William deakin of Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William deakin of Yorkshire

Anybody searching the Deakins of Yorkshire. Especially William Deakin and Elizabeth's marriage circa 1760. Been my brick wall for 20 years!!!

Hi and welcome to FTF.

I'm personally not looking for any Deakins in Yorkshire, but if you want help breaking down your brick wall, then can you give us a clue as to which part of Yorkshire they lived in, and anything else you know about them?STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks for replying. William Deakin was bapt. Skipton, Yorkshire in 1773 before moving to Lancashire with his parents William Deakin and Elizabeth. I have been searching the marriage of William and Elizabeth without any luck. William died in Ormskirk Lancashire 1808, but his will did not leave any clues of his whereabouts in Yorkshire. He was a tenant farmer and I have searched his Estate papers hoping for a clue.

I was a member of Ancestry who hold a lot of Yorkshire parish church records but no help. Just can't get a lead anywhere. Any advise or help would be very greatfully received.

Comment

Welcome to FTF!
        The 1773 baptism for William is indexed on FamilySearch (do you have a copy). but not finding the marriage there. Archer provides a convenient look at what is indexed on FS:

Which seems to imply that Skipton is indexed for the period in question, and so is the Chapelry of Bolton Abbey (CofE; "Bolton Abbey is a chapelry in the parish of Skipton.")
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-12-15, 01:52.

Comment

The best site for Yorkshire records (North & East Ridings) is FMP. Although the collection is not yet complete, you can browse through the images of the registers of the various parishes.

You may like to investigate here - http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles...930.1448462101
          It is a subscription site, but I think you can probably take out a short term sub.

As far as I know, Ancestry only covers the registers of West Riding parishes, apart from other random transcriptions.

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-12-15, 12:57.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay. I have been forever trying to find the Deakin marriage. I leave it for months and then something triggers my interest off again but had more or less given up. But, hey ho, you have started me off again and may join FMP. Will let you know should I have any success. Strangely, it is usually me helping folk with their searches but I am so glad to have help with my Deakins.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. The Archer site is amazing and I will be happily spending hours on it over Christmas. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Joanny View Post
                ...may join FMP...
                Libraries (including your local Family History Centre) may have access to FMP

Comment

Perhaps they didn't marry in Yorkshire - have you tried Lancashire, Westmorland, Cumberland?
                  Any other known children - if so, when & where were they born?
                  How sure are you that the Skipton bp is the right one for your ancestor - do you have anything else to link Wllm sen & Elizabeth with that event?

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

William Deakin born circa 1772, son of William and Elizabeth, gave his place of birth as ..........Yorks in the 1851 census. William senior and Elizabeth settled In Ormskirk Lancs circa 1780 and had a large family bapt in the parish church. He died in 1808, and I have a copy of his will. Apart from the children bapt. he refers to two other children, John and Elizabeth who must also have been born in Yorkshire.

I have searched for their births, but because they are so early details of parents become so scanty. Sometimes I find a William or John, and the details may just show "son of William". Or, maybe "son of Elizabeth".

I have searched Lancashire thoroughly for the marriage. But maybe I need to search westmorland.

i am not sure that Skipton is the correct parish but it is the only bapt. I have found for William son of William and Elizabeth Deakin circa 1772.

Comment

Where was William jnr in 1851, please? Have you located any possibilities for the sibling John?

One of the problems with Yorkshire research is the size of the county. FMP have the records for N & E Ridings, whilst Ancestry have those of the W Riding; throw into the mix that there are 3 different county record offices (one for each Riding) and yet more "local" record offices and numerous family history societies covering various parts of the county and each doing transcriptions etc for events in their region. So, you need a wide search net as one resource does not cover everything.:(
                      There appears to have been at least one other contemporary of William Deakin sen, but in the mining areas of the Rotherham district. At a quick glance, the Skipton 1773 bp appears to have been the sole Deakin event in that parish, suggesting that it probably wasn't the "home" residence of the family.
                      Have you tried any of the newspaper sites to see if you can find references to the family? Sometimes obituaries give details of where folks were born lived, worked etc and family members.

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-12-15, 11:17.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hello Jay,

I posted a reply to you, but unfortunately sent to the Forum Admin? Sorry for the delay.

william Deakin jnr was living in Apply Row, Wrightington Lancs in the 1851 census. Gave his age as 77 and born in Yorkshire. In the 1841 census, he lived in Mawdesley, aged 65 and said Yes to being born inLancs!

William Senior died in Ormskirk 1808. He left William most of his assets with provision to look after hie wife Betty. After the death of his wife, all his assets are to be divided between his children except for his son John to whom he gave one shilling! This John is the mystery because I can't find his death or will. He didn't name his other children. But shortly after they settled in Ormskirk, there is a Bapt of William to Elizabeth Deakin single women. Im assuming that Elizabeth was born in Yorkshire.

i have checked newspapers for details of Williams death. No reference to parents whereabouts.I agree with you about the Bapt of William in Skipton.. This somehow indicates they were on the move.

J.

Comment

Working...
                        X