Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladys Maynard & Amelia Passmore

Hi all,

I am trying to find out who a couple of spouses on my family tree were, and so far no luck. I've managed to find one's DOB using the 1939 register, but I still can't find out who she'd have been born as.

1) Gladys MAYNARD

Born 22/06/1891 according to the 1939 Register. Married George HALE in Ottershaw 18/10/1913. Died Oct-Nov-Dec 1961. On their marriage certificate her father's surname is simply given as 'Maynard' but there's a blank space where the forename would go. George died in 1963.

2) Amelia PASSMORE

Born ~1919/20 according to her obituary, as she died aged 91 on 17/10/2010. Married Herbert Edward HALE in Ottershaw Jul-Aug-Sep 1940. Amelia is not yet viewable on the 1939 Register. Herbert died in 1970.

Any ideas where, when and under what names these two women were born? Logically they would be Surrey-born, but it's possible they were born abroad or simply used false names. Obviously I've considered that they didn't marry using their maiden names, but I still can't find anything suitable.
    Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Originally posted by James18 View Post
    Hi all,

I am trying to find out who a couple of spouses on my family tree were, and so far no luck. I've managed to find one's DOB using the 1939 register, but I still can't find out who she'd have been born as.

1) Gladys MAYNARD

Born 22/06/1891 according to the 1939 Register. Married George HALE in Ottershaw 18/10/1913. Died Oct-Nov-Dec 1961. On their marriage certificate her father's surname is simply given as 'Maynard' but there's a blank space where the forename would go. George died in 1963.

2) Amelia PASSMORE

Born ~1919/20 according to her obituary, as she died aged 91 on 17/10/2010. Married Herbert Edward HALE in Ottershaw Jul-Aug-Sep 1940. Amelia is not yet viewable on the 1939 Register. Herbert died in 1970.

Any ideas where, when and under what names these two women were born? Logically they would be Surrey-born, but it's possible they were born abroad or simply used false names. Obviously I've considered that they didn't marry using their maiden names, but I still can't find anything suitable.
    I'd be inclined to suspect that Gladys's father's name may have been unknown - and that his surname may not have been MAYNARD.

Have you tried variants for "Amelia"? I have had a bit of a look, myself, but without success. You also run the risk that she decided she'd rather be called "Amelia" and that she was registered with a different first name. I am fortunate n knowing my paternal grandmother's names, but could have had trouble otherwise!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've checked 'Passmore' on FreeBMD during those years and can't find anyone who'd match -- at least with the right kind of name. Also, there was one Chertsey birth, but she died shortly afterwards.

It's annoying that I have Gladys Maynard's birthday but no idea who she is!

Comment

have you considered amelia passmore may have been divorced or widowed at marriage?

Comment

Yes, but no luck in finding an Amelia or Millie marrying a Passmore during that era. Also, if she was born in 1919 then she was about 21 when she got married, so being divorced or widowed are unlikely.

Comment

Far out, but have you considered

Emily R (say it) Passmore Sept 1920. She's a twin.

OC

Comment

Good catch, OC. Sadly she died the same year.

Comment

Durh. That's twice in two days I haven't followed my own advice of killing them off!

OC

Comment

Have you got the marriage cert of Herbert Edward HALE and Amelia? If so, what does that one give for fathers name and occupation please?
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

That certainly seems to be my next port of call, Chrissie, although I may actually try to get in touch with one of their children, as so far I've had a pretty good reception from any relatives I've contacted re my family tree project. I also don't like buying certificates for people when I can possibly get a scanned version e-mailed to me. :D

Failing that, yes, I'll order it. I just wanted to find out what I could before I had to spend some cash, but Amelia is not available to view on the 1939 Register (yet) and I can't find any plausible birth records for her. Obviously it could be something as simple as she was born abroad.

Comment

That certainly seems to be my next port of call, Chrissie, although I may actually try to get in touch with one of their children, as so far I've had a pretty good reception from any relatives I've contacted re my family tree project. I also don't like buying certificates for people when I can possibly get a scanned version e-mailed to me. :D

Failing that, yes, I'll order it. I just wanted to find out what I could before I had to spend some cash, but Amelia is not available to view on the 1939 Register (yet) and I can't find any plausible birth records for her. Obviously it could be something as simple as she was born abroad.
                      Have you looked in Ireland and Scotland yet? Most people in UK years ago were British born. Also try the the Army birth records on Find My Past.

Margaret

Comment

Hi all,

1) Gladys MAYNARD

2) Amelia PASSMORE

Have you found Gladys at all in 1911? If not the address on the marriage cert might help.

Margaret
                        Last edited by margaretmarch; 31-12-15, 08:53.

Comment

The image of George Hale & Gladys Maynard's marriage entry is on Ancestry.

Gladys Maynard, 22 years, Spinster, Residence: Ottershaw [no address given], Father's name: Maynard (deceased)

Maynard is written directly under Hale, and there's a blank space where the forename should be, so she has clearly given the surname (real or not) but declined to put a forename.

It does make me wonder whether she either didn't want people to know any details, or she married bigamously.
                          Last edited by James18; 31-12-15, 09:12. Reason: Clarity

Comment

No sign of likely Amelia (or similar) Passmore birth in Scotland.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

If you are a subbie to FMP and have the death cert for Amelia use the update facility in the 1939 register for the address you think she should be at - assuming that is thst there are closed persons there and she could be one of the closed persons at that address.
                              You will get an acknowledgement email. Then about 3 weeks later another one letting you know if the record is now open or not. If not, they will say why.
                              Don't despair if it's a "not" because eventually they will update the register and Amelia will be opened. I had a "not" for an aunt who I thought was at home but wasn't. A fortnight after I got the email, I found her opened and got the correct address.
                              Last edited by GallowayLass; 31-12-15, 11:17.

Comment

I am neither a FMP subscriber nor an owner of her death certificate. :D

Might get round to it eventually, though, as I am certainly stumped with these two. As I say, I'll wait til after I've been able to get in touch with a few relatives. I think I have some contact details for Amelia's son, for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X