X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker to be continued?

Just received e-mail this from Ancestry

"Dear Family Tree Makerâ„¢ community,

Since our Family Tree Maker announcement last December, we have continued to actively explore ways to develop and support Family Tree Maker and ensure you have choices to preserve your work in ways that matter to you.

Today, we are pleased to announce two options for desktop software that will work with Ancestry.

Software MacKiev

Software MacKiev, with whom we have a long-standing relationship, is acquiring the Family Tree Maker software line as publisher for both Mac and Windows versions. Software MacKiev has been the developer of Family Tree Maker for Mac for more than six years and is thrilled at the opportunity to publish future versions of Family Tree Maker for Mac and Windows.

This new agreement means you will receive software updates and new versions from Software MacKiev, and have the ability to purchase new versions of Family Tree Maker from Software MacKiev as they are released. You will have continued access to Ancestry Hints, Ancestry searches, and be able to save your tree on Ancestry with Family Tree Maker moving forward.

RootsMagic

We have made an agreement with RootsMagic, a leading genealogy desktop software program publisher, to connect Ancestry with the RootsMagic software by the end of 2016. With this new relationship, RootsMagic can serve as your desktop family tree software, while having access to Ancestry hints, Ancestry searches, and the ability to save your tree on Ancestry.

We have heard your concerns and are working to provide the solutions you requested. These new agreements will make it possible to preserve your work on Ancestry and Family Tree Maker and enable future features and benefits to help you discover your family history. Be assured that Ancestry, in cooperation with Software MacKiev and RootsMagic, will continue to support you as you discover your family history.

We ask for your patience as we work diligently through all the details to make these solutions available. You can find additional details about these Family Tree Maker partnerships on our blog. We also encourage you to continue to check back on our blog for future updates in the coming months."

I was just reading mine so they are listening

Comment

Already available on the Software MacKiev site - looks like Syncing, hints and maps will work as normal, but that there is no free access to Ancestry apart from the normal 14-day trial.

http://www.mackiev.com/ftm/index.html
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Ancestry FTM Update email

I have just received an email from Ancestry addressed to all FTM Users saying that they have listened to our concerns and that MacKiev will be taking over the running of FTM for both Mac and PC users. They are also providing a link which will let RootsMagic link with Ancestry Search. Do you think they decided that they under estimated the users feelings, and it could cost them?
        Last edited by Islander; 02-02-16, 23:09.
        Don

Researching: ANNAL (Orkney/Ontario) BILSTON (Worcestershire) CLARK (Shetland) HOLLOWAY (Worcestershire) RHODES (Worcestershire) WILSON (Orkney)

Comment

Looks like the original is going to be available, but I will wait until I get an update request from Family Tree maker before I do anything. I am still working with FTM14 and experimenting with Family Historian and my old PAF files.

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          Already available on the Software MacKiev site - looks like Syncing, hints and maps will work as normal, but that there is no free access to Ancestry apart from the normal 14-day trial.

http://www.mackiev.com/ftm/index.html
          Don

Researching: ANNAL (Orkney/Ontario) BILSTON (Worcestershire) CLARK (Shetland) HOLLOWAY (Worcestershire) RHODES (Worcestershire) WILSON (Orkney)

Comment

Family Tree Maker to be continued?

Some of the comments make interesting reading.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The lesson to be learnt is to ensure you keep your family history on your own computer at home rather than in the cloud.
              If your family history is home based you can and always will be able to interact with online records and data sets either manually or automatically.

Cheers
              Guy
              Last edited by Guy; 04-02-16, 09:28. Reason: spelling
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I've merged all the recent threads about FTM and its future ...
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The shop at TNA, Kew had plenty of copies of the Deluxe Edition of FTM available yesterday - priced at £10.99 including 3 months Ancestry (which I assume will still be honoured).
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I hope they will be honoured until next year, as I still have two new 2014 Premium ones with 6 months waiting to be used and my present one runs out in early July.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie, I wouldn't worry too much. If they are both for the same type of subscription, e.g. 6 month Premium, then there is no problem activating them at the same time. The sub just gets added on to what is already there. At one point I had an existing sub, and then acquired another two discs which I activated which meant that my current sub at the time was running for nearly 18 months - all on freebies!
                      Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine I had wondered about that, but when I put the latest one in it wouldn't work when I tried to activate it. So I had to ring up and she did it manually. I'm not sure they would be too happy about doing two more at once:D I will try loading them though and see what happens.
                        p.s. You have to remove each one first though don't you?
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 05-02-16, 10:42.

Comment

I've never removed the program before reinstalling a new one - just let it reinstall over the top. Another option if you have two computers is to install it on one that doesn't already have FTM on it - once installed and you've activated the sub, then you can uninstall the program!
                          Elaine

Comment

Thank you again Elaine, I will try that

Comment

I rang them last time I had 2 discs as it would not register she registered both but when one ran out I got an email to say my membership had lapsed luckily I had kept the details so they reinstated me.

Comment

Working...
                              X