Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading poor handwriting

Hello,
    Can anyone help to read this letter of 1878?

The part I can't read is between the number 76923 and the name Lucy Buxton.

The letter concerns Lucy Buxton's early release from prision as she had caught consumption in prison.

Thanks

John Buxton

sorry I tried, is she the one who committed murder?

Comment

Hi. This is the best I can do for that section:
      ..the crown (?) to transmit for the information for Mr. Santry (?) ... & ... from the medical officer of Woking (?) Prison for t...s on the case of Lucy Buxton,

Hope someone else can complete it.
      Cheers

Comment

Well, she was convicted of murdering her 5 month old illegitimate son. The evidence was very flimsy and no motive was every shown.

Comment

In compliance with the instructions contained in your letter of the 13th instant No 76923 where the (3 words) for the information of Mr Asbury (I think)

a report from the special officer of Woking (?) prison for (1 word) on the case of Lucy Buxton.

That's about the best I can do John.
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

It reads: I have the honor to transmit for the information of Mr Santry ? a report from the Medical officer of Woking Prison for ? on the case of Lucy ...

Comment

Thanks everyone for assisting. So far I think it reads

"Sir,

In compliance with the instructions contained in your letter of the 13th instant, No 76923, I have the honour to transmit for the information of Mr Secretary, _____ & report from the medical officer of Woking Prison for _____ on the case of Lucy Buxton by which it will be seen that Dr Stuts is unable to clarify that further imprisonment will endanger the life of the convict."

Italics are words I'm not sure but I think the first is a reference to The Secretary of State for the Home Office.

Any suggestions for the two blank words would be welcome.

Thanks to Val wish I'd never started, Dublincat, Grumpy (great motto) and ftfmk for helping.

Comment

The word after Secretary ends oss, using the combination of long and short s in common use,at that time. Google furnished the name R A Cross for Secretary of State for the Home Office in Disraeli's cabinet during the 1870s.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                  The word after Secretary ends oss, using the combination of long and short s in common use,at that time. Google furnished the name R A Cross for Secretary of State for the Home Office in Disraeli's cabinet during the 1870s.
                  If the last 3 letters are oss then I can't find anything word other than Cross that would fit. But I thought the first character on the next line was a "&", could it be "a"? it would make sense at that. That would only leave one word to figure out
                  Thanks JudithM

Comment

Originally posted by John Buxton View Post
                    But I thought the first character on the next line was a "&", could it be "a"?
                    Yes, it is.

"Unable to clarify" should be "unable to certify".

And although it doesn't look much like it, I think the missing word is probably Females, because the women's prison in Woking at the time was called "Woking Prison for Females".
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-01-16, 23:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      Yes, it is.

"Unable to clarify" should be "unable to certify".

And although it doesn't look much like it, I think the missing word is probably Females, because the women's prison in Woking at the time was called "Woking Prison for Females".
                      Thank you Mary from Italy
                      I think you are correct. It now reads prefect sence.
                      Sir,
                      In compliance with the instructions contained in your letter of the 13th instant, No 76923, I have the honour to transmit, for the information of Mr Secretary Cross, a report from the medical officer of Woking Prison for Females on the case of Lucy Buxton by which it will be seen that Dr Stuts is unable to certify that further imprisonment will endanger the life of the convict.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                      X