Daniel Dolphin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Dolphin

I have hit the proverbial wall with my Great, Great, Great Grandfather. Perhaps someone can confirm whether the information I have been given could be correct.

Daniel Dolphin married Mary Gray, by special licence, at St George's Church, Bloomsbury, London on 6th September 1829. Going by later census information, his birth would have been c1801, he died in Emsworth, Hampshire(West Sussex) in May 1873. All that is fact. But finding his birth, or parents is a different matter.

A relative of mine in New Zealand also looked to find earlier relations, but could only suggest that he was probably born in the Parish of St. Luke's, Old Street, Middlesex. I have tried contacting each of the churches, only to be told that all the records of the time were transferred to the London Archives. The London Archives said that because of the location, these would have been transferred to the Metropolitan Archives. An enquiry sent to them said they were probably destroyed by enemy action during WW2.

As it stands this seems to be the end of the road.

Arthur

A lot of the parish registers held by London Metropolitan Archives are available on Ancestry.
    They are transcribed but you can also search the images.

To search for a particular church, on the right side of page select Borough >> Parish >> year

Had a quick look but cannot see anything for Daniel Dolphin - I did see some variants on the name, e.g. Dolfin, Delphin so worth bearing that in mind.
    Elaine

Comment

The marriage entry in the parish register is available on Ancestry. One of the witnesses was Ann Dophin - possibly mother or sister ... worth bearing in mind.
      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
      Elaine

Comment

On the baptism of son David Henry Dolphin, Daniel is recorded as a pork butcher of Marchmont Street. A David Dolphin, son of Robert Dolphin, pork butcher of Marchmont Street, gave evidence in an Old Bailey trial in 1819. There are several baptisms to Robert and Ann Dolphin in Bloomsbury, but unfortunately not on for a Daniel.

However, with a witness Ann to the marriage being a potential mother, the venue for the marriage being Bloomsbury, the naming of a son David after perhaps a brother, and the butcher of Marchmont Street connection, that should at least give you a good lead.
        Rick

Comment

Everything you all say is absolutely correct, but all other lead come to a dead end.

Thanks

Arthur

Comment

I have found the names David and Daniel were often wrongly transcribed / recorded probably due to flowery writing style.

Comment

am quite amazed to see he was a mariner and blind in 1851 1861 and 1871 or is that the wrong man ?

Comment

Ditto - I have many Daniels who were mistranscribed as David and vice versa - write the two names in flowery writing and you will see they are almost indistinguishable.

(David was at one time a very rare first name for a Christian)

OC

Comment

Newspaper reports 1869-1870 show Daniel Dolphin, of High Street, Emsworth, variously as Beer house keeper and dealer in Petroleum before the court on separate occasions for selling beer out of hours and for keeping Benzodrine on his premises without a licence. One of those reports also shows him as blind, so most probably the right man.
                  Apart from the 1841 census at Maidstone, which recorded him as a Shoem(aker?), later censuses usually record him as a Pensioner, Trinity House and it may well be that blindness was caused by an accident while serving with them as a boatman/mariner, hence the pension.

merleyone

Comment

If he was of Scottish descent you also have the Donald/Daniel interchanging.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

To go over one or two points raised above. Daniel was going Blind by degrees, and towards the end of his life actually had to be admitted to the Westbourne Workhouse for several days, until taken in by relatives. As for him being a Mariner, I think that expression was used in a fairly loose way. He actually worked for Trinity House, who looked after things like lighthouses. Whether anything to do with that position caused the onset of his blindness, we are unable to confirm. But we do know he only was with them a short time, but was awarded a pension from them. Sadly Trinity House also now do not have records of that period in time.

I'm not sure about him being a Beer house keeper, but we do know he was at various times, a 2nd Mate with Trinity House, a Teacher of Music, a Pork Butcher, a Shoemaker, an Ironmonger, as well as a Trinity House Pensioner. It was while he was an Ironmonger that he appeared in court for keeping Benzodrine without a licence.

Many thanks to all who have replied, and all suggestions will be looked at.

Arthur

Comment

You know Arthur it makes me feel so sad for him to be going blind but still finding jobs to do must have been so hard on him.
                        I did look for him yesterday but not successful will try again later after I have done the dreaded ironing.

Comment

did he have a brother David ? going through the baptisms there is one for a David but for the same date is another which looks like Daniel to medaniel.jpgdavid.jpg

Comment

Hope the ironing went well Val. I can't say whether he had a brother or not. So far all of our findings have been after his marriage to Mary, so anything is possible proving any findings is a bit difficult with the lack of actual records from the local churches. We think he was probably born in the Parish of St Luke's (Old Street) Middlesex. The birth date is approximate, having been deduced from later census records. We are certain he was a Londoner, But then lived in Maidstone, Kent, Brighton, Sussex, and Emsworth, Hampshire or West Sussex depending upon the record you look at as they were only a mile apart.
                            Certainly from his 10 children, 2 were born in London,4 in Maidstone and 2 in Emsworth. He died at High Street Emsworth and was buried inWestbourne Cemetry.

Arthur

Arthur

Comment

Working...
                            X