Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to sort out names

I have found different spelling in ftm research
    the name of STUCHBURY is also spelt with bree/bre/berry there is even a reference to
    TUTSBURY in a marriage reference all with the same parents and wife
    how do I store the names for correct research results
    brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

You record & store the name as it is written in each record you find.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Brian, I'm not sure if there is a correct protocol but I also have a surname with over 15 variations and I have tended to keep the spelling the same as the relevant document, so that others can follow my research.
      This does mean that the birth, marriage, death surnames of various family members differs within the tree but my (now obsolete) program coped with that. If I think it will cause confusion I also add a note in the body of the research giving alternatives.

Comment

I have one family who presented 10 children for baptism over a period of years and the same vicar spelled the surname differently each time. In those days they did not consider spelling important - they knew who they meant and they had no notion that anyone would be interested 100+ years later.

Often the name for the same individual will be spelled differently on different documents. Shakespeare signed his own name differently himself.

My method is to decide on a standard name - usually it settled into a standard form if it continued to the present - and record all individuals with that spelling regardless of what was written, and then with FTM use the AKA facility to record alternative spellings in the index. Needless to say the original spelling should be recorded in the source or elsewhere in the record. But it is not ideal and if anyone has a better idea I also would like to hear it.
        Last edited by webwiz; 23-01-16, 11:44.
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Webwiz, I do the same as you. I find I prefer to have the family surname listed in alphabetical order in my data otherwise I may be in danger of missing some of them. I always also record the name as it was spelled in the record for each person.

Names can certainly be spelled differently in different documents but I also have the same person in the SAME document having their name spelled three different ways!!

Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 23-01-16, 11:53.

Comment

I do the same as webwiz and Anne.

Comment

If it is a mis-spelling or transcription error I keep to the name I have for them, but will make a note as to how it was spelled. For lines that change the name I use the new name from the person who changed it and on downwards. In my case it is my own name which I have traced back to a small village where, according to a piece of information I found, the name is recorded in 23 different variations in a 100-year period. For all I know there could be more!
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I use the most common form for that particular person or generation and make notes to reflect what it ought to be. However, you have to remember that other people searching may not know what the correct (most common) form of the name is, so if you want other people to find your research, you need to record exactly as found.

It wasn't until I searched for a place name which had been mis-transcribed in 1841 that I found a 5th cousin, who had only picked up the wrong spelling and not corrected it.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                  My method is to decide on a standard name - usually it settled into a standard form if it continued to the present - and record all individuals with that spelling regardless of what was written, and then with FTM use the AKA facility to record alternative spellings in the index. Needless to say the original spelling should be recorded in the source or elsewhere in the record. But it is not ideal and if anyone has a better idea I also would like to hear it.
                  this method ,along with the suggestions from others is most likely the way I will go
                  I think a lot of the misspelling is done in the re posting and possibly by the way old records are digitalised and the people themselves used a common spelling
                  thanking everyone for their assistance
                  brian
                  avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
                  researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Working...
                  X