Looking for Woodger's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Woodger's

Hoping someone can help and also advise me ......my Grandfather Alfred Henry Lewis Woodger 1900-1972 had a adopted brother Jack but i have no idea where to find any info for my family tree all i can remember was he lived in Leatherhead ,Surrey his wife was called Peggy ( i think) he must have died around the late 1960s early 70s.......he had children of his own too but i can't remember there names
    anyone ?

Have you tried the 1939 Register?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I have found a person by the name of Woodger in Leatherhead phone books whose birth entry shows mother's maiden name was Budd. There is a marriage of Jack WOODGER to Gwendoline J R BUDD in Q3 1936. Her entry gives spouse's surname as Smith or Woodger suggesting Jack was officially SMITH but took his "adoptive" parents surname of WOODGER . Both Gwendoline and Jack appear to be deceased - Jack in March 1975 aged 58, Gwendoline in July 1987 aged 70 both Surrey Mid Eastern.
      I have not named the possible sonas he is quite likely still living.
      Last edited by JudithM; 27-12-15, 16:10.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks .....i do wish i waited for a reply it just cost me £6.95 to find that out on the 39 register ......assuming I'm in the right 39 register ?
        I'm sure there children names were s...... and d.......my memory is not good ......were could i find out about any living children or relations ?
        Last edited by JudithM; 27-12-15, 16:19. Reason: Removed names of possible living people

Comment

Sorry, you must not post names/details of living or possibly living people.
          To find possible names look on the GRO birth indexfor surname WOODGER mother's maiden name BUDD

Comment

Originally posted by woodge View Post
            .....i do wish i waited for a reply it just cost me £6.95 to find that out on the 39 register ...
            But at least you have the satisfaction of having found them yourself!

STG

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
              But at least you have the satisfaction of having found them yourself!

STG
              And in any case you needed that 1939 info as there is no guarantee that the family I found for you is the correct one.

Comment

Judith so sorry , must remember that for future postings .......and thanks for all the help and advice

Comment

GRO ? what is this ? is it free ? remember i'm a total newbie

Comment

If you use this link

and click on Marriage
                    put Woodger in the Surname field
                    and
                    Budd in the other Surname field

you should find the 1935 marriage that Judith mentioned.

You could use the Surnames Woodger and Budd after 1935 to find the births of their children ...

Hope this helps
                    STG

PS : GRO = General Register Office

Comment

thanks STG .......wow all the names are coming back to me know thanks again

Comment

my Grandfather Alfred Henry Lewis Woodger 1900-1972 was married too Edith Challis they were married in sept 1924 (she died around 1982) she lived in 3 northfield rd ,cobham and died in a nursing home in west molesey ,Surrey but i am unable to find any info on her or any other relatives .....her family came from Bury St edmonds anyone have any clues where or how i should start ? DOB and DOD unknown any ideas anyone ?

Comment

get the marriage certificate, from the general register office (GRO) or the local register office (where the marriage took place). it will tell you their ages, and their father's names with occupations. then look in the 1911 census for your grandparents, and once you know when and where they were born, get their births. your grandmother's death should state when and where born (from 1969 on this was included).

Comment

Thanks for the info ......I have ordered the marriage cert from GRO .....Edith died in the 1980's but i can't find a date of death on free BMD search does it only go up to a certain year ?

Comment

On Ancestry there is a possible for you. A death of an Edith Woodger in Sept 1984 - Kingston Upon Thames Surrey Vol 13 Page 1767. It gives her date of birth as 15th June 1896.
                              This would possibly coincide with the birth of an Edith Challis who was registered in the July-Sept quarter of 1896 - Thingoe ref 4a 777.
                              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 28-12-15, 11:06.
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by woodge View Post
                                Thanks for the info ......I have ordered the marriage cert from GRO .....Edith died in the 1980's but i can't find a date of death on free BMD search does it only go up to a certain year ?
                                It only goes up to 1982.

STG

Comment

Edith Challis who was registered in the July-Sept quarter of 1896 - Thingoe ref 4a 777.
                                  Yes thanks noticed that and Thingoe is close to Bury St Edmunds where she was married .....I have a old post card she sent to her Uncle, Frank Challis if i could find him i may find the whole family ...........its pretty addictive this and very interesting
                                  Last edited by woodge; 28-12-15, 14:02.

Comment

Yes its seriously addictive but at least its legal
                                    Angelina

Comment

There is a possible family on a tree on Ancestry, but no uncle Frank Challis for her. The only Frank (Frank Ernest Challis) that I found in that family would have been her brother. There was one other Frank in that family, but he was the son of her grandfather's son and lived in Sheffield.

When the marriage cert arrives with her father's name and occupation we should be able to help you further. If her father turns out to be George Theophilus Challis it would be good ;)
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The only Frank (Frank Ernest Challis) that I found in that family would have been her brother.
                                        well my error, re-reading the post card my Gran sent it's from her baby daughter hence calling him Uncle Frank and its posted to R Challis , School Road ,Ride Bury St Edmunds assuming her brother stayed at home still R challis could be her Mother ?
                                        Last edited by woodge; 28-12-15, 15:53.

Comment

Working...
                                        X