uploading to ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uploading to ancestry

I am olmost ready to activate my subscription to FTM and I am curious about some aspects
    what are the advantages / disadvantages of uploading and linking my FTM program to ancestry
    does it give me more access or does it give ancestry more information for their own use
    I am not really worried who can see the tree but I am curious as to who else can use it and how
    brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.

I would recommend you read this thread as FTM is about to be retired, read what other people think of it.

Edna

Comment

One you have uploaded it, it's entirely up to you whether you make it public or not. If it is public it can be copied by anyone with an Ancestry subscription which some people are against, on the other hand it can bring some very fruitful contacts. As Edna says. changes are coming, you will still be able to have an ancestry tree but after a specific date you will not be able to link it to your FTM program.

Comment

edna and jill
        thank you both for your replies
        I was aware of the impending changes and will do my work with that in mind
        brian
        avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

I am, at the moment, in the process of uploading my trees (built over many years with Family Historian). I am finding it an interesting excercise! At the moment I have the 'private' button clicked so no one else can see my trees. Eventually I am intending to make them public so they are still there when I pop my clogs. Unless you have specifically given permission, no one else can alter your public trees, although, of course, they can copy them and use your attachments. For me that will be the whole point!
          Anne

Comment

I used the automatic updating between ancestry and FTM which is very useful and I will miss. At least if you can't get onto the internet you can see an up to date tree on your computer.

I also used tribal pages where I have pictures and documents but unfortunately I have to enter everything by hand. If I just download a new gedcom from ancestry I've lost all the pictures etc.

I am still in two minds over making my trees public - I've seen what can happen with only giving a person some info and I'm still not convinced they're even connected and if so very very very distantly. Also a lot of people just collect names that might fit without checking. Also there's some delicate info which would be made public - however once I'm gone what will happen to all my research so should I make it public now?????

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

That's my thinking .... when I'm gone people may as well be able to see my stuff. Obviously I'm not claiming its all correct but I am reasonably confident and its is certainly more rigorous than much of the dross on public trees. My thinking is that I know people will "steal" my certificates and so on but if they are of use that's fine. I know they may be attached to 'rubbish' and unconnected trees but hope that those who are serious would engage brain and do some thinking for themselves.

In the end it ME who has had all the years of fun doing it. If someone just copies without thinking carefully that's their hard luck!
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                That's my thinking .... when I'm gone people may as well be able to see my stuff. Obviously I'm not claiming its all correct but I am reasonably confident and its is certainly more rigorous than much of the dross on public trees. My thinking is that I know people will "steal" my certificates and so on but if they are of use that's fine. I know they may be attached to 'rubbish' and unconnected trees but hope that those who are serious would engage brain and do some thinking for themselves.

In the end it ME who has had all the years of fun doing it. If someone just copies without thinking carefully that's their hard luck!
                Anne
                I agree Anne. In the end it's what you've done and why, that matters not what other people do. I have been cross with folk who have 'willy nilly' incorrectly attached my family to their tree but when I'm gone I don't suppose anyone else will care and I live in hope that someone 'serious' will sort it all out. If not hard luck!
                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X