Where should I be looking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I be looking?

I need help with MRS Constance Creasey please, post her presumed marriage in 1918.

Constance was born in 1891 in Ely, Cambs, where her father Edmund Serjeant Boulter taught at the choir school. I have her bp & school attendance records & have also traced her in Ely census in 1901 & again in 1911, when she was recorded as a school teacher. So, please don't waste any of your precious time on Constance's early life.

I haven't got the cert (she is only a distant twig) but there is a GRO marriage for Constance Boulter & Frederic G Creasey Q1 1918, Ely reg Dist. I'm pretty sure this will be my Constance because of the location.

I can't find any references for either of them after the marriage. :

Constance's younger sister (teacher at the choir school) Winifred sailed to the US in April 1922 & married there 10 days later. I've found her & her husband in 1930 census, but not in 1940 - They may have returned to England by then??
    Two of the girls' brothers were in Arizona in 1916, so I'm wondering if the Creaseys eventually went there too?

Thanks for reading and any help gratefully received.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Sorry, #1 should read both brothers were in Manitoba in 1916, later moving into the US.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I wonder if this is a son of theirs? bit of a long shot

Desmond C L
      CREASY
      Birth year 1922
      Birth quarter 3
      Registration month -
      Mother's last name BOULTER
      District STOW
      County Suffolk
      Country England
      Volume 4A
      Page 1705

Comment

I saw that, Val, but didn't get anywhere when trying to follow it through. Thanks for looking.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

you sure she married at all ? as there is a Constance Minnie Boulter here in The Teachers Register

Constance Minnie Boulter
          Residence Clarendon Park, Leicester
          First position year 1919
          Registration year 1931
          Entry type 0

Comment

A Constance Minnie Boulter was born in Leicestershire in 1897, so a different lady :(
            Thanks, Val

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              I wonder if this is a son of theirs? bit of a long shot

Desmond C L
              CREASY
              Birth year 1922
              Birth quarter 3
              Registration month -
              Mother's last name BOULTER
              District STOW
              County Suffolk
              Country England
              Volume 4A
              Page 1705
              There was a death of Desmond C L Creasey aged 1 in Q/E March 1924 Smallburgh so could well have been a son of that marriage but just spelled incorrectly
              Jackie

Comment

that sounds good Jackie

Comment

Her Father names her in his will might be an idea to get that
                  Capture.JPG

cannot put the page link for some reason
                  Last edited by Guest; 23-01-16, 21:01.

Comment

birth year out but thats nothing new ? what do you think
                    Constance Creasey
                    Born abt 1899
                    Date of Registration: Sep 1954
                    Age at Death: 55
                    Registration district: Spilsby
                    Inferred County: Lincolnshire
                    Volume: 3b
                    Page: 332

Comment

Hi girls - sorry, had a friend call so only just got back to the forum.

There's also a death reg for Constance Creasy, died 1974 Colchester, Essex - born c 1900.

I am concerned about the differences between apparent years of birth, because this family were literate & numerate and all other family members are never more than a year out in all the records I've found. It's as if they know their exact year of birth and can calculate their age correctly.
                      I'm not getting anywhere with Frederic G Creasey either.

However, I don't see another Creasey/Boulter marriage, so it looks like Dennis probably did belong to the Constance Boulter & Frederick Creasey marriage. But, what happened to Frederic G? Where did he come from, where did he go?

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-01-16, 22:30.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

might be worth as I said to get fathers will it will at least give Constance's address maybe, also as her Father seems to have died in Essex maybe that Colchester one you found is the right one?
                        Last edited by Guest; 23-01-16, 22:35.

Comment

Val, you're a star for mentioning wills & the father dying in Essex.;D
                          That jogged me into going back through old notes about the father and family to find out if any of his other children had an Essex connection. The son who didn't emigrate (Henry) never married, lived in Essex and was a market gardener. Henry died in Clacton on sea in Jan 1952 and probate was granted to Constance Creasey widow The father died at the same address in Clacton, in 1954 and probate of his estate was granted to Isabelle Boulter, spinster. She was his grand-daughter, only child of one of the sons who went to Canada and then moved to California. As an aside, I've found out today from an American newspaper (accessible through the FMP weekend) that this son committed suicide by jumping off a liner on which he his wife and child were cruising.

So, I think that proves that the Constance Boulter/Frederick Creasy marriage is the right one and that Frederic had died by 1952.
                          If Constance had no children, perhaps Isabelle registered her death and didn't know how old her aunt was ?
                          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-01-16, 23:02.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just looked at probate records on Ancestry and Constance Creasey (widow of Frederick) was also granted probate of her father's estate as well as Isabelle.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I'm losing it tonight, lol, as in post 11 I've put Dennis instead of Desmond, and in post 13 Henry instead of Harold!
                              I've found Constance's brother Harold in Clacton in 1939, and there are two others in the household, mother Mary Ann & father Edmund S - only Edmund is transcribed as born in 1908, instead of 1859
                              (They like to keep us on our toes!)
                              Constance wasn't in Clacton in 1939, but I've found a Constance M Creasey (born 1905!) & a Frederick J Creasey (also born 1905) in the same household in Romford, with 2 more who are closed - more children????
                              Jay
                              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-01-16, 23:34.
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Constance will.jpg
                                Constance Creasy probate

Comment

That is The Constance Minnie I mentioned earlier ?

Comment

And now I've found the will of Frederick John Creasey of Romford, who died 1964 and administration was granted in London to Constance Mabel Creasey, widow.

I need a darkened room, I think. Not sure I'm up to tackling the unravelling of all these date conundrums tonight.

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have a feeling thats another couple ? was just thinking if Frederick was in the army he may not appear in 1939

Comment

that Frederick was born in 1904 I dont think its yours.

Comment

Working...
                                        X