Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever posted a photo request on Findagrave website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever posted a photo request on Findagrave website?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever posted a photo request on the Findagrave website and was their request successful? I posted a request for photos of 2 headstones 2 and half months ago, but not a word back since then. When I first posted, I got a reply along the lines of...... welcome, your request has been sent to the (geographically) nearest 500 members of Findagrave. I thought, happy days,but maybe not.
    The names of the deceased whose headstone photos I requested are already recorded on Findagrave.

Thanks.
    Paul.

Maybe you would have more luck in the summer (assuming it's a UK grave).
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Maybe you could see if anyone lives close to where the graves are and will go and take photos for you, are they in the UK

Edna

Comment

Some people post images that they recorded when visiting a graveyard, a little like we do on our places of worship section.
        This does not mean that it is local to them to 'pop over' and take photographs for anyone who posts a request.

Some of the poster do offer this as a secondary service, but don't keep your fingers crossed

I was luck when I used an image that had been posted on the site and acknowledged using it for my database, the poster replied with many more images that they had taken on the visit (the cemetery was quite a way from where they lived), which gave ne another 5 that had not been put up yet :-)

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I've posted many requests - many have been filled, many have not.
          As webwiz said, spring/summer may bring you more luck - volunteers don't want to go in the snow, nor find a gravestone, and clear off the snow.

But sometimes there aren't active volunteers, and sometimes the cemetery resists volunteers' efforts - won't tell them where in the cemetery to find the stone, or make threatening noises about people they find photographing gravestones.

You might look at the cemetery's own page - if volunteers are having problems with the cemetery, they'll often list that. and it also tells you what % of requests have been processed.

You might also look at billiongraves.com

Comment

Not all the entries on Find a grave are put on by people who have actually visited or live near the graveyard. A woman has put a lot of my Sussex Bottings on, with only a registration district and year of death, some of which I know the date of death/burial for and know there is no gravestone having done the legwork as well as the research.

Comment

Having taken 1000's of gravestone photo's over the years for another project www.gravestonephotos.com I know how much time and effort goes into contributing to this task.
              As others have said, it may not be as local as you think. I have covered churchyards up to 25 miles away from where I live and some churchyards when I have been away on holiday.
              Even in the past 5 years, photo's I have taken and recorded in the past are no longer legible due to erosion due to weather.
              Some stones are difficult to access, especially as cemeteries and churchyards become 'derelict' or in the case of one of the cemeteries local to me, locked at this time of year.
              But perhaps the most difficult aspect is finding the actual stone you have requested. You may be lucky with the better weather but I know that I would not commit to searching for a single stone, especially within churchyards I've already recorded, because if there is not an image already there it is for a reason.
              Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Hi, thanks for all the replies. The cemetery in question is an urban cemetery,still in use, in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. It is called St Joseph's New Cemetery.Perhaps I will have more luck when the weather improves! I had just assumed if an entry has been posted on Findagrave, that there is a headstone, but maybe that is not the case.

Paul.

Comment

I have posted a handful of requests. One was successful very quickly. The few others have been lingering for a couple years. I get the feeling that you'll probably get immediate results or none.

Comment

I requested 2 photos & 1 I received quicker than i expected the other photo im still waiting for.

Comment

Have you tried Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness (RAOGK)?: http://www.raogk.org/

Comment

Originally posted by City Hall View Post
                        ... had just assumed if an entry has been posted on Findagrave, that there is a headstone, but maybe that is not the case.

Paul.
                        I've created memorial pages, and then posted photo requests, for cemeteries miles (and miles!) away from me. If I have an obit or DC which gives the cemetery, that's enough info to start the process!

Comment

"On the cemetery website, a searchable database of burials in the Saint Joseph New Cemetery can be found under the heading “Genealogy”. The database also includes burials at the Saint Joseph Irish Cemetery, which are labelled “Old Cemetery” in the database."
                          A ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY SERVING THE COMMUNITY SINCE 1854 Start Planning A West Side Cincinnati Tradition History St. Joseph Cemetery, often referred to as New St. Joseph Cemetery, is located in the western hills of Cincinnati, Ohio. Grounds View some of our informational literature online, and take a look at our cemetery map and photo … Home Read More »

Did you find your peeps in their database? It's possible that the findagrave memorial pages for this cemetery was built from the pages. If not, it may be useful to try to contact the memorial page owner(s) to see what they know. Some will answers, others won't

Wow! The database has lots of useful info!
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 31-01-16, 07:03.

Comment

Originally posted by City Hall View Post
                            Hi, thanks for all the replies. The cemetery in question is an urban cemetery,still in use, in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. It is called St Joseph's New Cemetery.Perhaps I will have more luck when the weather improves! I had just assumed if an entry has been posted on Findagrave, that there is a headstone, but maybe that is not the case.

Paul.
                            sometimes you don't get a picture of the headstone per say, it's just a marker, with the surname. I have used findagrave a few times for lookup requests and have been very successful and made contact with a distant family member!.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi.
                              Thanks for the further replies.
                              Richard, thanks for your suggestion.
                              PhotoFamily, yes, I did find my (wife's) 2 relatives on St Joseph's cemetery's own website. You are right, it is an excellent resource for genealogy research.

Re-energised by this thread, I checked out this cemetery on FindaGrave site and located a contributor who offers to take photos if asked. I have sent him a message and will see how it goes.

Paul.

Comment

[QUOTE=City Hall;2566706]

Re-energised by this thread, I checked out this cemetery on FindaGrave site and located a contributor who offers to take photos if asked. I have sent him a message and will see how it goes.

Just a quick up-date. My potential contributor replied to my message, I give him the details and within a couple of hours(literally) he uploaded the 2 photos I requested. What a gentleman. Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my post.

Paul.

Comment

Why not try rootsweb message board for the Ohio area - someone may live locally and take a photo for you.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

That's great news Paul
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                    X