Prerogative Court, class Testimentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prerogative Court, class Testimentary

I have found the following information on FMP. It is from the Record Office of Ireland 1849.Class Testamentary.
    Testators name; Charles Ryan 25 Jan 1849.
    What is the significance of the date? This is followed by his residence and Esq. The others have widow,spinster etc. Is this because he had greater social standing?
    Year of Probate is 1849 and then there is a number; 187 followed by P or I. What is the significance?
    Is all this saying that he actually wrote a will?
    Thank you in advance,
    F

A testator is a person how leaves a will. So I suspect that Charles Ryan died 25 Jan 1849. Probate was later that year, 1849. The fact that he is referred to as a testator and the was a probate hearing confirms that there was a will. The 187 may refer to a reference to the probate hearing, No 187 for that year, that month or that session, however it was recorded in that location

Not sure about the P or I

Esq = esquire, a rather obsolete term now days but basically used a term for a person of standing in the community but where no other titular form of address is used

Comment

Thank you for your reply. It was as I thought, but I had to be absolutely sure!
      F

Comment

Working...
      X