Sarah Dewar / Variety of Last Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah Dewar / Variety of Last Names

I have found a Sarah Dewar (b. around 1813), d.1906.

Born in Inverness, Scotland, died in Glengarry, Ontario, Canada.

After emigration, her last name went through an evolution, sometimes McLeor, McClure, Doer and Dewar.

She married Donald McDonald.

Even though there is apparently good coverage of the Dewar line in Glengarry, I can't find her parents, though I've tried the variety of last names.

There is even a book on the topic, though I can't find a copy.

"Dewar - Tracing Our Family in Glengarry, Ont."

It's a lead, I suppose, but I can't do anything with it at the moment.

Sarah Dewar / McClure had a sister, Penelope, also born in Scotland, who also emigrated.

This Penelope married an Andrew Fraser.

Thoughts and advice from those wiser than me is always welcome.

Thanks for the time.
    Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 09-01-16, 16:25.

When and where did she marry? Her father's name at least should be on the marriage record.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      When and where did she marry? Her father's name at least should be on the marriage record.

OC
      She probably married in Glengarry, Ontario, Canada...around 1836 or so? But I can't find a marriage record.

I have seen it with no evidence in an "unofficial tree" that it was 1836.

Comment

I found a couple booklets by Donald Keith Dewar (now deceased) who did some research in the 1990s-2000s, and according to him the lineage leading to Sarah and Penelope Dewar is...

John Doer (born 1675 in Dull Parish) married Janet Menzies (born 1680). Marriage occurred in 1700.

They had several kids: Duncan, James, Donald, John, Isobel and maybe more.

Donald Doer (above) married unknown woman (possibly a MacLeod).

Their children included: Donald, John Bane, Angus, Roderick, Duncan, William, Malcolm, Christian Ann, Nancy and Catherine.

Malcolm Doer (above) married Catherine MacLennan (and lived at Glenelg).

Their children included Sarah and Penelope (subject of this thread) and others (Donald, Malcolm, Roderick born around 1805 +/- 10 yrs).

I'm having trouble verifying this. I've seen some of the similar names and relationships with dates maybe 20 years different. And there is an Ancestry Public Tree credited to Donald Keith Dewar, but it has Catherine MacLennan married to John Bane Doer instead of the Malcolm Doer listed above.

I'm hoping that these booklets are the final word, but I can't back anything up as of yet.

Comment

TFS

You know the rules! No sources = fantasy.

Of course, the research might be accurate but there is no way of knowing, sorry.

OC

Comment

I found this site with a listed marriage, just names of bride and groom...Dewar? Sally 1836

Last edited by Elaine; 17-07-16, 19:40.
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              I found this site with a listed marriage, just names of bride and groom...Dewar? Sally 1836

http://www.ontariogenealogy.com/east...marriages.html
              Thanks. I've come across that Sally Dewar once before, and never came to a firm conclusion.

Comment

Working...
              X