Help to track down what happened to George Dillon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to track down what happened to George Dillon

I've been trying for some time to track down more information on the George Dillon in the 1851 census (HO107, Piece: 2230, Folio: 395, Page: 68). The Robert Dillon on the census died in 1860 and his son William had died the year beforehand and Robert's Widow appears on the 1861 census with her daughter. George's age has been transcribed as 17 but it appears to be 47 not 17 (although I searched with both ages to be safe).

I've looked for him both before and after in censuses and all records on FMP but with no luck; I tried surname variants and searched across the whole country.

I have had help on the Rootschat forum but I've still have not managed to track George down.
    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738311.0

I believe that George Dillon may be related to "my" Dillons since in 1851 the Ann Dillon who was described as a visitor seems to be the same one (but not certain) that appears later on the 1861 census with "my" Dillons. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...074#msg5709074

I've been at a brick wall at about 1800 with my Dillons for a year now since the family originated from Ireland with no original location known. I'm hoping that if I can find some record of George I might be able to see if he is indeed a relative of "my" Dillons and if so whether I might be able to get any useful info.

Could anyone help?

There is a George Dillon in the army in 1860 says born 1838 St Annes Dublin could that be him

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      There is a George Dillon in the army in 1860 says born 1838 St Annes Dublin could that be him
      Thanks for finding that, I'm afraid though that I don't think it's him as I'm fairly sure now that the census does.give his age as 47 rather than 17. I've sent you a PM though

Comment

have sent them will have another look for one born earlier

Comment

seems odd if Robert is his Brother and aged 46 that George would be only 17 would have thought it more likely he would be abt 47

Comment

just pmd you again

Comment

I agree that it's more likely that George was about 47, however, I've searched using both ages and neither have been successful

Comment

Working...
              X