Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilhelm Wege, German, help with birth place

Hi everyone!
    I'm sorry if it's the wrong place to ask for help.

I'm trying to find where my great grandfather was born in Germany so I can order his birth certificate and send it to the German Consulate.
    I tried talking to my family but unfortunately, all I got is written below.

Wilhelm Wege (My great grandfather)
    Arrived in Brazil on 04-november-1920 with his father, stepmother, brothers and sisters. He was 15 years old. The ship was called Sofia, and came from Trieste.
    His name is written as Wilchelm in the ship passengers list. (I think it is a typo).
    His name was changed to Guilherme Wege in Brazil (the same way it could have been to William if he went to the US)
    Guilherme Wege can be found on familysearch easily, and they even have a Brazilian document from where I got his birth date! Unfortunately, there are no information of where he was born, it just says he is from Germany.

Mother: Johanna Wilhelmina Elisabeth Wege
    Passed away before they came to Brazil.

Father: Karl Wege
    Arrived in Brazil on 04-november-1920 with Emma, his new wife, and with his sons and daughters. He was 50 years old at that time.

I tried everything I can think of, slightly changing their names and surnames when searching.
    Familysearch, ancestry, rootsweb, lots of German websites (I don't read German, so it's reeeally hard).
    A website suggested splitting the search, for example, first look for Prussian, then Bavarian, then Baden and so on. Still nothing.

Unfortunately my grandfather passed away a few years ago, and nobody knows of any document of my great grandfather.

Please, if you have any suggestions, just let me know.

Thanks!

Ouch, I forgot to write his (Wilhelm Wege) birth date.. It was 22-Jun-1905 according to the Brazilian document found at familysearch.

Sorry

Comment

Hi Val! Unfortunately it isn't him, as he came to Brazil. Thanks for the support!

Comment

Your FREE genealogy starting point with more than 317,000 genealogy links, categorized & cross-referenced, in more than 200 categories.

Your FREE genealogy starting point with more than 317,000 genealogy links, categorized & cross-referenced, in more than 200 categories.

The above are from cyndislist.com and both contain many ways of searching, also you can check out our own reference library the link on the top of the page

Edna

Comment

Not a lot for germany is online. It also covers large territory currently part of austria/poland/hungary/slovakia etc do death certs in brazil record birthplace? What about naturalisation records?

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
            http://www.cyndislist.com/germans-from-russia/

The above are from cyndislist.com and both contain many ways of searching, also you can check out our own reference library the link on the top of the page

Edna
            Thank you Edna, I'm looking into those websites right now!!

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            Not a lot for germany is online. It also covers large territory currently part of austria/poland/hungary/slovakia etc do death certs in brazil record birthplace? What about naturalisation records?
            Unfortunately, his naturalisation record don't have the city he was born, only his birth date. The death record also don't have this.
            Thank you Kyle!

Comment

http://www.agfhs.org/site/index.php not sure if you have checked out this one

Edna

Comment

Working...
              X