Absconded from Workhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absconded from Workhouse

Just found a couple of my Stantons in The Southwark Workhouse ,it says they absconded, surely you were free to go.

Maybe they walked out without telling them.

I had a girl who was placed in employment from workhouse twice but absconded from second one and I haven't found anything since. She was 13 ish.
    Last edited by JBee; 04-01-16, 21:22.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Might mean that they left without formal discharge, and maybe wearing some of the workhouse clothing!

Comment

I did a tour of a Lancashire Mill a couple of years ago, I was also surprised to learn that some of the children had absconded and were brought back and punished the Mill owners treated them as property in the same way as slaves were described.

Edna

Comment

Thanks I wonder where she went poor lady I do feel sorry for her she must have had an awful life,we dont know what its like to be badly done by.

Comment

No, you weren't free to go, the workhouse owned you and you OWED them the cost of your keep and the clothes they had given you. Terrible times.

OC

Comment

Would she have been punished then ? as she was back in again quite a few times with the children.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-01-16, 22:32.

Comment

Yes, punished. You don't say when, but punishment could be bread and water, solitary confinement, extra work duties and so on. Remember that the workhouse was intended to be worse than any conditions outside it, in order to discourage people from popping in and out when they felt like a rest!

OC

Comment

how awful ,this was between 1848 ish and 1868 she was in there with at least one child sometimes more.

Comment

Working...
                  X