Broadmoor 1863

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadmoor 1863

My GGG Grandfather Samuel Gilbert born 1809 Clawton, Devon moved to Devonport (now part of Plymouth) Devon around 1851 was sent to Prison in Devonport in 1861 and moved to Pentonville, Millbank and Portland Prisons according to Find My Past records the last place he was moved to was Broadmoor April 1863. According to Broadmoor history the first female patients moved in on 27th May 1863 does anyone know why a male prisoner would be moved there before the first patients as far as I know he was of sound mind it doesn't say anything to the contrary in his records? I don't know if I will be able to find prison records from that time? I have just emailed Berkshire Record Office to see if they hold any information. Any help would be appreciated as he was my brickwall for years and now I have hit another one.

I have done a quick scan of the papers archives, and Broadmoor was stated to be almost completed in June 1862. In January 1863 there was a report talking about transferring convicts to Broadmoor and on 14 April 1863 another report talked about "the growing expense of Broadmoor as it becomes more fully occupied". It seems likely then that prisoners were there earlier than May 1863. Evidently the first person to escape from Broadmoor did so in June 1863 - luckily it has been made more secure since then - it's only a mile up the road from me.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Interesting article about Broadmoor - especially their record keeping! It seems papers were stuffed into cupboards, when the cupboard was full, lock it and find a new cupboard. This went on for over 100 years.

http://www.berksfhs.org.uk/cms/Journ...-archives.html
      Linda

Comment

Thank you for your reply Linda I didn't think about looking in the papers archive I thought a party of male convicts might have gone in to do work or similar but it sounds like they took prisoners earlier than May 1863 and my GGG Grandfather was one of them.

Comment

The results of this search at TNA suggests there were male prisoners there in early 1863. Although I must admit this contrary to most of what I am reading in 21st century websites
          The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

I suspect that this other search result (and similar) will be statistics and not names.
          The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.
          Last edited by keldon; 23-01-16, 21:03.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you again Linda for the link to the article about Broadmoor Archives it was very interesting, I doubt if I will find out anything about GGG Grandfather Samuel Gilbert but you never know.

Comment

Thank you Phil from looking at the first link it is recorded as Broadmoor Lunitic Asylum so maybe GGG Grandfather did have mental health problems although the records I have viewed on Find My Past didn't suggest so? I will look into the National Archives site further to see what else I can discover.

Comment

Well worth a listen

Broadmoor revealed: The Victorian asylum

Chris
                Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

They are currently building a new Broadmoor Hospital next to the old Victorian buildings, which are due for completion in 2017. There is a possibility that the old buildings will be converted to a hotel, so in a few years you might be able to stay where your GGG Grandfather did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-17610985
                  Linda

Comment

Thank you Chris I will listen to this later on I am very interested in Broadmoor now that I know Samuel was there for a while.

Comment

Thank you Linda I would be very interested in staying there if it was converted to a hotel I like to walk or stay in my ancestors footsteps.

Comment

Working...
                      X