Privatising all notes with a single click before exporting to gedcom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privatising all notes with a single click before exporting to gedcom

I want to put my tree on My Heritage without the notes. It is currently in Family Treemaker 14. It includes 8,500 people and is the result of 16 years research. In the last month I have discovered that the only way to make notes private in Family Treemaker and Family Tree Builder is to individually lock them. This would mean doing it 8,500 times every time I wanted to update the web tree.

Is there any software that can privatize all notes with one click?

Previously I have managed to do this in Family Treemaker before converting to gedcom and then using a program called HTML pedigree to transfer the gedcom to an HTML tree. (This software has long since been overtaken by new browsers which is why I’ve had to dismantle my site and look for an alternative).

Should be grateful for practical suggestions!

I have seen mention of a utility called Res Privata which I believe can do something like that with a Gedcom file. I have no persoal knowledge of it though.
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel Dakers View Post
      I want to put my tree on My Heritage without the notes. It is currently in Family Treemaker 14. It includes 8,500 people and is the result of 16 years research. In the last month I have discovered that the only way to make notes private in Family Treemaker and Family Tree Builder is to individually lock them. This would mean doing it 8,500 times every time I wanted to update the web tree.

Is there any software that can privatize all notes with one click?

Previously I have managed to do this in Family Treemaker before converting to gedcom and then using a program called HTML pedigree to transfer the gedcom to an HTML tree. (This software has long since been overtaken by new browsers which is why I’ve had to dismantle my site and look for an alternative).

Should be grateful for practical suggestions!
      Yes - I do that through Family Historian V6 when I need to upload GEDCOMs anywhere. You have a lot of scope in that software over what you save to the export GEDCOM file before uploading it anywhere else.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Why not just transfer your original tree to another FTM tree minus the notes field and make your GEDCOM from that? My old FTM 2006 can do that.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. Family Historian V6 sounds like the answer for me. Sooner or later I shall have to replace Family Treemaker so perhaps the answer is to do it now!

Comment

I have been using Red Privata since 2006 to create strip out private and other information from GD files before I send them on to others

It is no longer on a website as a download, but it is available as an archived tool on the Family Historian website

The user giide file states:
            "
            Features:
            =========

Automatically removes birth details for living persons.

Provides an option to replace names of living persons.

Provides options to remove death details, marriage details, adoption details, notes, source citations and multimedia links.

Provides comprehensive choices to control exactly what birth, death, marriage and adoption details are removed, including
            the start year for data removal.

Removes all references to sensitive information, including unused GEDCOM tags - which also helps reduce the size of
            your GED files, and provides greater compatibility with dynamic GEDCOM to HTML generators.

Keeps GED files GEDCOM Standard Release 5.5 compliant with an option to remove user-defined and non-standard tags
            and data.

Saves your options so that you don't have to set them more than once. If you have several GED files, you can save options
            for each GED file. Alternatively, you can save different options for either sharing with close family members or publishing on the Internet.

Filters an unlimited number of records in each GED file.
            Keeps your original GED file intact by creating a new filtered copy."

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            I have seen mention of a utility called Res Privata which I believe can do something like that with a Gedcom file. I have no persoal knowledge of it though.
            Anne
            Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 27-12-15, 14:43.

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

8,500 people! :O
              Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
              Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
              Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Working...
              X