High CPU usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High CPU usage

My Windows 7 laptop is running slow and shows CPU usage of 100% most of the time - even if I'm not doing anything it still shows 80-90%.

I've run a scan (MS Essentials) and a disk cleanup which haven't made any difference.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try?

if you google there are all sorts of suggestions one is if you have skype make sure it isn't running as it uses a lot ,the other is this what I found.

After shutting down the laptop remove the battery and charger plug .Then press start button just like for switching on the laptop and hold the button for 10-15 seconds. Computer will not start as there is no power but it can remove the problem (This is just like removing the battery in mobiles when it hangs etc: ) After that again place the battery back and start it as usual.This helped me . Now it is fine.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-12-15, 19:27.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Val. I tried removing the battery, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked.

I've also tried starting in safe mode and CPU usage is still around 40-50%.

Googling brings up suggestions about fiddling with the registry which I don't want to do!

Comment

Hi Lindsay, I am not computer expert,
        CPU I think stands for Central or Control Power Unit
        I had a similar problem years ago, but remember
        it was because it was on its way out, get it checked
        at a Local reputable repairer, it will save you a lot
        time and energy. Robert

Comment

CPU = Central Processing Unit i.e. the processor (brain).

Use Task Manager to see what process is using the CPU and you will be able to see what program is causing the issue. There should be no need to go anywhere near the registry.

I would also check to make sure the fans/vents aren't obstructed and causing the machine to run very hot
          Last edited by AntonyM; 11-12-15, 10:19.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
            CPU = Central Processing Unit i.e. the processor (brain).

Use Task Manager to see what process is using the CPU and you will be able to see what program is causing the issue.
            Nothing shows as using more than 1% CPU (most are 0%) but CPU usage is still 80%+.

I did wonder if it was Trusteer Rapport which I installed a couple of months ago as recommended by my bank, but I've switched it off and it makes no difference.

Comment

Have you checked to see if you have a virus or a trojan using the CPU, that is more likely than any program hogging the resources?

Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                Nothing shows as using more than 1% CPU (most are 0%) but CPU usage is still 80%+.

I did wonder if it was Trusteer Rapport which I installed a couple of months ago as recommended by my bank, but I've switched it off and it makes no difference.
                Rapport has a well-documented reputation for slowing PCs to a halt. I uninstalled it within a few days, as it increased boot time by three to four times, kept the CPU at more than 50% and continually accessed the hard drive. I personally would not rely on MS Essentials/Defender, as it is quite a basic tool and there are plenty of free alternatives out there which outperform the MS offering. Bitdefender is my favourite AV as it is almost silent unless it sees a problem. Coupled with a monthly Malwarebytes scan and some common sense regarding what not to click on, you should be able to do without Rapport.
                Rick

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Rick, having read up about Rapport I was wary of installing it but I didn't notice any change in performance (and I was looking). However, I've tried uninstalling it and the CPU usage is down slightly - now 'only' 70-80%.

I take on board what you say about MS Essentials, although compared to the problems I had on my old computer with a bought anti-virus it's been a dream - completely invisible!

I think I'll spend the weekend making sure my backups are up to date and speak to the local computer repair place next week.

Comment

This is a brilliant programme to run it cured mine you have a trial period

Comment

Working...
                    X