Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox browser?

Hiya

Has anyone the link for Firefox...the free browser please. The old computer was set up for me but it was on its last legs, I now have a new laptop - Windows 10 and need to start from scratch.....I feel a little out of my depth so any advice will be welcome

Thank You
    Jacky

Faster page loading, less memory usage and packed with features, the new Firefox is here.
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Ah, your a Gem....Thank you, Guy.
      Jacky

Comment

Guy: Husband has been considering uploading?downloading Firefox onto his laptop as it is not working very efficiently on whatever he is using at mo.
        I gave him your link above - and he starts to upload and then something called Babylon takes over - I don't remember this happening when I loaded firefox onto my computer .................he has looked up Babylon and it is suggested that it is nothing to do with Firefox. He is on his third attempt and suffering a failure of sense of humour! Do you know anything about this Babylon thing?

Sue

Comment

You want to try MalawareBytes. That will probably get rid of it.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy - husband has discontinued downloading Firefox for time being.
            We have McAfee on both computers but, as far as I know, it hasn't picked up any bugs. I think, if I remember correctly, Firefox points users in the direction of malaware bytes and also, I am sure someone told me, Firefox doesn't get on too well with McAfee. Sue

Comment

It is what is oten called a Potentially Unwanted Program, it is not malware and it is not a virus but Malwarebytes will remove it

Babylon developed by Babylon Ltd. is a potentially unwanted program and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects it as PUP.Optional.Babylon.A . Babylon is a desktop and browser translation application that comes bundled with various free software. Many users have no idea where Babylon / PUP.Optional.Babylon.A did come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that Babylon is a virus and that is the main reason why Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is detecting this application as PUP.Optional.Babylon.A.

Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Many thanks Guy. Had never heard of Babylon before. Husband abandoned loading Firefox as his browser - the computer has, anyway, to go and be looked at and he did mention that he would ask them to make Firefox his browser.
                Since I have used Firefox I really haven't had any problems.
                Thanks again, Sue + OH

Comment

I do hope someone can help me. I am on windows 7 which is incompatible with Windows 10 and causes purchase of new computer to be necessary at times!!! I am absolutely incandescent over what has just happened - windows 10 seem to have started a new push. My screen came up with "updates available" - the usual updates from windows I thought but was a bit surprised because I use Firefox. I clicked to see if there was anything interesting that I might find useful and lo and behold it is a new way of forcing you to use Windows 10 (or it is the first time I have seen it). The screen opened and it listed updates - because I had opened the screen it immediately started to download and it was WINDOWS 10. Normally you would get a choice of what you want to update or add to your computer. There was no choice - I personally regard this as sharp practice and I believe there is a law against that. Are microsoft really so hard up that they need to be quite so vile in the promotion of this. They don't appear to know I am using Windows 7 or don't care - when this all happened before there were quite a few Windows 7 users whose computers would not upload it BUT if it did it wrecked the computer. If I turn my computer off it is going to start to upload or download (haven't a clue which is the correct term). I did have some advice from Brian on here and put the codes into the computer that he gave me and have had no trouble since, until tonight. I believe free Windows 10 ceases pretty soon - this must be the last "push". Now, of course, I cannot turn my computer off as it will start to upload/download. I am in the middle of one of my rare ancestry 1 month subscriptions - really brilliant timing microsoft but I guess you couldn't care less if I lose my subscription because I can't use the computer.
                  I suspect microsoft think all computer users and young, bright, upwardly mobile folk! - I am not in that category sadly!
                  Sue - incandescent!!!
                  Last edited by Sue1; 18-10-16, 00:01.

Comment

I'm a bit confused Sue why are you so sure that because your computer is w7 that it is incompatible with w10?

many many users on here have been on w7 or w8.1 and naturally migrated with no issues whatsoever [myself included] yes, it is a little different to w7 but once you get used to that it is the same underneath. I don't use their version of [ie [browser] though, rebranded/morphed into 'edge' as I find it clunky and prefer Chrome]

I haven't found one of my programs that haven't worked under it yet, and that even includes FTM2012, which I was expecting issues with!
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I thought the 'free' Windows 10 had stopped in July? My latest computer magazine says MS have stopped 'encouraging' users to upgrade. Are you sure this is not a scam?
                      Anne

Comment

Hi Julie, Basically, in the first place, I do not want to use Windows 10 or whatever it is. Am happy with Firefox which has its own protection and I have had no problems whatsoever with it. I know/am pretty sure, that Windows 10 won't upload properly because I used to use a security disc to keep computer free of bugs (can't remember the name but could have been AVG) but got rid of it because it is not exactly compatible with Firefox - in fact it obviously doesn't like it - I used to get messages, after a "clean-up", saying "Ha,Ha, this is embarrassing, Firefox can't seem to deal with this" - I really didn't want to be part of one company's dislike for another. They did, however, keep trying to upload Win10 and it would never upload and on one occasion after an attempted install had to take it to computer shop. They also told me it is not compatible with my computer. I am not looking for trouble!
                        Explorer 10 is actually unlikely to upload onto my computer - they have tried before, so has AVG and it has "failed" each time BUT I do remember reading that if you have an old Windows 7 (and I have) it really can cause terminal problems - I am not very computer savvy and do not want problems plus right at this moment I am in the middle of an Ancestry subscription which I do not want to waste - it is only for a month so I work and work at the computer whilst I have it. The last thing I need is for something to go wrong and not be able to use computer. I am sure someone on here had to or knew of someone who had to, buy a new computer after trying to upload Windows 10 - they were using Win 7 and I read elsewhere of there being problems with Win7 computers. Plus I do not like companies feeling they can put what they want on my computer - it is mine and I would prefer to choose for myself what I have on there. If I turn my computer off, which is what they are asking me to do, Windows 10 is supposed to upload but as long as I keep it on, it cannot do so apparantly..........so extra electricity cost I suppose! Sue
                        my computer is a DELL Inspiron laptop
                        Last edited by Sue1; 18-10-16, 13:10.

Comment

Hi Ann, I did wonder about that - it was unusual that there was no "X" in the corner for me to get rid of it. There was no option whatsoever. Whatever it is, it hasn't uploaded because I haven't turned the computer off - they keep asking me to do this so that Windows 10 can upload. Sue

Comment

This might help Sue - for those who never want to upgrade to Win10

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks for that Kat. I can't pretend I understand what I have to do BUT sadly, very sadly, we have had a massive powercut and as soon as my computer goes off at the mains microsoft can load windows 10. I have no idea what has happened but my front page where people often put a picture had a lot of icons e.g. ftf, and all the others I use frequently - they have all gone. I can't get into ancestry.co.uk - so much for my months membership - I really am devastated and can't believe this has happenned. It is MY computer for goodness sake - I just wish others would stop messing with it. Now it is going to cost me money to get this put right. Not a happy bunny at the moment especially as research was going so well. Sue - totally and utterly fed up!

Comment

The Windows 10 Free Upgrade promotion ended on July 29th 2016 so it is highly unlikely that anything appearing on your display purporting to be the Windows 10 upgrade is legitimate.

Given the other issues you have mentioned such as disappearing icons, windows without 'close' buttons, inability to install antivirus apps I would suggest that your computer needs to be scanned thoroughly for both virus' and malware. If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself then I would recommend seeking help from a local computer shop.

If my computer, or any of the families computers, were behaving like this I would consider them infected and, if unable to resolve within 15minutes, would wipe and reinstall windows from scratch.
                                https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                                  Now it is going to cost me money to get this put right.
                                  Whatever you do, DON'T phone any number that comes up on your computer offering support to sort things out; it will almost certainly be a scam if this Windows 10 installation is a scam (which sounds very likely).

The only 100% safe way to sort it out is to take it to a computer shop. Not PC World, they are likely to rip you off as well; go to a local shop, travel to the next town if you need to, it will be worth it.
                                  Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                                  Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                                  Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                                  Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

Maybe this is a bit obvious but don't forget that Windows 10 is your operating system, a newer version than Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1. Firefox is simply a browser, ie. the thing you open to surf the internet. You do need a version of Windows to make your computer work (unless you use an open source operating system like Linux) but the browser you use is up to you. You can use the one which comes with Windows 10, which is now called Edge. If you don't like it, you can still get a version of Internet Explorer or use Opera, Firefox or whatever takes your fancy.

I hope whatever ails your pc is easily fixed xx
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-10-16, 19:24.

Comment

Many thanks for the advice - I am taking computer to computer man who we usually use when things go wrong, tomorrow. Something else really weird happened ...........as far as I know there is nothing wrong with our electricity system BUT this supposed windows 10 advert wanted me to turn computer off so they could upload - I didn't because I didn't want it on the computer BUT suddenly our lights started flashing on and off - telephone went off and TV - it came back on but went off on 4 occasions in quick succession but has been OK since - could this be anything to do with the computer that I wouldn't turn off - have never heard of household lighting being affected by a computer before. As far as I could tell no one elses lights were going on and off around us. I wish I knew a bit more about computers! I think, however, that you are correct in that the advert for windows 10 was not an advert for them and I have a bug. I think, sadly, that there is quite a bit missing from the computer and what IS there, is all in different places. FTF seems fine thank goodness.......unfortunately, having just typed the above, the advert has just come up again asking me to turn off computer so that it can FINISH installing important updates - this sounds very much to me as if some of it has been uploaded to computer!!! Sue

Comment

There is absolutely no way your computer can affect the lights and phone, unless you have home automation controllers and software installed.

If you are positive that no one elses lights were affected, then you should get an electrician to come and check your installation; you may have a loose connection somewhere, and that could potentially start a fire.
                                        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                                        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                                        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                                        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                                        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Working...
                                        X