Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query regarding surname

Hello'

I would be grateful for some advice concerning 3 letters which seem to connect a surname.

Christopher Moore ats Rowland, the son of John Moore ats Rowland, was baptised at North Tawton, Devon on 30th September 1694.

Christopher Moore ats Rowland married Jane Jerrett at North Tawton on 24th July 1720.

Their daughter Elizabeth Moore ats Rowland appears to have been baptised twice at North Tawton; initially on 29th August 1721 then again on 4th March 1723.

I am a little confused as to what ats, if I've read it correctly, means. Also as to why Elizabeth was christened twice at the same church.

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards.
    Giddysue

Are these transcriptions or the actual image of the page? I'm guessing there are two alternative surnames Moore OR Rowland. Could it say 'aka' .... also known as?
    Anne

Comment

Hi Anne,

Of course, I didn't think of that - must have had a senior moment. Wonder why the family had an alias .......

The information was obtained from North Tawton, Devonshire's parish records.

Sue

Comment

Maybe the parents weren't married so used both parents surnames.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Good point, momentarily thought that may have explained why Elizabeth was christened twice but then realised her parents (Christopher and Jane) were married and she was baptised on both occasions with identical details.

Comment

I've occasionally seen families going by alternative names for no discernable reasons that I can work out.
            Anne

Comment

I think it more likely there were two Elizabeths and the first one died.

I''ve seen these alternative surnames quite a lot in my tree and it is usually traced back to an illegitimacy. The church had a very long memory and discounted marriages which took place during the interregnum.

EDIT to say - the letters are probably "als", short for alias.

OC
              Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 12-01-16, 00:11. Reason: More info

Comment

The image for the 1720 marriage is on Findmypast - it does look like ats ... unless it was common to "cross the l" in those days!

Elaine

Comment

'als' [or Ales and sometimes 'ats'] = alias - Usually in parish registers e.g. '18 Aug 1678 - John the son of John MORY Ales [alias] WILES' as in St Peters register

source: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb..../Glossary.html
                  Elaine

Comment

I've a feeling the line through the l was to denote that als was a short form of the longer word rather than a letter t as all the ts on that page are considerably shorter than the letter in question.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Yes Judith, I have that feeling too. Wasn't it something done in Latin??
                      Anne

Comment

I think it used to be, in Secretary hand, that a line above the word denoted some letters missing. Something like how we would use an aphostrophe now.

OC

Comment

Many thanks for your suggestions and advice.

I hope this doesn't complicate matters but I have now put more information and request for help on the sensitive section of this site, I have used the same thread title.

Kind regards
                          Giddysue

Comment

Working...
                          X