Baptism Entries Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism Entries Help Please

Hi. Can anyone give me some guidance on what may have led to this. I have a Page of entries from Brook Street Baptist Chapel Derby, 1789-1808. All of the entries are by the same Minister and all in the format " Alice Daughter of John and Alice Holmes " ; for example, with the exception of the two I am interested in which are stated as " Ann Bradbury Daughter of William and Ann Robinson" and "Elizabeth Bradbury Daughter of William and Ann Robinson" the entries are two years apart with " Normal" entries between them.
    My query is what possible circumstances may have led to the entries in this format. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Regards. Rick Massey

I would suggest that Bradbury is being used as an additional first name ... as in "Ann Bradbury ROBINSON".

A nearby chapel (Soresby St, Chesterfied) has a baptism in 1828 where the father is named as Josiah Bradbury ROBINSON, so it may be a family using that naming tradition in the area.

(in fact, based on his baptism in 1798 he may well be the elder brother of Ann and Elizabeth)
    Last edited by AntonyM; 24-11-15, 09:58.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Would totally agree with Antony. At baptism, only forenames (Christian names) are given and recorded - the family name (surname) is used to identify which particular set of parents.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-11-15, 11:19.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

As Janet says - baptism entries rarely (if ever) give the child a surname - they only give surname(s) for the parents. Indeed, birth certificates also do not have any surname shown for a child until fairly recently (1969 I think).
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I have done a search on Familysearch of names with Bradbury for first or middle name and Robinson for surname in Derby so here is the link you can check them for yourself

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...2C%20Derby%22~ click on this link

Edna

Comment

Thanks to all for the help ~ makes things much clearer. Rgds. Rick

Comment

Working...
            X