John MacDonald and Ann MacPherson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John MacDonald and Ann MacPherson

I just had a pretty nice breakthrough in my research. Some hard work and a little bit of luck.

I have locked things down with John MacDonald and his wife Ann MacPherson, who emigrated from Scotland to Canada in 1815.

They were aboard a ship, the Dorothy.

Going by the ages on the passenger lists, John MacDonald was born around 1767/1768 and Ann MacPherson was born around 1775.

They both set up shop and lived out their lives in Ontario, Canada.

They were from Callander, Perth, Scotland. At least that was where they lived with their family before leaving for North America. I don't know for sure if they were born there.

- - -

I am seeing a number of trees in Europe going all the way back to the beginning of time, so I wanted to tread carefully and verify any steps that go further up than John and Ann.

Once things hit Scotland and Europe, I don't have much or any evidence. I've seen some marriage dates and parents, but no hard evidence or original documents.

Their kids on the Dorothy were Christian (maybe Christina), Margaret, Thomas, Agnes, Donald and John.

- - -

If anyone can help me lock anything down from Scotland going backwards up the tree, or anything like a baptism or marriage entry in the parish journals, I welcome your help as always and am grateful as always.

This could be an interesting trip up the tree, if I can get a few footholds.

Hello there,

I used up a couple of credits on wwww.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I found two children born to John McDonald and Ann McPherson in Callander, Perthshire.

Duncan McDonald born 8 September 1809

John McDonald born 16 August 1812

I couldn't find a marriage in Callender.

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Have a look at http://www.islandregister.com/mcdonald2.html I have not spent any time on it so could be a red herring
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
        Hello there,

I used up a couple of credits on wwww.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I found two children born to John McDonald and Ann McPherson in Callander, Perthshire.

Duncan McDonald born 8 September 1809

John McDonald born 16 August 1812

I couldn't find a marriage in Callender.

bcbrit
        Thank you very much for looking into this and using your credits.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
          Have a look at http://www.islandregister.com/mcdonald2.html I have not spent any time on it so could be a red herring
          Thanks. Interesting link, but I searched for every John and MacPherson and didn't seem to cross paths with my John and Ann. Appreciate the suggestion.

Comment

The ages of the kids on the passenger list at the time of the 1815 voyage are...

Christian (daughter) (22)
            Margaret (20)
            Thomas (17)
            Agnes (15) - possibly also went by Nancy or Ann
            Donald (10)
            John (3)

Duncan - not on the ship list but some evidence that there was indeed a son Duncan in the family when they got to Canada.
            And
            Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 09-01-16, 22:59.

Comment

The births you give MAY correspond with the following on familysearch:

Christian (daughter) (22) NB: in Scotland Christian and Christina are variants
              Margaret (20) Margaret bap 21 Jan 1791 Boleskine Inverness
              Thomas (17) Thomas born 02 May 1797 Boleskine Inverness
              Agnes (15) - possibly also went by Nancy or Ann ANN born 01 Apr 1799 bap 02 Apr 1799 Boleskine Inverness
              Donald (10)
              John (3) John born 12 Aug 1812 bap 16 Aug 1812 Callander Perthshire

There is also:
              Duncan born 07 Sep 1809 bap 08 Sep 1809 Callander
              Mary bap 09 Nov 1811 Inverness
              William bap 26 Apr 1815 Inverness

Comment

It might be worth investigating what information was given on the baptismal registers in these parishes - the content can vary widely from basic information to including occupation and even who the child is named after (e.g. maternal aunt or whatever) which can give additional clues for you.

It is interesting they seem to move between Invernessshire and Perthshire (Callander and Boleskine being a fair distance apart): is there anything in John's occupation or perhaps Ann's family that might give any clues here?

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                  It might be worth investigating what information was given on the baptismal registers in these parishes - the content can vary widely from basic information to including occupation and even who the child is named after (e.g. maternal aunt or whatever) which can give additional clues for you.

It is interesting they seem to move between Invernessshire and Perthshire (Callander and Boleskine being a fair distance apart): is there anything in John's occupation or perhaps Ann's family that might give any clues here?
                  John was a soldier in Ireland from around 1794-1797.

Otherwise, he was a tailor, and I have seen him listed once as a "labourer."

Comment

That helps to account for a gap in the births in Scotland! (if the family was with him there might be Ireland births too). Do you have his army record?

Comment

That helps to account for a gap in the births in Scotland! (if the family was with him there might be Ireland births too). Do you have his army record?
                      I don't have his army record. Wish I did - could be a gold mine.

I know he was discharged in 1797.
                      Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 10-01-16, 13:16.

Comment

I don't have access to it, but there exists a section of the National Archives that looks more specific and relevant than anything I had pictured:

1. Why use this guide? This guide will help you to search for British Army records of soldiers who served between the 18th and early 20th centuries and covers the service of soldiers who were discharged right up until just before the start of the First World War. Although Britain has had a regular standing army since […]

"3.3 Soldiers discharged from the Army in Ireland 1783-1822: certificates of service"

That's fairly promising, to at least know that records exist pertaining to something that specific.
                        Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 10-01-16, 13:38.

Comment

How do you know he was in the army in that period and was in Ireland? Do you know the regiment at all or any other information?

There are several possibilities at findmypast and you would need to look at them to marry up what you know with what they contain, but one that stood out was:

Mcdonald John born 1767 — event [probably discharge date] 1797 Spamouth, Fochabus, Morayshire, Scotland

I'd advise looking at more than just this one though.

The record (if yo find one that fits) should give his age (sometimes a bit out) and birth place. These should help with IDing your John's birth/baptism. You may also be able to narrow down possible locations of marriage based on dates where he served. If you are very lucky you might get information on next of kin etc.

Comment

I think most Army records are on FMP but it may be worth looking at the following at the National Archives:

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

There are nearly 100 but you might be able to rule many out quite quickly based on what else you know and anyway many after the first few pages may be not relevant
                            Last edited by Bertie; 10-01-16, 14:56.

Comment

The one I highlighted at FMP is this one at TNA:

Reference: WO 121/29/21
                              Description:

JOHN MCDONALD

Born SPEYMOUTH, Morayshire

Served in 15th Foot Regiment; 39th Foot Regiment

Discharged aged 30 after 12 years 6 months of service
                              Date: 1797

However, you'd need to study them to ascertain if any relate to your John

Comment

How do you know he was in the army in that period and was in Ireland? Do you know the regiment at all or any other information?
                                I just have one or two sentences of narrative history on what he did after arriving in Canada to get set up. Fortunately those sentences offered that number and location. But that's also pretty much all I have. I have the names of his wife and kids, and the boat he came over on (the Dorothy, 1815).

Comment

I also found references to these two files on FindMyPast in the Chelsea's Pensioner Service Records - but can't access them. These two John MacD's were born in Inverness-shire, which is a relevant location in the big picture...

Name John Mcdonald
                                  Event Type Pension
                                  Event Year Range 1760-1913
                                  Event Place United Kingdom
                                  Birthplace Invernessshire
                                  Birth Year (Estimated) 1772
                                  Name John Mcdonald
                                  Event Type Pension
                                  Event Year Range 1760-1913
                                  Event Place United Kingdom
                                  Birthplace Invernessshire
                                  Birth Year (Estimated) 1774
                                  A couple years on the young side, but worth noting.

Comment

Description:

JOHN MCDONALD

Thanks. This looks like it has promise.

Comment

Description:

JOHN MCDONALD

I believe that the John MacDonald I want was discharged in JULY of 1797. It didn't have the month, did it? If those match...

Comment

Just found a baptism for 'Chirsty' at Boleskin

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Chirsty Macdonald
                                        Scotland Births and Baptisms
                                        Name Chirsty Macdonald
                                        Gender Female
                                        Christening Date 24 Dec 1791
                                        Christening Place BOLESKINE,INVERNESS,SCOTLAND
                                        Father's Name John Macdonald
                                        Mother's Name Anne Macpherson
                                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X