Help with a Grave Marker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Grave Marker

Hello. I'm new to these forums but glad to find. I have a grave marker rubbing. It's framed and quite beautiful. There is an inscription on the top which reads,"Er Serchog Cof Am," which I believe is Welch and means In Loving Memory Of. The remainder of the marker also appears to be in Welch and lists several members of the Roberts family who passed anywhere from 1900 to 1914. There are two things I'm trying to find out. The first is where this grave marker may be and the second is a word I cannot identify. Below the first listed name, Richard Roberts, are listed two words; Shop and Nebo. I'm guessing Nebo is a town but I cannot find any meaning to the word Shop. I'm hoping it's a clue. I'm enjoying learning a few Welch words though I wouldn't attempt pronouncing. Some are obvious to English but my favorite so far is Tachwedd meaning November. Never would have guessed.
    Thank you,
    Bill OD

Can you take a photo of it and post it here?

Nebo could be "nobody" but as far as I know there are no Welsh words with "sh".
    Last edited by webwiz; 19-01-16, 10:34.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

One of the problems with Welsh - from the outsider perspective - is that it conjugates and declines - and when the words change, that can include the first letter! That means that what is essentially the same word could start with any of (e.g.) M, B, F, V. IN the same way, C & G are related.
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-01-16, 15:01.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a administration record in the National Probate Calander for a Richard Roberts, shopkeeper, of Shop Nebo Llaneilian, Anglesey. He died 17 November 1900, administration was 29 May 1901 at Bangor to Ellen Roberts, widow. So it looks like Ship Nebo is possible to Shop at Nebo? or a shop name?

Edit: He was buried at Llanwenllwyfo, Anglesey.
        Last edited by Tippin; 20-01-16, 12:03.
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Richard is listed as a Farm and Grocer on the 1891 Census. The address is given as Shop Nebo, it could be the name of a shop or possibly a house?

If you want to know more about the burial send me a PM. Also the link to the Probate Calendar entry mentioned in my last post can be found here.

Edit: Sorry, this is really bad English on my part! It should read - So it looks like Shop Nebo was possibly a hamlet at Nebo? or a shop name? God knows what I was thinking when I wrote the below!

Originally posted by Tippin View Post
          So it looks like Ship Nebo is possible to Shop at Nebo? or a shop name?
          Last edited by Tippin; 20-01-16, 12:27.
          Families Intrested in
          Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Is this article of any use to you?

The Official Nantlle Valley Website. A website created by local people for the benefit of the Nantlle Valley area and its residents in general, by keeping the history of Dyffryn Nantlle alive as well as by sharing information about local activities, resources and businesses. Anyone is welcome to send any information to nantlle.com in order for it to be included on the website.

Comment

Thank you all for the speedy and quite amazing amount of information. Tippin appears to have indeed found the exact location of this marker. Interesting that sometimes we find things and sometimes things find us. The grave marker rubbing that I wrote of is in a frame behind glass. It's about 5 foot tall and about 2 1/2 foot wide. I found it in a niche at the back of a thrift store in Northern California. The layer of dust told it had been there for some time. I thought it deserved better, bought it and so begins my relationship with a few members of the Roberts family. Thanks to this forum and all of you who take the time to contribute, the good folks whose names are listed on the stone will again be said aloud and not forgotten. I'll check back in as this story unfolds. Again, many thanks, Bill OD

Comment

What an amazing story!!!
                Anne

Comment

Is it possible that the word is siop and not shop? Siop is the usual spelling for shop in Welsh. If the text is supposed to indicate that his address was The Shop, Nebo I would expect it to say "y siop". But of course it is possible that they have used the English spelling.
                  Last edited by webwiz; 20-01-16, 19:02.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    I think this is a different Nebo, in Mainland Wales.

Comment

Working...
                    X