Newspaper reports of a death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper reports of a death

Joseph Dickenson (my Gt Grandfather) was a railway clerk & lay preacher for Primitive Methodist.Born Chorley 1854 he died West Derby in 1879 age 25yrs.I am looking for any newspaper reports of his death.
    At the time he left a widow Mary Ellen & 2 children Alexander b.1876 & Margaret Amelia b.1878.
    Someone quite sometime ago informed me that he was buried in Anfield Cemetery,Liverpool.
    Dying so young I wonder if his death was an accident which may have been reported in the newspapers.I am unable for various reasons to get the death cert.
    ​Bettyespana

When you say 'various' reasons?

I suspect this is him:

Dickenson Joseph 25 W. Derby 8b 368

So if you did want to order his death certificate to find out the specifics, you should be able to.

Having had a quick search of the newspapers section of FMP, I can't see any newspaper mentions of him.
    Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

There is a brief death notice in the York Herald of 27/6/1879. 'On the 24 inst. in his 25th year, Mr Joseph Dickenson of No. 93 Barrett Street, Liverpool'.

Not much help, I'm afraid.

merleyone

Comment

My great great uncle died aged 23 of TB, and many other members of my family died young of TB.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by merleyone View Post
          There is a brief death notice in the York Herald of 27/6/1879. 'On the 24 inst. in his 25th year, Mr Joseph Dickenson of No. 93 Barrett Street, Liverpool'.

Not much help, I'm afraid.

merleyone
          I think it should have read 93 Barnet Street Liverpool as that is what is on his daughter Margaret Amelias birth certificate of 1878.Amazing that it should be in the York Herald though.
          Thank you merleyone
          ​Bettyespana

Comment

Originally posted by James18 View Post
            When you say 'various' reasons?

I suspect this is him:

Dickenson Joseph 25 W. Derby 8b 368

So if you did want to order his death certificate to find out the specifics, you should be able to.

Having had a quick search of the newspapers section of FMP, I can't see any newspaper mentions of him.
            Yes this is my Joseph Dickenson thank you
            ​Bettyespana

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              My great great uncle died aged 23 of TB, and many other members of my family died young of TB.

OC
              This could be a possible cause I suppose,incidently I must correct myself Joseph was my Gt Gt Grandfather not my Gt Grandfather as stated.Margaret his daughter was my Gt Gran.
              ​Bettyespana

Comment

http://www.yoliverpool.com/ this is a very good informative Historical site for Liverpool and has a Forum too so well worth a look if you have people in Liverpoo'ls past.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                  http://www.yoliverpool.com/ this is a very good informative Historical site for Liverpool and has a Forum too so well worth a look if you have people in Liverpoo'ls past.

Edna
                  Thank you ,I will take a look at this site & see if that will be of help.
                  ​Bettyespana

Comment

His burial record is here: http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk...ted%201879.htm

Anfield Cemetery, unconsecrated ground:

Joseph Dickenson, buried 27 June 1879, age 25 years, Book Keeper, 93 Barnet Street West Derby.

Edit to say: probably the non-conformist sections were with the unconsecrated section. Strange otherwise for a preacher to be buried in the unconsecrated section!
                    Last edited by Richard in Perth; 30-12-15, 07:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                      His burial record is here: http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk...ted%201879.htm

Anfield Cemetery, unconsecrated groun

Joseph Dickenson, buried 27 June 1879, age 25 years, Book Keeper, 93 Barnet Street West Derby.

Edit to say: probably the non-conformist sections were with the unconsecrated section. Strange otherwise for a preacher to be buried in the unconsecrated section!
                      Thank you for this Richard.I quite agree with your edit remarks about being in unconsecrated ground.Josephs father Miles was on the Primitive Methodist Circuit along with all his 4 sons
                      Later Miles became Superintendant Minister.Joseph also married in one of the circuit churches.There must surely have been a non-conformist section aside the unconformist graves.
                      ​Bettyespana

Comment

Umconsecrated ground just means the ground has not been consecrated by the C of E. Noncons weren't worried about being in unconsecrated ground.

OC

Comment

Yes I was confused by my RC rellies being buried in non consecrated ground but then realised that many cemeteries have different sections for different religions.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thank you for that explanation OCH & JBee,that makes things a lot clearer.
                            I do appreciate the help you have given me.
                            ​Bettyespana

Comment

Working...
                            X