Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please with my family of ELVIN

Sorry if this rambles on a bit.
    WILLIAM ELVIN was born about 1743 in Baumber, Lincolnshire. He died in 1793 in Baumber,
    He married Margaret Would on 16 Apr 1765 in Stainfield. She was born about 1742 in Kirby on Bain. They had the following children:( not in correct order)
    CATHERINE ELVIN was born about 1767 in Baumber, Lincolnshire, England.
    She died in 1868,She married THOMAS SUTTON.
    .MARGARET ELVIN was born about 1767 in Baumber, Lincs."
    WOULD ELVIN was born about 1784-1784 in Baumber.
    WOULD ELVIN was born about 1789 in Baumber. He died on 17 May 1876 in Louth, Lincs. He married Mary Hill on 14 May 1817 in Belchford, Lincoln.
    WILLIAM ELVIN was born about 1770-1782 Baumber.
    ELIZABETH ELVIN was born about 1767 in Baumber,
    ROBERT ELVIN was born about 1772 -1772in Baumber,
    ANN ELVIN. She died in 1776 in Baumber,
    JOHN ELVIN was born about 1766 in Kirkby on Bain, Lincs. He "married "CATHERINE.- cannot find marriage that fits.John Elvin and Catherine had the following child: ROBERT3 ELVIN (John2, William1) was born about 1803 in Baumber,He died on 14 Jan 1892 in Worcester, Worcestershire, England (Probate). He married Mary Dicks on 31 Oct 1830 in Thrapston, Northampton. She was born in 1811 in,Ringstead, Northamptonshire. She died in Jan 1890 in Billesdon, Leicestershire.NOW according to one census record Robert Elvin was born about 1803 in HULL Yorkshire. He lived in Thrapston in 1830 (at time of marriage). He was employed as a Journey Saddler in 1841 which explains how he ended up in Thrapston. Age: 35. He was a Saddler in 1851living in Bridge Street (Age: 48) and in 1857 (Poll Book). Still a Saddler in 1861 and 1871 he had moved to Market Place, Thrapston.
    He was an Annuitant in 1881living in Billesdon, Leicestershire, (Age: 78; Married;Head)
    He lived in St Peter the Great, Worcestershire, England in 1891 (Age: 88; Relation to ,Head of House: Father)

Robert Elvin and Mary Dicks had the following children:
    GEORGE CLIFTON4 ELVIN was born in 1833 in Thrapston- he lived inThrapston,between 1841-1861. He was employed as also a Saddler in 1861.
    ALFRED JULIUS ELVIN was born in 1837 in Thrapston. He died in Oct 1896 in Worcestershire.. He married HARRIET ELVIN. She was born about 1829 in Tewkesbury.
    HORACE WOLD ELVIN was born in 1847 in Thrapston. He died in Jan 1873 in Northamptonshire. He married Margaret Robinson on 20 Jun 1870 in Harpenden, Hertfordshire,
    EMILY JANE ELVIN was born in Jun 1849 in Thrapston,Northamptonshire, She died in Apr 1882 in Billesdon, Leicestershire. She married ,James Frederick Beresford, son of Henry Beresford and Mary C. Beresford in 1871 in Thrapston, Northampton.
    FLORENCE WOLD ELVIN was born about 1847.
    EDWIN EMMANUEL ELVIN was born in 1835 in Thrapston. He died on 17 Nov 1879 in Hull, Yorkshire East Riding.He married Ann Gardner, daughter of Charles Gardner and Elizabeth Letts , 06 Sep 1859 in Avon Dassett, Warwickshire, England. She was born in 1835 in Avon Dassett, Warwickshire. She died on 21 Jan 1907 in,Sculcoates, Hull, Yorkshire.
    Edwin Emmanuel Elvin lived in Thrapston, Northamptonshire, England in 1841. He lived in Thrapston between 1841-1851. He was ,employed as a Apprentice Cordwainer in 1851. He lived in Bristol St James and St Paul, Gloucestershire,in 1861. He was employed as a Boot Maker in 1871 living at 10 Pelham Street, Southcoates, Hull, East Yorkshire where he continued to live until his death.

Edwin and the family living in HULL is where I am descended from. What I am trying to find out is
    1. What happened to John Elvin born 1766 Kirby on Bain?
    2. Who was Catherine( wife of above John and mother of Robert Elvin b1803 Baumber)?
    3. Why did their son Robert b1803 Baumber, Lincs put down that he was born in Hull, E Yorks as his birth place on one of the censuses?
    There is some sort of link to Hull for Edwin(Roberts son) to set up home there but what is it? I,m stuck!
    Last edited by GrandmaSilver; 16-01-16, 09:54.

Did Robert b1803 have a brother John b1810?

John Elvin
    England Births and Christenings
    Name John Elvin
    Gender Male
    Wife Catharine Proctor
    Son John Elvin
    Other information in the record of John Elvin
    from England Births and Christenings
    Name John Elvin
    Gender Male
    Christening Date 30 May 1810
    Christening Place St. Swithin's, Lincoln, Lincoln, England
    Father's Name John Elvin
    Mother's Name Catharine Proctor
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Help please with my family of ELVIN

I can't find any thing else out about John and Catherine Elvins children apart fro Robert. John Elvin that married Catherine Proctor took place 15 Aug 1809 Canwick so I have discounted that as it was 6 years after Robert was christened.
      Last edited by GrandmaSilver; 18-01-16, 19:56.

Comment

Assuming that Proctor is Catharine's surname, it is rather unusual for the vicar to record the mother's maiden name at a baptism. if married. So it is tempting to think that Catharine and John were not married but that John acknowledged that he was the father and so the boy was given his surname. This happened once in my own family in 1832. However the problem with this theory is that whilst it might have been the case for Robert, by the time John jnr was christened it seems they were already married. Nevertheless if I were you I would not discount this Catharine.
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Have been looking at this 9th Jan 1803 baptism, Baumber for Robert, I can't work out the parent name?

GBPRS_LINCS_BAUMBER_PAR_1_2_0790.jpg
          Last edited by Elaine; 18-01-16, 21:36.
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Am on FM* and a few pages down from this entry, Pg 19 Robert son of Katherine
            Elaine

Comment

Hi
              I had a look at this yesterday & came to the conclusion that Robert's mother was Katherine who went on to marry Thomas Sutton the following year. K/Catherine & Thomas had children baptised whose names included Elvin, Wold & Clifton so she was definitely related to the earlier Elwins although this Catherine was born c1781 & not 1767.(buried 15 March 1867 age 86 at Belchford, St Peter & St Paul)
              Moggie

Comment

Just what I had been looking at!
                Elaine

Comment

Think that is My Johns sister. Don't have chance to look at tree until later this afternoon. At one point we thought that this was Roberts mother as birth noted mother was Catherine no mention of father then I found bap with father John Elvin.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmaSilver View Post
                    Think that is My Johns sister. Don't have chance to look at tree until later this afternoon. At one point we thought that this was Roberts mother as birth noted mother was Catherine no mention of father then I found bap with father John Elvin.
                    The baptism that Elaine posted #5 comes from the original church register.
                    The baptism entry giving parents John & Catherine from Select Births & Christenings 1538-1975 (Ancestry) is only a transcribed entry so therefore open to errors.
                    Moggie

Comment

So I wonder where they dragged John Elvin as father came from?

Comment

So Catherine Elvin daughter of William and Margaret Elvin was single parent of Robert Elvin 1803?

Comment

Just looking up on my records to see when Catherine married Thomas Sutton which I haven't got but when I searched his name the Poll Books 1790 City of Lincoln came up. There is a Thomas Sutton Joiner New Shambles, Hull! Why would it say Hull if it was Lincoln's Poll Books? was Robert his son? Is that why in 1851 census Robert Elvin says he was born Hull???

My notes forThomas Sutton say , died abt June 1851, resident in Belchford from 1841, was press-ganged by other local men into joining the army in c.1795 and (I believe) served in 24th Foot Regiment and 5th Foot Regiment. He saw 'active service' in Alexandria, Egypt in 1801 where he was blinded. In July 1801 the 24th Foot Regiment are recorded as having marched to Plymouth for embarkation to Egypt. Encamped near Alexandria, the unit missed the fighting under General Abercrombie. It returned to England in April 1802, landed at Gosport and marched via Cirencester, Gloucester, Tewkesbury, Stafford, Landback and Warrington to Liverpool. I know not if the 'injury' was as a result of active service or otherwise. He was discharged aged 33 after 7 years 1 month of service and was thereafter a 'Chelsea Pensioner', officially recorded on census as being blind.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmaSilver View Post
                            Just looking up on my records to see when Catherine married Thomas Sutton which I haven't got but when I searched his name the Poll Books 1790 City of Lincoln came up. There is a Thomas Sutton Joiner New Shambles, Hull! Why would it say Hull if it was Lincoln's Poll Books? was Robert his son? Is that why in 1851 census Robert Elvin says he was born Hull???

My notes forThomas Sutton say , died abt June 1851, resident in Belchford from 1841, was press-ganged by other local men into joining the army in c.1795 and (I believe) served in 24th Foot Regiment and 5th Foot Regiment. He saw 'active service' in Alexandria, Egypt in 1801 where he was blinded. In July 1801 the 24th Foot Regiment are recorded as having marched to Plymouth for embarkation to Egypt. Encamped near Alexandria, the unit missed the fighting under General Abercrombie. It returned to England in April 1802, landed at Gosport and marched via Cirencester, Gloucester, Tewkesbury, Stafford, Landback and Warrington to Liverpool. I know not if the 'injury' was as a result of active service or otherwise. He was discharged aged 33 after 7 years 1 month of service and was thereafter a 'Chelsea Pensioner', officially recorded on census as being blind.
                            Hi
                            I did find a marriage for Catherine & Thomas 1804, not sure where I found this. Thomas died in 1860, buried Belchford St Peter & St Paul on 17th Feb 1860 age 83 so born c 1777 so not likely to be the Thomas listed in the poll books in 1790. Interestingly the grandson living with them in 1851 was born in Hull although I can't find a birth reg for him or a marriage for his mother Elizabeth to a Gawan. Maybe the spelling of the surname is wrong or she married pre 1837.
                            Moggie

Comment

Hi
                              Just found the marriage on Familysearch. Charles Gawan & Elizabeth Sutton Qtr 1 1840 Sculcoates Yorkshire, also the baptism in Scotland in 1842 of daughter Ann Elizabeth.(fits with her place of birth in 1851).
                              Moggie

Comment

Yes I thought I had seen this marriage somewhere! Thanks. Getting a bit confused now as to who married whom and where children come in. Will need to sit down and write a tree. If my Catherine Elvin b c 1767 gave birth to Robert Elvin bc 1803 she would have been approx 36 years old. Then she married Thomas Sutton and had 2 more children ( elizabeth and boy with unusual name). Will have to get back to you later this afternoon- 22 month granddaughter duties so no chance to sort it out now.

Comment

Have you found a baptism entry for a Catherine born c 1767? I can't find one. She could be the Katherine, mother of Robert but not the Catherine (c1781) who married Thomas Sutton. A good idea to write down a tree & note where & when baptisms, marriages etc were found.
                                  Moggie

Comment

No baptism for Catherine.

Comment

Found the marriage for Thomas Sutton & Catherine Elvin on FMP They married 15 Oct 1804 at Blakeney. Lincs. BUT when I looked on FreeREG the bride is named as Catherine Thom, same date same place so this must be a transcription error. Should I report this to FreeReg being as I haven't viewed the actual register?
                                      Moggie

Comment

So is this really Catherine Elvin's marriage or is there a Catherine Thom??

Comment

Working...
                                        X