Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reformatory School London

Hello All,

I'm back here after recovering from my last all-consuming employment - it's been a long while. Hey ho back on the hunt and this is so much more fun
    I've discovered a relative on the 1871 census as an inmate at a reformatory school in Lambeth. This school does not seem to have a particular name but is located at Manor Hall at 78 Lower Kennington Lane and the "Head" Superintendent is Jane M Macartney born around 1815.

I've tried to find this "home" on Peter Higginbotham's site but without luck. So then I tracked Jane Macartney back to 1861 when she is working at a home for 'fallen women' sponsored by Charles Dickens.

I am trying to find out why my relation was at the home in 1871..

Glad to be back
    J
    Last edited by norwayjane; 03-01-16, 17:49.

any chance of giving us her name and where she was born and when ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      any chance of giving us her name and where she was born and when ?
      She's Alice Smith - it's all a bit delicate but I have her sussed - it's really the "school" I'm interested in - did she commit a crime or was she a "fallen woman" or is there another option?
      Jane

Comment

was her father by any chance a bricklayer ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          was her father by any chance a bricklayer ?
          Nope - he was a nurseryman labourer. The reference for the census in 1871 is

Class: RG10; Piece: 664; Folio: 31; Page: 12; GSU roll: 823322. thanks for your interest I'm just getting the hang of this again. J

Comment

If you have access to the 19th century British Library Newspapers and search for "Manor Hall Lower Kennington Lane" (including the inverted commas) there are several results. They suggest that it was the (Royal) Female Philanthropic Society. There's an entry in this book about it (page 65)

"established 1822 for the reception of young women convicted and imprisoned for the first time; those discharged from service for dishonesty, but not prosecuted; also, those who are ignorant and destitute"
            Jackie

Comment

An advert for donations in the Morning Post January 28th 1859 adds onto the last clause "ignorant and destitute who, though not actually guilty of crime, are in circumstances of peculiar temptation and danger"
              Jackie

Comment

Brilliant - thank you so much I'd been going around in circles for ages and really needed some fresh eyes J

Comment

knew if you were around Jackie you'd find something I'm getting bogged down by my lot

Comment

Working...
                  X