Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man seeks descendants of Victorian family

.... after finding signature in book from 1884

He's got a long way, but maybe we can help!

P.S. There are several public trees on Ancestry with Ambrose in them so have contacted the paper through FB to see if they've been contacted already.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I can't work out who Vera Banfill was. According to the 1911 census Ambrose (50) & his wife Elizabeth (51) have been married 12 years, children "none", so how could Vera have been a great great granddaughter of Ambrose?
    Moggie

Comment

I've had a reply from the Gazette and posted a link to this thread on their FB page:

Littlehampton Gazette. Отметки "Нравится": 19 884 · Обсуждают: 1 460. We are part of National World. Email: letters@littlehamptongazette.co.uk Twitter: @LhamptonGazette Comments left on this page may...
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Maybe Ambrose and/or Elizabeth were married more than once?

Comment

I've sent a message to following users on Ancestry to draw their attention to the article so will see if we get a response.
          jandaveow
          owenkdullea
          Carole Grice
          kdnorton66
          Don Stephens

There are others but they have not got as much on them. None of the trees come very far up to date.
          Caroline

Comment

Just because it's interesting - Number 9 - the Chipper family apparently lived there until 1958:
            Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              They died in 1937, both still married to each other.

Probate Calendar: http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/19...d=&usePUB=true
              Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                I can't work out who Vera Banfill was. According to the 1911 census Ambrose (50) & his wife Elizabeth (51) have been married 12 years, children "none", so how could Vera have been a great great granddaughter of Ambrose?
                Moggie
                I don't know!!
                Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  Never thought about him being married previously so worked back through census. 1901 with wife Elizabeth & no children. 1891 with his mother Ann recorded as being single.
                  Moggie

Comment

Jack and Vera Banfill seem to be husband and wife, and according to an Ancestry tree ( I was looking up Jack), Edna Vera Peto seems to be descended from Ambrose's sister Louisa.

and

So, certainly not any sort of granddaughter but a great niece.

They may have had 4 children all registered in the Worthing area between 1936 and 1952 (FMP)
                    Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                      Jack and Vera Banfill seem to be husband and wife, and according to an Ancestry tree ( I was looking up Jack), Edna Vera Peto seems to be descended from Ambrose's sister Louisa.

and

So, certainly not any sort of granddaughter but a great niece.

They may have had 4 children all registered in the Worthing area between 1936 and 1952 (FMP)

Edna Vera Peto/Banfill died in 1996 so she isn't the Vera who died in 2012. Agree about 4 children, 2 sons. 2 daughters neither called Vera. She could be the daughter of one of the sons, I haven't looked these up yet.
                      Moggie

Comment

Luke Chipper 1911: http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...d=&usePUB=true

I have to go out for the evening, so have fun everybody!!
                        Caroline

Comment

Carried on digging.

Edward Chipper married Dorothy Sharp and had a son Guy, who died in 1981. He had married and they had 4 children .. he died in east Preston district too. I still need to confirm the details and look up the children but I MUST go now!! They all still seem to be local so I reckon they may well see the paper!!
                          Caroline

Comment

I have had a reply from jandaveow and they are contacting the Paper. I have replied asking whether they are the closest living relative or if we need to keep digging, but that we would like to know the outcome anyway.
                            Caroline

Comment

Thought you might be interested to know that they are having a get together this Monday of two of the descendants and the chap with the books and I've been invited to join them. According to the reporter, the hostess thinks she knew me back in the '70s - I assume she may have recognised my maiden name from Ancestry and I was a trainee teacher in Chichester then so we'll see!!
                              Caroline

Comment

What a pleasing outcome Caroline.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                  What a pleasing outcome Caroline.
                                  It is.

I had a very pleasant couple of hours yesterday. Our hostess was the person I had contacted via Ancestry so that was good since the others didn't reply. I was privileged to see two second cousins meet for the very first time (descended from Luke above) - they had both lived in the area all their lives but don't remember ever meeting before although one of them remembered their mother talking about the other's mother!! Both of them had a lot of information about the family and had a couple of identical photos but also one of them is contact with another Chipper branch who went to Australia.

Simon, the reporter, interviewed all of us, even me so I gave FTF a big boost of course. I gave them all our "business" cards. He's planning a double page spread on genealogy generally but focused on the Chipper family and the books, so they even brought a photographer and though I tried to stay out of them, I didn't get away with it.

Given that the family seem to have been in the Worthing/Littlehampton/Sussex area for centuries, I wonder if there will be other cousins who see the article when it comes out. I am not sure exactly which paper but I think the Worthing Herald and/or the Littlehampton Gazette.

Here is the link to their surnames - maybe they match up with your West Wittering ones Jill? http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/679682/listofallpeople

P.S. The donor did bring the books but I am not sure who got them as I wasn't listening at the time and he was still there when I left them all. I am also not sure how Simon had found the other cousin - presumably from the original article either in print or on FB. :D
                                  Caroline

Comment

Brilliant outcome Caroline and we may be in for an influx of new members with research queries too, thanks to your advertising
                                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 01-03-16, 09:36.
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

Here is the link to their surnames - maybe they match up with your West Wittering ones Jill? http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/679682/listofallpeople

P.S. The donor did bring the books but I am not sure who got them as I wasn't listening at the time and he was still there when I left them all. I am also not sure how Simon had found the other cousin - presumably from the original article either in print or on FB. :D
                                      Had a quick peep but no names leapt out.

Comment

The article has come out - I had better buy the paper tomorrow!!
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X