Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Foulds b.1826-1877

Having a few issues here.

some of you will have heard of William Foulds who emigrated to Connecticut-USA with his wife Fanny and son William.

I have William & Fanny's marriage cert but I'm blowed if I can find William on the 1841 smegging census! [I have him on 1851 in Allestree, Derby, England] then in 1860/1870 in USA census.

What I am looking to achieve is to find William in the 1841 and also look to see if he had any siblings and who his parents were. from records I have him being born in Loughborough, Leicestershire, England. BUT there also appears to be another William Foulds b. 1826 in LOUGHBOROUGH!! [which isn't MY William!] they sure do like to give me the runaround!..lol.

any help would be most appreciated thanks

William married Fanny Jan 1st 1844 gives his father as William a BAKER [and this was also William's occupation]

witness' were Charles Lydall [Fannys brother] and Harriett Hodgekinson [no idea!]

they marry in the parish church in the parish of Ashby de la Zouch after banns. I am looking at the moment to see if I can spot which of the 8 parish churches this would be!.

from looking it may be that the parish church would be St Margarets at Blackfordby, which is a hop-skip-jump from Wooden Box [nowadays known as Woodville] where they were living at the time of the marriage.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 09-01-16, 12:56.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

I assume you know this one isn't yours Julie? - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=8+9&ml_rpos=1
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes Elaine, this is the right one
      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        Yes Elaine, this is the right one
        Thought it probably was - concerned about change of occupation between 1844 marriage and 1851 census!
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
          I assume you know this one isn't yours Julie? - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=8+9&ml_rpos=1
          I don't know! am currently looking into this census, trying to see if it could be a possible.. and getting majorly confused at the same time
          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Thought it probably was - concerned about change of occupation between 1844 marriage and 1851 census!
            mm tell me about it!.. he goes from Baker to Weaver/FWK to FARMER and eventually ends up snuffing it in 1877 in Connecticut
            Julie

Comment

now you have me doubting myself Elaine!... that family that Chrissie found live in Woodhouse Eaves [which is not that far from Lough'bro]

but is like you say I hadn't even considered the occupations!

Shoemaker to Baker to Weaver/FWK seems a bit mad and then there is the fact that William says his father is William too and they are both Bakers.. I hate this flipping hobby sometimes.
              Julie

Comment

From Family search

William Foulds
                bap 14 Dec 1820
                General Baptist Woodhouse Eaves Leicestershire
                Father William
                Mother Mary Barkbey

Not got Ancestry at the moment but I know some Leicestershire non con bap are on there. Is that what Chrissy has found, if I click on it all I get is 'pay your subs!'
                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

William Foulds married Mary Barkby at St Marys in the Elms, Woodhouse Eaves 23 Feb 1807 Free reg

From the same batch number as William (1820)

Ann 12 Jul 1814
                  Hannah 21 Apr 1816
                  Eliza 16 Oct 1818

Not saying they are yours but might help eliminate them from census.

Also around the same time Edward and Elizabeth Foulds are baptising children at the same chapel. Worth looking to see if Edward and William the elder are brothers.
                  Last edited by Lin Fisher; 09-01-16, 14:56. Reason: added church name
                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                    From Family search

William Foulds
                    bap 14 Dec 1820
                    General Baptist Woodhouse Eaves Leicestershire
                    Father William
                    Mother Mary Barkbey

Not got Ancestry at the moment but I know some Leicestershire non con bap are on there. Is that what Chrissy has found, if I click on it all I get is 'pay your subs!'
                    Yes, the family has Edward Foulds as the head but he is a show maker and so is William!

Margaret

Comment

I have checked the 1841 images for the whole of Wooden Box and there is no sign of a Foulds family there.

Margaret

Comment

Have you noticed that on the 1860 US census there is a Henry Foulds immediately above William and his family and the occupation looks much the same as Weaver.

Do you know if this is a brother?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          I have checked the 1841 images for the whole of Wooden Box and there is no sign of a Foulds family there.

Margaret
                          thanks Margaret, they give their address as Wooden box in 1844, but that doesn't mean that they were living there in 1841

I have been trying [unsucessfully!] to see if Harriet Hodgkinson was in fact Harriet Foulds.. but not coming up with much!

Hi Lin, thanks I have so many windows open not sure which one I should be looking at first..lol
                          Julie

Comment

Have you noticed that on the 1860 US census there is a Henry Foulds immediately above William and his family and the occupation looks much the same as Weaver.

Margaret
                            erm no :emb: I hadn't seen that Margaret, do you have the link please?
                            Julie

Comment

I think this is the Henry living near William in 1860 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1

His father is William and he is a Frame Work Knitter.

Could this be the father of your William?

Perhaps the occupations on the marriage record are wrong or perhaps it's the wrong marriage?

Margaret

Comment

Here's the William Foulds (Folds) framework knitter in 1841 with wife Elizabeth. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...d=&usePUB=true

Margaret

Comment

Here's a William Folds in 1841 http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...d=&usePUB=true

Living in Loughborough occupation Man Servant to a Vet!

Margaret

Comment

I think this is the Henry living near William in 1860 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1

His father is William and he is a Frame Work Knitter.

Could this be the father of your William?

Perhaps the occupations on the marriage record are wrong or perhaps it's the wrong marriage?

Margaret

I am fairly confident that it is the right marriage, it's the bride that is actually connected to me, Fanny Lydall, her father is James Lydall a FWK that is my 3x gt grandad.
                                    Julie

Comment

Margaret
                                      doesn't matter I have found it now linked from my tree.. I see what you mean, I have no idea how I missed that! 'scoots off to see if I can find him in census'
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X