Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did my Grandma's sister tell a lie on the 1939 Register?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did my Grandma's sister tell a lie on the 1939 Register?

Violet Shipp nee Davis's dob was 11 Oct 1902 (it's not a transcription error) Address same as when she died Sept 1986. DOB given as abt 1899! Maybe she didn't know her year of birth for some reason..;)

So how come she's aged 6 months on the 1901 Census in Bristol and aged 10 on the 1911?
    I have her marriage certificate and death certificate but couldn't pin down a relevant birth reg for her.
    teresa

Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
    Violet Shipp nee Davis's dob was 11 Oct 1902 (it's not a transcription error) Address same as when she died Sept 1986. DOB given as abt 1899! Maybe she didn't know her year of birth for some reason..;)

So how come she's aged 6 months on the 1901 Census in Bristol and aged 10 on the 1911?
    I have her marriage certificate and death certificate but couldn't pin down a relevant birth reg for her.
    sounds to me like she used her Baptism date as a birthdate?

if you could give some more information then perhaps we can have a look and try and find something.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

These things can happen, and it's not always clear why. My grandfather's DOB is six months out across all of his Army records, despite the fact that (as far as we know) he had no reason to lie about his age when joining up.
      Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
      Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
      Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

What age does she give on her marriage cert? Perhaps she thought that 3 years older than Stanley didn't sound as bad as 6 years older?
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
          What age does she give on her marriage cert? Perhaps she thought that 3 years older than Stanley didn't sound as bad as 6 years older?
          She has her age as 25 and he was 21 when they married in Aug 1926.
          teresa

Comment

I think that's the answer then - she was 7 years older than him and didn't want him to know!

When I met my second husband at a social function, I lied about my age and said I was three years younger than I actually am - I really don't know why I lied, but I did, not imagining in my wildest dreams that we would eventually marry! I had to keep the deception up for the 15 years of our marriage and frequently had to bribe my mum to keep quiet, lol.

It's obviously in my genes - a 2 x GGM knocked THIRTEEN years off her age when she married for the second time. She kept the deceit up on all census but reverted to her correct age when hubby died. Her correct age is on her death cert too. I often wonder if her husband wondered why they had no children - she was pretending to be 33 but was really 46.

OC

Comment

I've often posted that my grandfather lied about his birthday

We had to celebrate on Christmas Day, and his version of his age put his birth at 1886.

After his death, my uncle found Grandfather's birth certificate in a drawer ....... he was born Jan 9 1885. I now have a copy, and that is accurate

He was baptized on Dec 29 1886, at the same time as his sister who was born earlier in 1886.

Not only that, but both Grandfather and Grandmother added years to their ages when they married ............. but in a very strange way.

They married on November 2 1902, and Grandfather said he was 20 and Grandmother said she was 21

In fact, he was 17 and Grandmother was 19.

It meant he was still a minor, and family members did attend the marriage and act as witnesses, so why???
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

If you are sure the Violet you have found on the 1901 and 1911 censuses is yours then the ages given then will be the most accurate, - 6 months on 31 March 1901 means born around September/ October 1900 depending on whether whoever filled in the form meant she was six and a bit months or in her 6th month.
                So the date given in 1939 might be right day and month but two years out, either because she deliberately or mistakenly added two years to her age or because someone else in her family filled in the 1939 form, knew her birthday but wasn't sure of her age.
                Age 25 at her mariage in August 1926 would be correct as she didn't become 26 until October.
                The "about 1899" from her death entry means her age at death was registered as 87 but again that info would only be as reliable as the person who gave it.
                Last edited by JudithM; 15-01-16, 21:26.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                  If you are sure the Violet you have found on the 1901 and 1911 censuses is yours then the ages given then will be the most accurate, - 6 months on 31 March 1901 means born around September/ October 1900 depending on whether whoever filled in the form meant she was six and a bit months or in her 6th month.
                  So the date given in 1939 might be right day and month but two years out, either because she deliberately or mistakenly added two years to her age or because someone else in her family filled in the 1939 form, knew her birthday but wasn't sure of her age.
                  Age 25 at her mariage in August 1926 would be correct as she didn't become 26 until October.
                  The "about 1899" from her death entry means her age at death was registered as 87 but again that info would only be as reliable as the person who gave it.
                  It was her husband Stanly who was the informant of her death.

As for the 1939 form her husband wasn't there he was a Merchant seaman, so she must have completed the form.

Yes I'm positive I've got the correct Violet Davis.
                  I have her siblings BDM certificates.

1901 Census 7 Montague Street Bristol

Hy Robt Clarks 67
                  Wm Davis 49
                  Lydia Davis 48
                  Eliza Mary Davis 22
                  Sarah Jane Davis 20
                  Dova Davis 18
                  Thomas Davis 17
                  Nelly Davis 16
                  Rosa Davis 13
                  Alice Davis 11
                  Bertie Davis 9
                  Sidney Davis 7
                  Richard Davis 4
                  May Davis 2
                  Violet Davis 6/12

1911 Census 17 Duke Street, King Square, Bristol

William Davis 57
                  Lydia Davis 57
                  Sarah Jane Davis 30
                  Dora Davis 28
                  Lydia Davis 26
                  Alice Davis 21
                  Sidny Davis 16
                  Richard Escott Davis 14
                  Beatrice May Davis 12
                  Violet Davis 10
                  Last edited by kathsgirl.48; 15-01-16, 21:52.
                  teresa

Comment

if she is on the 1901 census then she could not have been born 11 Oct 1902 unless they were mind readers so Judith is right I did have a quick look earlier will have another

Comment

so what about this one Violet Davies with an E born Dec quarter of 1900 Bristol Gloucestershire 6A 72

Comment

Val

I agree she can't be on the 1901 if she was born in 1902, lol...but I got caught by something like this.

To cut a long story short, my friend's grandmother always swore she was four years younger than everyone else said she was and in the end her daughter sent for gran's birth cert, to prove she was born in 1900 and not in 1904 as she always claimed.

I thought this was quite interesting and more or less idly looked at the indexes. She was showing on the 1901 census...but in 1911 she appeared to be only 7 years old.. I checked a bit more and hey! the first one born in 1900 had died and they called the next on, born in 1904, by nearly the same name.

Funny thing about this was it meant she got her old age pension four years early because THEY (dwp) found the 1900 birth, lol.

OC

Comment

She was Lucky getting it early ,you know what OC I just found a death for a Violet Davis in 1903 Bristol aged 2 spooky or what,

Comment

Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
                            It was her husband Stanly who was the informant of her death.

As for the 1939 form her husband wasn't there he was a Merchant seaman, so she must have completed the form.

Yes I'm positive I've got the correct Violet Davis.
                            I have her siblings BDM certificates.

1901 Census 7 Montague Street Bristol

Hy Robt Clarks 67
                            Wm Davis 49
                            Lydia Davis 48
                            Eliza Mary Davis 22
                            Sarah Jane Davis 20
                            Dova Davis 18
                            Thomas Davis 17
                            Nelly Davis 16
                            Rosa Davis 13
                            Alice Davis 11
                            Bertie Davis 9
                            Sidney Davis 7
                            Richard Davis 4
                            May Davis 2
                            Violet Davis 6/12

1911 Census 17 Duke Street, King Square, Bristol

William Davis 57
                            Lydia Davis 57
                            Sarah Jane Davis 30
                            Dora Davis 28
                            Lydia Davis 26
                            Alice Davis 21
                            Sidny Davis 16
                            Richard Escott Davis 14
                            Beatrice May Davis 12
                            Violet Davis 10
                            Does the marriage cert tally with the fathers name and occupation/address/witness etc. ?
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              She was Lucky getting it early ,you know what OC I just found a death for a Violet Davis in 1903 Bristol aged 2 spooky or what,
                              If you click on the envelope at the side of this one someone has added this information -
                              Violet Davis, died in the Workhouse, aged 2, Oct 1903, sub Dist of Stapleton, Bristol. Father: William Davis, a gardener of Saint George

Comment

so what about this one Violet Davies with an E born Dec quarter of 1900 Bristol Gloucestershire 6A 72
                                That does look a possibility as I can't find a death for her or find her in 1901 or 1911 under Davies.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  Does the marriage cert tally with the fathers name and occupation/address/witness etc. ?
                                  Her address is not the Davis family home, but correct father and occupation although William is deceased. No Davis witnesses though.

When her sister Beatrice May Davis married in 1925, Violet Davis and Stanley Shipp were her witnesses. Beatrice's husband was a merchant seaman too.
                                  teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    That does look a possibility as I can't find a death for her or find her in 1901 or 1911 under Davies.
                                    I will check that out Chrissie, Thanks.
                                    teresa

Comment

I hadn't seen this one, so I'm going to order the birth certificate. It's worth a punt! Thanks Val.
                                      teresa

Comment

gawd hope its right hate wasting peoples money please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                        X