W.A.A.F. / RAF help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.A.A.F. / RAF help

Janet Sandham 30/01/1922 from Preston Lancs met Christopher Jackson 10/05/1921 also from Preston in the RAF and married in 1944.
    I would like to find as much as I can about them for this period, which base etc.
    Any pointers where to find his service number or where they were stationed and what they did would be good.

Can you confirm that both are deceased as we do not allow details of living persons to be published on the open forum.
    Elaine

Comment

Yes they are both deceased Christopher died 1982 and Janet 1999

Comment

If they married in 1944, there's a high chance that both service numbers would be on the marriage certificate as part of the occupation info.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have their marriage certificate and it just says Airman & W.A.A.F.

Comment

Service numbers wouldn't really help in finding out what they were involved in. You can apply for their service records if you are next of kin or have permission of next of kin. Details of how to apply are here

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
              Janet Sandham 30/01/1922 from Preston Lancs met Christopher Jackson 10/05/1921 also from Preston in the RAF and married in 1944.
              I would like to find as much as I can about them for this period, which base etc.
              Any pointers where to find his service number or where they were stationed and what they did would be good.
              There is nothing much on line for WW2 service records so you will have to apply for records as indicated by annswabey to find out what you want to know.
              Margaret

Comment

You're right there isn't much to see on line. I had seen the gov.uk site but I was hoping to trace his service number or regiment to request the details as I only have their names and a rough date for when they were in the R.A.F. and little else.
                Thank-you for your replies, I will pursue with my sketchy information.
                Sue

Comment

There are some microfilmed RAF and WAAF slips which are downloadable from the National Archives website. Found one for Janet. Think it must be her, as it says Janet nee Sandham, now Jackson. Her number was 467342 (2nd no isn't clear, but I think it's a 6). Didn't look for Christopher. There might well be more than one and no way of knowing which, if any, is for the right man. They aren't complete, either. They only give name and number
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                    Service numbers wouldn't really help in finding out what they were involved in. You can apply for their service records if you are next of kin or have permission of next of kin. Details of how to apply are here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests...ervice-records
                    I was just thinking that the service numbers would make it easier to apply for the service records - avoidance of doubt.

C
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If the person being researched has a common name RAF records may require a service number. They couldn't find my wife's father until two years later when a cousin stumbled across the number in his late mother's address book.

Comment

He has a fairly common name and I was hoping there was a chance to find his service number somewhere on the internet, no-one in the family have kept an documents, they have all been destroyed. His photographs do not have any details written on the back either, I will probably get the same as you, unable to find!

Comment

Have you tried this site?

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...ollection.aspx

or maybe this one: http://www.rafcaa.co.uk/index.html#entry
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Have just had a look at the microfilmed slips I mentioned for Christopher Jackson. There are 19 for men named C Jackson and 6 for men named Christopher Jackson

Comment

2 good websites I hadn't tried. I am going to London so I will make a detour and call in at the RAF Archive & Library in London, you never know what I might find. Thank you Sue

Comment

Thank-you Ann for looking up Janet's number, it has got to be her, it will be a big help to me even though it may not be clear it's something to work with and I will try and find the 6 Christopher's you have seen plus the others.

Comment

Working...
                                X