Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone researching the surname GEORGE???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone researching the surname GEORGE???

i have posted before about coming to a dead end regarding my george family. a very hard surname to research as searchs often bring up anyone with the first name george.
    william george was born in holloway london and had a few siblings. other than one sister i have not been able to get follow the others any further.
    i didnt expect researching to be easy or things to just fall into my lap, but noone has come forward with any info.
    william george born 1924 died 1958...surely someone knew him or his family. i was told he worked for islington council. lived in holloway/islington...please anyone with any info big or small please get in touch... or even if your last name is george and arnt sure of a connection please also get in touch. sister phyliss married albert middleton.thanks in advance running out of ideas

I take it you are trying to trace forward the siblings of William rather than going backwards in time? Were all the children born in London? Have you found whereabouts the parents died? (This might give clues as to whether the family moved around, or stayed put.) Did William marry? If so, do you have information from birth certificates/bp entries for any of William's children - these would give some form of address and occupation for William .

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-12-15, 15:50.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

hi there thanks for the reply i have managed to go back and the only reason i am trying to go forward is for my mum. her dad died when she was 4 so was trying to find if there was any aunts and cousins etc. williams mum and dad died before she was born. william married my grandma in 1949 and died in 1958. my grandma has dementia so cant help with any info. i have been researching a couple of years. i have ordered some certs but nothing seems to have come of the info. i thought it would be harder going back but its definetly harder going forward.xx

Comment

I guess you have gone through any old family papers and photos to see if any names come up?
        If William had any older brothers they may have died in WW2 and Common Wealth War Graves Commission has 343 people surnamed George who died in WW2 so if you are bored you could go through each one and see if any 'spring out' at you.
        final thought is he on 1939 register?
        Angelina

Comment

had another thought - does Grandma have an old address book you can look through and try to work out who is who from that?
          Angelina

Comment

Do you have a copy of William's birth certificate, which will give the names of his parents? That could help to identify other children of their marriage, i.e siblings of William.

You're not alone! - I find tracing forward after 1911 more difficult than going back in time because there is less information available online.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There are several possibilities for William George born London 1924 in the GRO index.
              Did he have a middle name, do you know the date of his birthday, as this could narrow down the search a bit. Or, even if you know the first name of his mother, that could help.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Am I right that your William was registered in Islington district , which covers Holloway, in the September quarter of 1924, mother's maiden name Flanagan.. If so II can see the siblings you refer to in the index, (but won't name them in case they are still living.) If you can find the family on the 1939 register you may find female siblings entries have been updated with married surname (though will only work if they died pre 1991 so therr entries are not closed.)
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

yes william was born in aug 1924 and his mothers maiden name was flanagan. ive looked on the 1939 register and found his father and the other person living there is locked.(im guessing i will have to prove that william has died) i have all of my grandmas old photos but other than than there isnt anything else ie address book. she had williams marriage and death certificate in with the photos but that is all.

Comment

Hi jamming

not positive its any use to you but while searching my own George family,i came across a London electoral roll entry for 1945 with your pyliss George
                    Is it possible that the Kate s George in your list extended her name ?

I wont quote the names because I cannot find death records for them, but it seems you may have rellies in the edware/Hendon area.

please let me know if you would like me to PM you - or apologies if you already have the info

lorraine
                    Lorraine

Comment

Hi there thanks for the message. Phyllis f George was my grandads sister if it is the same one. Any info you have would be great. I look forward to your pm. Any links in my George family and yours? Kind regards claire

Comment

Hi Claire

Have sent you a PM
                        Lorraine

Comment

Working...
                        X