Upgrading from Vista to Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from Vista to Windows 8

I ran the programme to see if this PC is okay to upgrade but I dont really understand the few that aren't compatible

Realtek Ethernet Network Card Diagnostic Tool
    Secure Boot
    Microsoft Office Word viewer 2003
    Screen Resolution doesn't meet the requirement to install apps from the window store ( needs to be 1024X768)
    Sidebar gadgets aren't supported in windows 8
    Install an app to play DVDs

Can anybody tell me if I need all of these or can I install them

Thanks

You go to control panel and change your screen resolution by yourself to what Win8 needs. See if you like the look of it. If you really hate it then change it back again and don't bother upgrading.

Don't worry about the gadgets not working. There are plenty apps and charms in Win8 that will do the same job if you need them.

Since Win8, Microsoft have cut out the DVD player facility from Windows Media Player which was unfair of them. If you had a business or premium version of Windows, you had a short period to download it for free but that's closed a while ago. The app for DVD playback now costs money from the App Store. Don't worry. There's plenty free reliable ones to download.

The other things in your list, I know nothing about, sorry.

Comment

Thanks Galloway gonna to have a go, luckily I do have laptops to go back to if this fails

Comment

Why would you want to upgrade to the worst operating system Microsoft released?

If you want compatibility your best bet is to upgrade to Windows 10 which is far more compatible to old software (and hardware).

Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

thanks Guy I just assumed you had to go to windows 8 first dont know why ,would the same programmes that aren't compatible with 8 from Vista to 10 be the same issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            thanks Guy I just assumed you had to go to windows 8 first dont know why ,would the same programmes that aren't compatible with 8 from Vista to 10 be the same issues.
            No for instance the LDS CDs that run under Folio Views software are again accessible under Windows 10.
            Surprisingly a number for graphics cards that did not work under Windows 7 can be used under Windows 10.
            I have found it to be one of the better Microsoft operating systems.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Last edited by Guy; 21-01-16, 14:15. Reason: spelling
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

thanks again Guy I shall be doing that then

Comment

Working...
              X