whats up with Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats up with Ancestry

I now have no relationships showing, and this is what I get when looking at a UK passenger list for 1898
    look at the heading

1898.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 04-01-16, 23:31.

I suspect that they have got so big that whenever there is a change in their programming it can work for one section and completely mess up another.:(
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I got so frustrated with it last night I gave up.

Comment

I had the same with FMP newspapers yesterday. I searched and got some promising looking results. Clicked and ..... the result wasn't there!! Tried a few times and then in frustration copied the whole result of one search into the 'Keyword' box and lo! .... up came the right paper, a completely different date (by many years) and paper title (not even in the same county). How did that happen????
        Anne

Comment

Just taken a look. The relationship thing seems to be OK but I'm no longer the home person for my tree. It's now my sister. Don't know how that happened and the Tutorial didn't cover it.

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 05-01-16, 17:39.

Comment

I do think if they are going to change things they could at least make sure they work, there are so many things I could do on the old search but not on the new, like when I click on say a workhouse record I have saved to save it to another person unless I actually view it I dont know what date its from, if it does not improve drastically then I shant be renewing next time..

Comment

I have been a WW subscriber to A for a number of years but am thinking of changing over to FMP when my A sub runs out in a couple of months.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I think you will find quite a few people will.

Comment

Yes I made the switch to FMP recently. Ancestry have gone downhill fast in recent years - there has been a distinct lack of relevant new primary record sets from them of late; instead they seem to be concentrating on getting all their subscribers to put their trees on their website, which they then use to their own advantage. In other words, you pay Ancestry for the privilege of giving them free and unfettered access to your work, which they then profit from by selling to others! The last straw for me was Ancestry's announcement that they are discontinuing support for Family Tree Maker, thereby trying to force even more users to upload their trees and give them free use of their data. Hopefully FMP will not pursue a similar business model - time will tell I suppose! In the meantime I am voting with my wallet and taking my custom to one of Ancestry's biggest competitors.

Comment

I'm lucky in that I have both one is a xmas present, but must say FMP seem to be getting a lot better than Ancestry, such a shame, but they will realise their mistake when so many people dont renew, dont forget to unclick the automatic renewal will you.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                      ...getting all their subscribers to put their trees on their website, which they then use to their own advantage. In other words, you pay Ancestry for the privilege of giving them free and unfettered access to your work, which they then profit from by selling to others....
                      Yes, that was my conclusion, going back to when they started Mundia. But I doubt they'll see a big drop in the US market, and, IMO, I think they see AncestryDNA as their growth direction.

Comment

I've cancelled my sub for the same reasons as mentioned above. I have a lot of work on A - how do I save it when my sub runs out in April?

Comment

You can save the Gedcom of your Tree to places like FMP and even FSOrg.
                          However, when you save a Gedcom the pictures do not go with it. Just because you have ceased membership with Ancestry, it doesn't mean you can no longer access your Tree on there - you cannot, however, access "hints", public trees, etc.
                          My suspicion is that now people are so dissatisfied with Ancestry (in the UK at least), they will gradually go elsewhere and I wouldn't be at all surprised if FSOrg doesn't start charging.
                          You can still make people "guests" on your Tree (or at least I did recently and it worked).
                          At the moment I am not planning to re-join Ancestry - I feel the Tree is no longer mine and there are errors where things have been wrongly entered on the basic age/dob/marriage/death part of the Tree.
                          For the most part this is the end of family history for me - cannnot be bothered (age related) to start again somewhere else - so thanks ancestry - I was enjoying it until you ruined it.
                          Another thing that struck me is that when I am gone, unless they buy a membership, my family will not be able to view the Tree (if they are remotely interested) or even copy the Gedcom - I think the way to deal with this is make children, etc, guest on the Tree - they can view whenever they like. A copy of the Gedcom may be useful to family BUT no pictures of course.
                          Last edited by Sue1; 11-01-16, 14:45.

Comment

I always keep my photos, labelled with who they are, in two places for safety anyway. If anyone looks at the tree they will see who I have photos for.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I'm not an FTM user, so perhaps someone else could confirm this idea.

Others have posted that a sync'ed tree stores the document images collected on ancestry within FTM as well as on Ancestry.com.

If you bought a copy of FTM, sync'ed your tree (which would download all the document images and photos on Ancestry to your FTM tree), then save a gedcom within FTM - wouldn't that save the documents as well?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                I'm not an FTM user, so perhaps someone else could confirm this idea.

Others have posted that a sync'ed tree stores the document images collected on ancestry within FTM as well as on Ancestry.com.

If you bought a copy of FTM, sync'ed your tree (which would download all the document images and photos on Ancestry to your FTM tree), then save a gedcom within FTM - wouldn't that save the documents as well?
                                Yes, that idea works well. But the file you end up with that includes the images is an FTM file not a gedcom. I don't think a gedcom could ever include images. Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I would like to be able to save a gedcom with images!

At least doing this you get a 'sourced' tree with images for your own records and safekeeping. Maybe be someone will come along with a way of creating a gedcom file with images in due course.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret - you are correct in that a GEDCOM file does not store images, but in fact neither does the FTM file (at least not the newer versions of FTM). The images are stored as separate files, which by default are located in a folder called "<FILE> Media" (where <FILE> is the name of your FTM file). All the FTM file does is store the links to these media files. When you create a GEDCOM from a recent version of FTM (2012 onwards I think), these links are preserved in the GEDCOM, so theoretically any family history program that supports embedded media should be able to read this info from the GEDCOM (provided that you don't change the name or location of the media folder of course). For example, here is a piece from one of my Gedcoms:

0 @M6650@ OBJE
                                  1 FILE C:\Users\Documents\Family Trees\Richards family tree\Richards family tree Media\John_Smith_1851_census.jpg
                                  2 TITL John Smith family, 1851
                                  2 DATE 30 Mar 1851

The line beginning with 0 informs the program that what follows is an "object" (i.e. an embedded media file)
                                  The line beginning with 1 gives the name and location of the file
                                  The lines beginning with 2 are the "metadata" that you assign to the embedded file in FTM - i.e. the date, title, description, etc.

Of course, if you have an older version of FTM you may first need to upgrade it to 2012 or later. Best way to check would be to create a GEDCOM from your current version, then open up this Gedcom in Notepad or other word processing progam. Then search to see if you have the file links as shown above. Alternatively, if you don't have too many embedded files it may be easier just to relink them in the new program (not an option for me as I have over 10,000 media files linked!!).

Cheers,
                                  Richard
                                  Last edited by Richard in Perth; 12-01-16, 01:56.

Comment

Going off topic
                                    Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                                    Another thing that struck me is that when I am gone, unless they buy a membership, my family will not be able to view the Tree (if they are remotely interested) or even copy the Gedcom - I think the way to deal with this is make children, etc, guest on the Tree - they can view whenever they like. A copy of the Gedcom may be useful to family BUT no pictures of course.
                                    I have a tree on Ancestry but have not renewed my subs for the same reasons given above. Some years ago I uploaded my gedcom to Tribal Pages and gradually added all my photos and scanned documents. I found it more convenient to work on my Ancestry tree and every so often
                                    update TP with a gedcom from A.

One great thing about TP is that they can make a CD of your tree that can be then viewed on any computer. Although you won't obviously be able to update it again you can move around it just as the online one. You can also print off different types of trees and family views etc. from it.
                                    In other words you can view it just the same as your online one. I have had copies made for my grandchildren and they love them.
                                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I love Tribalpages I work on my tree elsewhere then import a new file into it now and then , I also back up my tree to a external hard drive just in case.

Comment

Don't you lose your photos/images when you import a new Gedcom to Tribal pages?

I have one tree on there with loads of atachments/photos etc but haven't got around to updating it from new info off ancestry.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                        X