP subscribers who have the World sub but I am not sure at present, if these will be accessible through credits. I do not know which counties will be representative but clearly not all the records will be available at least initially. I am waiting and hoping to solve some of my own mysteries as I have not found the online non indexed version of much use to me.
            Janet
            Me neither and I find them difficult to wade through.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I'd heard on the rumour mill that both Ancestry and Findmypast had been working on indexing the NLI Catholic parish registers.
              Come March, you will be able to search via both Findmypast (as mentioned above) and Ancestry.
              Ancestry have just announced today that they are also releasing an index which will link to the NLI's images.
              The NLI collection is made up of Baptism, Marriage and (a small number of) Burial records from over 1,000 Catholic parishes across the whole of the island of Ireland. The cut-off date for the collection is 1881/2 with varying start dates across the different parishes.
              Christine

Last edited by Karamazov; 11-02-16, 22:36.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

The NLI collection is made up of Baptism, Marriage and (a small number of) Burial records from over 1,000 Catholic parishes across the whole of the island of Ireland. The cut-off date for the collection is 1881/2 with varying start dates across the different parishes.
                Christine

That is good news about Ancestry indexing as well. Yes, I loosely mentioned BMD without thinking in my above post but it is very important to note that whereas all Irish Rc were baptised and married in church, strangely few ever died, at least not as far as the church was concerned so killing off Irish ancestors is notoriously difficult, so Irish R C deaths are rare indeed!! And yes the start dates are different because different Diocese had churches built at different times so start dates from around 1750 to about 1820 will be the norm and remember the 1840's famine times could be chaotic as far as these records are concerned.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                  That is good news about Ancestry indexing as well. Yes, I loosely mentioned BMD without thinking in my above post but it is very important to note that whereas all Irish Rc were baptised and married in church, strangely few ever died, at least not as far as the church was concerned so killing off Irish ancestors is notoriously difficult, so Irish R C deaths are rare indeed!! And yes the start dates are different because different Diocese had churches built at different times so start dates from around 1750 to about 1820 will be the norm and remember the 1840's famine times could be chaotic as far as these records are concerned.

Janet
                  As most of the parishes were in rural areas, I guess it was sometimes like rural England, where at times there was no vicar, the church was closed for a refurb or attached to another parish, or not then built. In instances like that, my forebears had to use a church in a village where they didn't actually reside. This is where online research and indexing is so useful to those of us who used to spend hours at the record office, widening our search of original parish registers in ever expending circles until we got a hit!

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I'm wondering what the quality of the transcriptions will be. My main trawl through Kilbarron records was pretty reasonable but the Carn records are horrendous, the worst I've ever seen for handwriting and organisation. Virtually illegible handwriting with records interspersed with pages from the priest's journal, recording the weather and the planting of potatoes etc. I just wish I could read them as they would make an interesting backdrop to the famine and post famine years in that area.
                    I pity the poor soul who had to try and transcribe them....

Christine
                    Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Working...
                    X