1939 register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 register

I have just been having a quick look at the 1939 register and I found my mother's entry.It gives both her maiden and married names but she did not marry until 1941. Can anyone explain?
    F

Same with my mother - the register was used after WWII - for NI/NHS purposes, so married names were added at relevant later dates,

Judith

Comment

Yes although Parliament was assured the 1939 Register was not being used after 1951 when the 1939 Registration Act was repealed the 1939 Register was used until 1981.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thank you both very much.
        F

Comment

Guy, it was updated until 1991, wasn't it?
          Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
          Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
          Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Oops yes, that'll teach me to do two things at the same time.
            I was also answering questions about my marriage in 1981 to one of my grand children at the same time.
            Cheers
            Guy

Comment

Guy

you married one of your grandchildren??????????!!!!!!!!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                Oops yes, that'll teach me to do two things at the same time.
                I was also answering questions about my marriage in 1981 to one of my grand children at the same time.
                Cheers
                Guy
                :D:D made me laugh there, Guy.
                Jacky

Comment

:D that made me laugh too Guy.:D
                  Angelina

Comment

Shame on you all laughing at an old man's disability. :(
                    Just you wait until your old and the years pass like weeks and the decades like years.

In the meantime I plead insanity.

Cheers
                    Guy

Comment

My great aunt remarried in 1951, two years after her first husband died, yet she is on the register in her second name

Similarly, both my brother and my uncle should have been closed as they were born in 1929 and 1925 respectively. But they are open to view ........... brother died in 1990 and uncle in 1991
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

It was updated with deaths until 1991 Sylvia, which is why you can see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                          Shame on you all laughing at an old man's disability. :(
                          Just you wait until your old and the years pass like weeks and the decades like years.

In the meantime I plead insanity.

Cheers
                          Guy
                          Oh, Guy - it made me think of the book, Eats, shoots and leaves which has a totally different meaning if you remove the comma.

That's two chuckles today - thanks!
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 14-12-15, 07:10.

Comment

There's no shame in it, Guy. It was big in ancient Egypt.
                            Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
                            Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
                            Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Jill

I did realise that was the reason, as I knew before I looked how long updating had continued.

But a lot of people do / did not realise that.
                              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I submitted a death certificate to get a record opened but (so far) although it has opened the person on the image it has not on the transcription. So if you are waiting for a record to be opened do look at the image rather than the transcription. Or maybe both, perhaps they are updated separately.
                                People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                                Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

I've just had an email from FindMyPast to say that unlimited access to the 1939 Register will be included in my World FMP Subscription from the 16th Feb , very good news !
                                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Yes a number of people have reported similar emails on other forums
                                    Cheers
                                    Guy

Comment

That's very quick given that they need to recoup their costs. Good news indeed.

Comment

wonderful news but did you scroll down and see the price to renew world when it runs out ? I dont really understand it as it says its only available to new members?

Comment

Working...
                                        X