Anyone researching VECCHIETTI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone researching VECCHIETTI?

I'm trying to give my niece some ideas about where she could look for more info about this family. This is probably only of interest to someone who wants to have a look at someone else's puzzle as a break from their own!

So far as can be told, VECCHIETTIs aren't in her tree, but she was trying to work out a noticeable connection. It might turn out simply to be a friend-aunt, kind of thing, but it would tie up some loose ends to track it down.
    The principal name is: Margherita Aida Caroline VECCHIETTI, (all her her name's components appear with variants at different times!)
    • b 1892q4 Westminster VECCHIETTI Marguerita A C (there was a twin brother, Umberto Luigi G, whose death was registered 1893q4, aged 1)
    • bap 21 May 1893 Battersea, St Philip. Margarita Ida Carolina, d/o Quinto, restaurant keeper, & Ada VECCHIETTI; 43 Great Windmill St, SW
    • 1901: RG13/85 fo144 p13; 251 Vauxhall Bridge Rd, Victoria: VEECHIETTI Margherita Daughter Single Female 8 1893 - London, Middlesex, England
      • (same address as her mother, but her father is at a different address)

• 1911: RG14PN1186 RG78PN40 RD13 SD1 ED1 SN165; 10 Craven St, St Martin in the Fields, London: VECCHIETTI Margherita A C Daughter Single Female 18 1893 At Home Piccadilly English.
      • (same address as her mother, but her father is at a different address)

Telephone & other directories and Electoral rolls, track the mother, Ada Ann, and daughter through to
    • ER 1962 #4913 10 Stanwick Rd, W14 VECCHIETTI Margherita A
    • d 1962q1 10 Stanwick Rd, W14 VECCHIETTI Margharita age 69
    • London Gazette : d 16 Jan 1962 10 Stanwick Rd, W Ken, London W14 VECCHIETTI Margherita Aida Caroline Sp Freeborough Slack & Co, 15 Vernon St, W14, Solicitors (Horace William JACKSON)
    • Probate search: d 16 Jan 1962 10 Stanwick Rd, W Ken, London W14 VECCHIETTI Margherita Aida Caroline
    • Probate search: Prob 31 May 1962 JACKSON Horace William local government officer Effects £3978 17s 9d

~~~~~~
    For her parents, I have:
    • m 1891q4 Westminster. VECCHIETTI Gregorio Quinto N (I have speculated that this might stand for "Nervi") & WHEELER Ada Ann (who was in the same household as Quinto in the 1891 census)

Like, Ada and Margarita, Quinto appears in directories and censuses, but I can't find anything about him after these London Gazette entries - which are also reflected in other formal newspaper announcements:
    • 1917 Cr B'rptcy Windsor Ho, 311 Vauxhall Bridge Rd VECCHIETTI Quinto Hotel & Lodging-House Keeper 7 Jun #281 / 2 Jul 123
    • 1917 Cr B'rptcy Windsor Ho, 311 Vauxhall Bridge Rd VECCHIETTI Quinto Hotel & Lodging-House Keeper 1st & Final: 20s/£ + 4% int (Which is impressive, I thought!)

The London Gazette records Ada resuming British nationality:
    • 20-Mar-39 readmitted to British Nationality: VECCHIETTE Ada Ann. Italy. guest house keeper 167 Gloucester Terr, W 2

And her death is registered:
    • d 1954q2 Fulham VECCHIETTI Ada A age 88

If anyone happens to spot something relevant, I'd be interested, for my own satisfaction, to know what happened to Quinto after 1917.
    ~~~~~~
    Horace William JACKSON is the family connection for my niece, but we haven't managed to suss out why Horace's daughter would have called Margarita "Auntie Rita". In that era, that could easily be just a courtesy for someone who was too close to be called "Miss Vecchietti", of course. She was close enough for Horace to be her executor.

I spotted that the elcetoral rolls will be worth checking - if something of a slog. They record other name at the same address and, since the family were into hotels, apartments, guest/boarding-houses, and taking in lodgers, others at the same address are listed, and could give a clue.

We aren't chasing info specifically about Horace - quite a lot has been found for him, including his service records and the ICRC WW1 PoW records. But to save people chasing info we already have - or in case it triggers an idea for someone...
    • m 12 Sep 1896 Christ Church, Battersea JACKSON William, B, engineer 27; & WOOLDRIDGE Edith Mary Sp, 26; 28 Falcon Terr, Battersea (both)
    • b 1898q1 Marylebone JACKSON Horace William
    • 1901: RG13/706 fo51 p37; High St, Rebecca Terr, Swanscombe, Dartford: William, Edith & Horace
    • 1911: RG14PN627 RG78PN22 RD8 SD1 ED37 SN23; 190 High Road Kilburn N W: William, Edith & Horace
    • joined up 3 Aug 1915: Royal Engineers 248594 JACKSON Horace William
    • mssg 23 Mar 1918 248594 JACKSON Horace William
    • ICRC records of his capture, and imprisonment at Dülmen, near Münster
    • m 1923q3 Willesden. JACKSON Horace W & GRIMMER Alice C
    • d 1982q2 Abingdon. JACKSON Horace William DoB 9 Jan 1898

Thanks for getting this far!
    Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-01-16, 15:48.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

I found Ada and Margarita in the 1939 Register, too:
    1939 Regr Stanwick*, Fulham VECCHIETTE Ada A 1866
    1939 Regr Stanwick*, Fulham VECCHIETTE Marylerita A 1892

C
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Has she thought about buying a copy of her will? That might say "I appoint my nephew/friend etc.... Horace Jackson" as my executor.

Depends if she wants to spend the money. Would be interesting to see if she left everything to Horace or if there was anyone else.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I have drawn her attention to the Will option - but I hadn't "joined up the dots", as you have done, to see the possibility of that document carrying the explanation that she's after. Thank you.

C

Comment

Ada's naturalisation papers are at the National Archives in Kew; they might give more information about what happened to her husband.

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X