Edward Le Bihan - bc1841 France d1921 Granville NSW - looking for info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Le Bihan - bc1841 France d1921 Granville NSW - looking for info

Can anybody help with filling in some detail on this gentleman. He was an artist (as was his father) and went to Australia but I am struggling to find him leaving the UK or arriving in Australia - he is mentioned as going to Australia early in a Chancery court paper looking to pay out money to him from his mother's account. I found his death on Austlit website.

I'd like to know whether he married and had any children - I think he probably did as there is a Francis H E Le Bihan/Lebihan showing a marriage on FMP & I'm guessing there are not many Le Bihans to the dollar in Australia. Also if there are any links to any of his artistic works - google not showing anything.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post
    Can anybody help with filling in some detail on this gentleman. He was an artist (as was his father) and went to Australia but I am struggling to find him leaving the UK or arriving in Australia - he is mentioned as going to Australia early in a Chancery court paper looking to pay out money to him from his mother's account. I found his death on Austlit website.

I'd like to know whether he married and had any children - I think he probably did as there is a Francis H E Le Bihan/Lebihan showing a marriage on FMP & I'm guessing there are not many Le Bihans to the dollar in Australia. Also if there are any links to any of his artistic works - google not showing anything.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give.
    Referred to here as Edmond with a son Leo requesting info re his whereabouts:
    Le Bihan (Edmond), lithographic artist, came to Australia in 1887; last heard of from Sydney in 1888. Son Leo asks.Australian Town and Country Journal Sat 8 Feb 1896

Some illustrations by him on this page: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page...ictag=Le+Bihan

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Could this be some of his Art work?

Discover the value of your art. Our database has art auction market prices for E. Le Bihan, Working c1896, Australia and other Australian and New Zealand artists covering the last 40 years sales.

Matt
      My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
        Could this be some of his Art work?

Discover the value of your art. Our database has art auction market prices for E. Le Bihan, Working c1896, Australia and other Australian and New Zealand artists covering the last 40 years sales.

Matt
        And some more here:

Apparently he was a staff artist for the Queenslander. (Based in Brisbane)

Have you seen this post on rootsweb and the reply?

Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 30-12-15, 14:09.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Another ref to him here as a shipboard artist:
          Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
            Following on from this rootsweb thread: yes it does seem the two different 1881 census records are connected, plus the son Leo who advertised looking for his father in 1896.
            Another variant on the name: Francis Henri Edmond Le Bihan full age lithographic draftsman of Westbourn St married Lavinia Smith full age of Melbourne Street on 28 June 1857 in the Parish Church of St Peter, Pimlico. Fathers were Charles Edward Le Bihan, artist and Stephen Smith, builder.
            As it looks like you have a FMP sub:
            1871 Francis H E Le Bihan, landscape artist in watercolours plus wife Lavinia and 5 children (over two pages) at Clifton Road, Camberwell: http://search.findmypast.com/record?...1%2f0004460870
            1881 Edmond Le Bihan with his widowed mother Francis - a ward of Chancery - in Hammersmith

1881 Lavinia Le Behan (sic) and 7 children in Camberwell:

There's lots more to follow thru but I haven't the time to post any further at the moment - you'll find lots more on FreeBMD - births in Hackney and Camberwell post 1857 plus subsequent marriages of various children and so on. Looks like the family stayed in England, that his (Edmond's) mother died 1893 but the probate is granted in 1909 to an attorney on behalf of Edmond - which rather implies they never tracked him down in Australia. If the advert posted by his son is correct and he headed to Australia in 1887 I don't think you will find him on UK outward as (from memory) there are only records from 1890 onwards on ancestry and/or FMP.

Christine
            Last edited by Karamazov; 30-12-15, 15:19.
            Researching:

Comment

Many thanks folks - the shove I needed. It appears I have two Le Bihan who went to Australia pre 1890. Edward bc1841 and his elder brother Francis Henri Edmond (FHE) bc1835. In the 1851 E&W census their parents are living in different locations and the brothers are apart. FHE married Lavinia Smith in 1857 & they had 10 children. FHE does not appear in the E&W 1881 census with Lavinia but she shows herself as Head and Married - he is with his widowed mother as per Christine's post above. I can't find Lavinia in 1891 (but I'm not looking to hard) and she dies in 1892. There must have been some form of communication to the UK as FHE (according to FMP) marries again in 1894 to Alice E Stewart and again in 1911 to Alice Moon when he would've been 76.

On 22 Jan 1910 the Queenslander published a legal notice relating to a case dating back to 1853 Cruickshank v Cruickshank (I haven't researched what this is about). But basically there was money in the account in Chancery for the mother of FHE - Isabella Frances Le Bihan wife of Edmund Charles Le Bihan. At the end of the legal stuff is a note which says: NOTE—The following persons or those claiming through, or under them may be interested in the said funds. The above named Edmund Charles Le Bihan, whose father resided at Lorient, department of Morbihan, in France, and Leonard George Le Bihan (who was a Sailor and last heard of about 1860), and Edward Le Bihan (who went to Australia at an early age), two of the children of the said Edmund Charles le Bihan and Frances Isabella Le Bihan.

If they were still looking for Edmund Charles Le Bihan the husband in 1910 he would've been c106. I can't find his death but Isabella Frances does describe herself as widow in 1881.......

I think the shipboard artist is FHE as to my mind that wouldn't fulfil the Legal notice of Edward who went to Australia at an early age.....

FHE's work is rather nice - I like watercolours.
              Bo

Comment

do you have the australian death certificate? it should have info marriage, kids should he had any. plus it should state where born, and how long in the colonies, usually stating which states he lived in too.

Comment

No I don't have the death cert - I saw the info on AustLit website. Can I get an Australian death cert if I'm in the UK?
                  Bo

Comment

his death appears in the NSW death index. you can order a transcript, which i believe is cheaper than an actual cert, or you can order the actual cert.

Comment

Many thanks - I'm very rusty with Australian research - I've not had much luck previously with tracking people down.
                      Bo

Comment

Working...
                      X