Harron Family in Ireland 1700s-1800s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harron Family in Ireland 1700s-1800s

Over a long and winding road, I have locked in on a group of Harron ancestors and found satisfactory evidence.

The path leads up to a family of Harrons in Ireland (in Donegal, and possibly some time in Antrim), most of whom emigrated to the United States and Canada.

I have the names of much of the group of siblings that make up this family.

William Harron/Herron (married Nancy or Ann) (left Ireland around 1846 I think)
    Mary (emigrated around the same time as William, 1846ish)
    Andrew Harron (married Margaret Kincaid / Kincade) (born c.1794)
    Robert Harron (moved to Philadelphia)
    Martha
    Catherine

They are all mentioned in a letter from Andrew to Robert, sent just before Andrew Left Ireland with his family in 1847.

Nothing I have identifies their parents who raised them in Ireland, though MANY public trees point to the same two people.

Several people making their own trees seem rather confident that the parents are Patrick Harron/Herron (1750-1806) and Mary Spence (1756-1843).

I would like to find at least some document or registration or census or other form of evidence that links these names together as a group.

I haven't yet found anything.

There are no censuses prior to 1901 for Ireland.

The BMD indexes for Ireland start in 1845 with marriages.

Have a look at the reference page on here for sites to look at for Irish ancestors http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/336-Ireland

Margaret

Comment

There may not be any complete census for Ireland pre 1901 available, but there are fragments of census all over Ireland pre 1901 and I have found an ancestor in a Cork County fragment of 1841 so a google for fragment of the place you are looking at for your HarronHerron might be worthwhile.

A look at Griffiths Valuation for Donegal/Antrim which dates around 1840's to 1860's is also worth a look to see where the concentration of name is. Then you can go back to Tithe aplotments of 1820's for same sort of evaluation of name and places but after that you will then have to rely on Parish Registers. You could try looking at the Dublin Library Parish Records if Catholic but you will have have needed to narrow down the Diocese of interest as these records Re not indexed. If finding name in TA then can try looking at landowners registers for other information.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by TreeFlyingSquirrel View Post
        Over a long and winding road, I have locked in on a group of Harron ancestors and found satisfactory evidence.

The path leads up to a family of Harrons in Ireland (in Donegal, and possibly some time in Antrim), most of whom emigrated to the United States and Canada.

I have the names of much of the group of siblings that make up this family.

William Harron/Herron (married Nancy or Ann) (left Ireland around 1846 I think)
        Mary (emigrated around the same time as William, 1846ish)
        Andrew Harron (married Margaret Kincaid / Kincade) (born c.1794)
        Robert Harron (moved to Philadelphia)
        Martha
        Catherine

They are all mentioned in a letter from Andrew to Robert, sent just before Andrew Left Ireland with his family in 1847.

Nothing I have identifies their parents who raised them in Ireland, though MANY public trees point to the same two people.

Several people making their own trees seem rather confident that the parents are Patrick Harron/Herron (1750-1806) and Mary Spence (1756-1843).

I would like to find at least some document or registration or census or other form of evidence that links these names together as a group.

I haven't yet found anything.
        Have you tried contacting the tree owners to see what evidence they have?
        Margaret

Comment

Working...
        X