Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name read please

somebody Stantonstanton.jpg

looks like "mrs" or i thought at first "wm" but the start could be a "W" but the bit after is def not an "M", so can't be "wm"?

Comment

I'm going with "Mrs".

Comment

What sort of document is that, Val? It looks like Mrs to me too but that wouldn't be on any BMD cert for instance.
        On second looks - Is that a census? I don't think I've seen that on a census either.
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 03-01-16, 08:23.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          What sort of document is that, Val? It looks like Mrs to me too but that wouldn't be on any BMD cert for instance.
          On second looks - Is that a census? I don't think I've seen that on a census either.
          I believe it's Mrs and it's a census - 1841 by the looks of it. I have seen several like that or even just with an initial.

Margaret

Comment

Scottish 1841 census is covered with "Mrs", most annoying!

The purpose of census was not to identify a particular individual, so if the person filling in the form didn't know, or didn't want to give the first name then anything was better than nothing.

OC
            Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 03-01-16, 11:23.

Comment

Yes I've often seen
              Mrs on censuses too. In this case, someone of 'Ind' means may have considered themselves (or been considered) too posh to give a first name to a lowly enumerator!
              Anne

Comment

thanks everyone it is an 1841 census I am trying to find some Stantons in 1841 was hoping it might be one of them.
                Might put a look up on here.

Comment

Working...
                X