Marriage, Coleraine 1889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage, Coleraine 1889

Helping a friend research her tree, we find ourselves in Coleraine Registration District with the marriage of Samuel Law and Matilda Campbell in 1889. Samuel and Matilda had a son called Campbell, who was my friend's grandfather. She "knew" that Campbell was named after his mother's maiden name, and believes that Matilda was Scottish.

Until I started helping her I knew absolutely nothing about Irish records, and now only really know that the 1911 and 1901 censuses are on-line, but virtually every census before that was lost to fire during the 1920 uprising. We have the family on the 1911 and 1901 census records and, helpfully, in 1901 Samuel's father William was with them, so that neatly takes us back another generation. I've searched Ancestry, FMP and FS, but not been able to find any more info.

So, if she decided to buy Samuel and Matilda's marriage certificate (a) where do we buy it from (i.e. weblink), (b) how much would it cost and (c) what information would it contain, please? And, where else could I look for info?

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Isn't Coleraine in Ulster? In which case, you want the Northern Ireland records, rather than those for Eire.
    Contact details for the General Register Office for Northern Ireland which is within the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency and administers marriage law and the registration of births, deaths, marriages, civil partnerships and adoption in Northern Ireland.

I suspect that at that time, 1880's, the certs would give the same information as those for England & Wales, because it was before partition.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-12-15, 10:26.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet

Yes, Coleraine is in Ulster now, but back in 1889 the whole island was just known as Ireland

Just clicked on the link. £15 !!! for a marriage certificate! Extortionate! Why does it cost so much more than an English/Welsh one? Also, doesn't say what's on the certificate - do they look the same as the English/Welsh ones from that time, for instance?

According to the 1901/1911 census info the family were Presbyterians.

STG
      Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 22-12-15, 10:30.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
        Thanks Janet

Just clicked on the link. £15 !!! for a marriage certificate! Extortionate! Why does it cost so much more than an English/Welsh one? Also, doesn't say what's on the certificate - do they look the same as the English/Welsh ones from that time, for instance?

STG
        It’s only £15 if you order a certified copy. If you are content to view the image of the certificate on-line, it just costs £2. Irish marriage certificates were based on English ones and so contain exactly the same layout and information. Non RC marriages were registered from 1.4.1845. Births & deaths from 1.1.1864. Prior to that you need to rely on church records, and other sources. Not all are on-line.

Try the PRONI website for wills.
        Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
          It’s only £15 if you order a certified copy. If you are content to view the image of the certificate on-line, it just costs £2.
          Oh, where does it say that, pls?

Comment

Helping a friend research her tree, we find ourselves in Coleraine Registration District with the marriage of Samuel Law and Matilda Campbell in 1889. Samuel and Matilda had a son called Campbell, who was my friend's grandfather. She "knew" that Campbell was named after his mother's maiden name, and believes that Matilda was Scottish.

Until I started helping her I knew absolutely nothing about Irish records, and now only really know that the 1911 and 1901 censuses are on-line, but virtually every census before that was lost to fire during the 1920 uprising. We have the family on the 1911 and 1901 census records and, helpfully, in 1901 Samuel's father William was with them, so that neatly takes us back another generation. I've searched Ancestry, FMP and FS, but not been able to find any more info.

So, if she decided to buy Samuel and Matilda's marriage certificate (a) where do we buy it from (i.e. weblink), (b) how much would it cost and (c) what information would it contain, please? And, where else could I look for info?

Thanks
            STG
            Hi STG,
            If you are happy enough to just view the certificate you can do so for £2.00 via https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk
            You just need to have a balance of £0.40 credit to do unlimited searches, then top up your credit to view any cert you want at a cost of £2 for 5 credits for the full view.
            Samuel and Matilda married on 28th Nov 1889 in Coleraine.
            You can search for births with mother's maiden name. It's a brilliant resource. The only slightly irritating thing is that you can only search in 5 year stretches - no idea why.
            You can get round that by using familysearch for anything up to 1922 which covers the whole of the 32 counties including the 6 counties which are now Northern Ireland and then using any likely results to search the geni website in the relevant five year period. Familysearch has the Civil Registration Indexes up to 1958 for the Republic/26 counties
            Anything post 1922 in the north is via the geni website above.
            Of course, which side of the border they were on post-partition in 1922 will determine which sites you use. If in the north, use the geni website. It has the usual 100, 50 and 75 year cut offs - currently births up to 1915, deaths up to 1965 and marriages up to 1940.
            If they were in the Republic/26 counties post 1922, use http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.i...vil-search.jsp. Same cut off points as above. You can order copies of Irish Republic BMD certs from Roscommon for 4 euros. I'm sure Elwyn will pop along again shortly to tell you how to do so. Hope this makes sense.
            I'll send you a PM.

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

You used to only be able to view the image for two pound. You used to be able to screenshot the image too. Don't know if this is still the case.

Comment

Oh, where does it say that, pls?
                Use the search marriages option, not the order a certificate one.

Yes you can take a screen shot. Or even a photograph if your IT skills don't allow for a screen shot. The image on the GRONI site is stored for about 48 hours, and you can revisit it free during that period. After that you would need to pay another £2 to see it again.
                Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
                  Yes you can take a screen shot. Or even a photograph if your IT skills don't allow for a screen shot.
                  Thanks for the info.

My IT skills would allow me to take a screen shot, but my photography skills wouldn't allow me to take a readable photo. And, although I have a phone on my camera, when I plug it into my laptop, the laptop finds the device, but says all the folders are empty. ;)

STG

Comment

The marriage is showing on https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/search/marriage.

You can purchase with credits an enhanced view or a full view. There used to be a rule that you were not permitted to take screen shots but I can't see it now in the T&Cs so maybe they decided they couldn't stop that so took it out.

Enhanced views cost 1 credit and show more than you can see on the search result and full views cost 5 credits give a transcript and an image of the register entry.

I have some credits that I can use to buy the full view if you would like me to.

Margaret
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 26-12-15, 08:47.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                      The marriage is showing on https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/search/marriage.

You can purchase with credits an enhanced view or a full view. There used to be a rule that you were not permitted to take screen shots but I can't see it now in the T&Cs so maybe they decided they couldn't stop that so took it out.

Enhanced views cost 1 credit and show more than you can see on the search result and full views cost 5 credits give a transcript and an image of the register entry.

I have some credits that I can use to buy the full view if you would like me to.

Margaret
                      Hello Margaret - long time, no see!

When I click on the link it needs me to login, and as I haven't got to that stage yet, I'll save it for another day when I have the time to do it all properly.

Very generous of you to offer me unused credits, but I'm thinking that I really ought to do it myself and get used to how it works - just in case I find myself back in Northern Ireland in any future researches - especially as they seem to be so cheap if one's just viewing online.

Will report back when I've managed to navigate the system successfully.

Thanks again
                      STG

Comment

Hello Margaret - long time, no see!

When I click on the link it needs me to login, and as I haven't got to that stage yet, I'll save it for another day when I have the time to do it all properly.

Very generous of you to offer me unused credits, but I'm thinking that I really ought to do it myself and get used to how it works - just in case I find myself back in Northern Ireland in any future researches - especially as they seem to be so cheap if one's just viewing online.

Will report back when I've managed to navigate the system successfully.

Thanks again
                        STG
                        I realised that afterwards when I checked the link!

Hope the weather in UK isn't getting you down too much - we were back for 2 weddings in May one of which was in Rutland and then another at the end of June of my niece but that was in Cheshire.

We have settled nicely here in Spain and enjoying a very full social life.

Good luck with the research and let me know if you need any help as I have done quite a bit in NI as my father was born in Balfast and all his family came from that area.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                        X