Can anyone help with this please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with this please?

Was looking for a friend for someone that she went to school with, a girl.

Very unusual name, only two entries, one birth in 1940, one death in 1996. BUT on the death certificate reference is says 'MALE' . Anyone else ever had this? Hell of a transcribing error if it's incorrect

Linda

Linda

An error's an error and the transcriber wouldn't kow whether the person was male or female anyway. Even if it was very obvious that Mary Smith was a female, that doesn't stop anyone typing male by mistake.

As the name is so rare then I would think it correct - does the death date match the birth date (roughly) and can you account for any males born with the surname?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
      Was looking for a friend for someone that she went to school with, a girl.

Very unusual name, only two entries, one birth in 1940, one death in 1996. BUT on the death certificate reference is says 'MALE' . Anyone else ever had this? Hell of a transcribing error if it's incorrect

Linda
      Surely if the person had changed gender then the first name would be different at death to that registered at birth?

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-01-16, 14:30.

Comment

Margaret

Not sure when gender change was recognised by the GRO, but even so, the informant at death can only record what they know, and if they knew the deceased as a male then that's what they would register.

Howver, if it's death of Mary Smith, MALE, then I think it is just a clerical error somewhere.

OC

Comment

Thanks for the answers

Age at death matches with date of birth, never married.

Looked up Christian name, Garnet, and it does seem to have be given predominantly to males.

Perhaps that was the problem.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Yes I've come across Garnet as a forename in my Yorkshire families when it is (in my experience) always a male name. If the death was in an area where it is not unheard of an assumption may have been made.

Hang on .... do you have the actual certificate or is this an indexing thing? I'm not sure I've seen genders assigned to death indexes???
            Anne

Comment

GRO indexes do not show the sex of the person, the actual certificate obviously does. You need to explain what the "death certificate reference" you are looking at is ?
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Quite a number of Garnets, all male, around this area of Breconshire as a Christian name. Also a few surnames as Garnet and Garnett
                Last edited by wr.; 24-01-16, 14:07.

Comment

Hi, this is what I am looking at on FMP. I guess as this person has died it's ok to post details??

GARNET O'MOORE

Last name
                  FARRELL

Birth day

Birth month

Birth year

Death quarter

Death year

District
                  SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE

District number
                  3041B

Register number
                  B3

Entry number

Date of registration mm/yy

County
                  Gloucestershire

Country
                  England

Record set
                  England & Wales deaths 1837-2007

Category
                  Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

Subcategory
                  Deaths & burials

Collections from
                  Great Britain

On FMP they all have whether Male or Female

My friend was with this person at school from age 11-16
                  and they were best friends

Linda
                  Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 24-01-16, 15:14.

Comment

Would it be feasible to contact the District office to see if their record also shows "male" for that record? It looks as if 1996 is late enough for the record to have been fully computerised, so there should be no discrepancy between the two versions - so probably a wild goose chase.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My friend has now sent off for the certificate, so will have to wait and see...thanks

Linda

Comment

GRO couldn't find the certificate so contacting the South Glos office and the certificate arrived last week.

GARNET was indeed a female.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions

Linda

Comment

So glad to know that that little puzzle is now resolved!

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                          X