Correct Dyer Coat of Arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Dyer Coat of Arms?

I have been hoping to find the right coat of arms for a branch of Dyers.

One of them this forum helped me with in this thread:

They were in Gloucester, England going back to 1797 and presumably before.

But I can't say for sure that there isn't Irish heritage.

I've found a couple Western European coats of arms for Dyer, and I can't even make an educated guess which one is correct.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

A coat of arms belongs to an individual, not to a surname. Many people with the same surname will have different coats of arms. See:

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I'm no expert but my first thought is that it isn't so much a question of which one of the arms you have found is correct as of whether this branch of Dyers is entitled to any arms at all. Arms were/are granted to individuals and may pass down through direct descendants so I would want to trace the family back through the direct male line and look for evidence at each generation of whether arms were in use but my understanding is that even then the question of a right to use a coat of arms is extremely complex.
      The College of Arms is the authority for arms in England, Wales and N Ireland. www.college-of-arms.gov.uk
      Last edited by JudithM; 05-01-16, 08:56.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Also remember it is an offence to use, display or claim a coat of arms to which you are not entitled. You would know if you were entitled!

OC

Comment

Dye and Dyer are interchangeale and I have both names in Northamptonshire back to the 1690's. I have not, as yet, come across my lot as having any Coat of Arms!

As has been said earlier just because you have the same surname does not necessarioy entitle you to bear the arms, as the arms are named to individuals.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
            A coat of arms belongs to an individual, not to a surname. Many people with the same surname will have different coats of arms. See:

http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/resources/faqs
            +1. If you look at various sites (such as this one, or this one), there are too many too count. I'd exercise caution and avoid claiming a coat of arms under your own name, as many have recommended.

Had no idea up into recently that it was a legal offence to do so! :O

Comment

Working...
            X