Two Josephs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Josephs

I'm working on a tree for a second cousin and have found two baptisms of a Joseph, son of Richard and Sarah Hastely/Hastelow (various spellings); one on 5 Jan 1757, the other on 4 Apr 1758 - both at Kingsbury, Warwickshire.

For those of you with Ancestry, here are the links:

Joseph 1 - 1757

Joseph 2 - 1758

I know that peeps gave children the same Given Name, but mostly because the first one died and the second was named after the deceased child, but ....

.... I'm wondering if the entry underneath Joseph 1's baptism, is actually his burial. But then I may be clutching at straws because I can't find a death for Joseph 1 before Joseph 2 is baptised.

Any ideas, anyone, please?

Thanks
    STG

Edited to say: I have no reason to think that there's more than one set of Richard/Sarah Hastily/Hastelow (etc) parents baptising their children in the village at that time.
    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 13-12-15, 12:46. Reason: extra info
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Looking at the first link it does say that he was baptised then underneath burial details.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
      I'm wondering if the entry underneath Joseph 1's baptism, is actually his burial. But then I may be clutching at straws because I can't find a death for Joseph 1 before Joseph 2 is baptised.
      I'm reading that as
      5th bap. Joseph son of Richd & Sarah - Hasteley
      16th bur. Joseph Story

The word on the right hand side seems to be the surname so am guessing it's a totally different family/person.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        I'm reading that as
        5th bap. Joseph son of Richd & Sarah - Hasteley
        16th bur. Joseph Story
        .. which is how it has been transcribed
        Warwickshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1535-1812
        Name: Joseph Story
        Burial Date: 16 Jan 1757
        Burial Place: Kingsbury, Warwickshire, England
        Elaine

Comment

.... so am guessing it's a totally different family/person.
          You're breaking my heart :(

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
            You're breaking my heart :(
            Sorry for that!
            I did have a look for an alternative - there doesn't appear to be anything in Kingsbury and searching the whole Warwickshire burial database just using 1757-8 didn't help much either, although there are quite a few entries which just list the first name of Joseph, even though when you click on the image a family name is given.
            I thought maybe he could have been buried in a neighbouring parish, maybe with other family members, e.g. grandparents - but wasn't sure which of the parishes listed were near to Kingsbury. Might be worth taking a look - you probably know the place names better than I do.
            Elaine

Comment

Sorry for that!
              I did have a look for an alternative - there doesn't appear to be anything in Kingsbury and searching the whole Warwickshire burial database just using 1757-8 didn't help much either, although there are quite a few entries which just list the first name of Joseph, even though when you click on the image a family name is given.
              I thought maybe he could have been buried in a neighbouring parish, maybe with other family members, e.g. grandparents - but wasn't sure which of the parishes listed were near to Kingsbury. Might be worth taking a look - you probably know the place names better than I do.
              Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any further back than Richard and Sarah [ yet], so the grandparent option doesn't work in this context. When they married in 1753 in Kingsbury, Sarah surname was Huet. Nothing comes up nearby in Warwickshire for that surname, although there is a Sarah Huet b in Shenstone (just over the border in Leicestershire) that's a possible, but it's just the only option, rather than necessarily being the correct option - if you see what I mean. And Sarah is such a common name!

The baptism of Richard, even with a less common name, are eluding me too. The surname is written as Hastelow/Hastilow/Hastelon/Hastilon/Hastely/Hasteley etc. But even searching on hast* doesn't bring any rewards.

The reason I wondered if the burial underneath Joseph 1's baptism was his, is because I was hoping that the word written under Hastely was some sort of representation of ditto/same/whatever. However, I can hardly convince myself, let alone anyone else!

Oh well, back to the drawing board :(

Thanks
              STG

Comment

Working...
              X